• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My new Falcon 1.5-5

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Just received it this morning. Thanks RWS.
First, I should explain where I'm coming from. My defintition of the perfect AR optic is:
1-10x
FFP reticle
SFP illumination
10.5" or smaller
30mm
not $2500...
No such monster...

Why did I buy the Falcon? It's $235

What was expecting?
Clear glass (like all Falcons)
Non day light visable illumination
Too large for a 223
Heavy

What do I think?
Glass is very clear
Green illumination is useless
Red illumination is visable on a cloudy day for sure, defintely not in bright sunlight (but still good).
Defintely NOT to large for my 223
Not nearly as heavy as I was expecting
Fit and finish is good
Dont like that you have to turn past the hightest setting to truely get the highest setting (see pic below)
Dont believe the eye relief is 4.5". You can see in the pics below how far I had to set it back to get a good sight picture.
I did notice there is a little illumination bleed over on the far right side of the crosshair (contacted RWS)
No target turrests, must remove caps to adjust
Havent shot it yet but overall I'm impressed. Did I mention its $235...

ac88ca02.jpg

a8679ac4.jpg

9759cb8f.jpg

9af55248.jpg

-T

Re: My new Falcon 1.5-5

I got mine too a bit ago and have fooled around with it - on mine, i actually preferred the green (at least with mine) over the red. I thought the green had an even distribution overall, i have a slight dark spot in the red - but the green i can see even during the day.

I do agree, if i turn the green on the highest - it is way too bright. I'm going to shoot with mine this weekend weather permitting. I don't mind the 2nd focal plane reticle either - with the 1.5-5x i think ffp would be pretty tough at 1.5 - but either way, i like it.
I do have to get rid of my hooded front sight on my sig556, maybe replace it with a folding one, since the rings i have don't match the front sight for co-witness or anything.

Interesting...the green on mine is hardly noticable unless it has a darker background. Red is far superior.

Couple other things:
The power knob is much easier to turn than other Falcons. Like it.
My Bobro non-extended mount barely, I mean barely fits. There is zero room for movement. Luckily it lines up well.
Interesting that the front objective has internal threads, would be nice to have an ARD at some point.

-T

Love mine as well. On the highest setting, green is VERY bright, both red and green can be seen well in daylight. Love the way the knobs feel, they have good resistance. The whole scope feels well built and has REALLY good glass for the price. I used a Millett DMS-1 as a comparison due to similar price and similar use. The Falcon is the clear winner in all categories. This scope is a definite buy for the price.

ETA: Try putting in the extra battery it came with, may help with the illumination brightness. Mine gets VERY bright on the highest setting. I get a green halo around the edge of my view on the highest setting. Not as much with red.

I like it alot. Not quite as good as the new Vortex or the USO jnp (I think that's the name). Not precision reticle nor should it be. To me the circle is key to a qcb reticle. Can't seem to get a good reticle pic but here is the layout.
432d6fa7.jpg

BigBoss0311 - i have the exact same experience as you with the green... on the brightest, i actually get a halo too, when it's bright outside, i don't see the halo as much, if any. I can't wait to try it out. As far as the build of the scope, it actually just looks like one of their regular scopes cut down, in a way. The back end (eye piece and focus) seem the same as on my 5.5-25x falcon.

I've been looking for an optic for my 18" DSA SA58 and was originally thinking the new Vortex PST 1-4x would be a good optic. I haven't owned any Vortex scopes (though I do have a Strikefire), so I don't have any firsthand experience with them. I do have a Falcon 7.5x Menace which I've been very happy with. Would the Falcon 1.5-5x be a good option for my FAL, or should I stick with the Vortex PST?

The Vortex is still an unknown so thats a tough question. I'd be willing to bet the glass on the Falcon is as good as the more expensive Vortex. I'd also bet that the illumination will be similar, non bright daylight visable.

-T

yeah - another thing to add from my experience of initially looking though it... the eye relief changes slightly - not much when zooming. And getting the sight picture on 1.5x is pretty easy, but i don't think it's as quick as say maybe the millet or something like that. I've actually handled the GRSC gen 2 scope for a test period and that had a quicker acquisition.
I think it might have to do with the falcon's shorter eye relief. Did anyone else find this to be true on theirs?

I agree cryekzz. It does have a very tight eye box at any mag in my opinion. Interestingly with scopes like this, using them for quick aquisition/qcb, and the illumination on, you actually don't need to line up to get a sight picture. Simply find the illumination put it on the target and squeeze. When your eye is misaligned you get a black background which is perfect if you are using it against a bright background. Takes a little practice.

-T

yeah - i'll have to try that - i did sight my sig556 in at 50yds (100 yds was closed) but everything was perfect left to right out of the box. I adjusted about 12 clicks down and i was in the bullseye. I thought i'd add that my sig shoots well too... 1st time i really shot with optics on it - wow. Anyways, the turrets at .1 mil are true for me. Next time i go out, i'm going to try and shoot standing with my foregrip on.

I had my illum on brightest green against a white paper/black bull and the illum is noticeable - not as bright as a aimpoint, but i can see it looking through. I guess with my 1st trip to the 50yd range, i like the scope.

note: no reticle cant i could detect and re-zeros well. I don't dare bang it around, i'm not really like that with my scopes since i paid alot
smile.gif
but i'm sure someone will have to eventually do a "torture" test on the falcon scopes.

- matt

Mine came in late last week. IR seems OK in both colors but haven't shot it yet, that'll have to wait a couple weeks. I like the glass and reticule a lot, focused easily for my eyes. Mine eye relief works out just like the photo, eyepiece right over the castle nut.
Anyone know which Butler Creeks fit yet?
Is the knurled cap end on the illumination knob a parallax adjustment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NordicG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking for an optic for my 18" DSA SA58 and was originally thinking the new Vortex PST 1-4x would be a good optic. I haven't owned any Vortex scopes (though I do have a Strikefire), so I don't have any firsthand experience with them. I do have a Falcon 7.5x Menace which I've been very happy with. Would the Falcon 1.5-5x be a good option for my FAL, or should I stick with the Vortex PST? </div></div>
I just ordered the Falcon to put on my FAL. The Vortex 1-4 is nice,but I don't know how long before they release it. For $230.00 shipped, you can't go wrong with the Falcon.

Forgot to mention, the clicks are really really good. Very positive.
-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine came in late last week. IR seems OK in both colors but haven't shot it yet, that'll have to wait a couple weeks. I like the glass and reticule a lot, focused easily for my eyes. Mine eye relief works out just like the photo, eyepiece right over the castle nut.
Anyone know which Butler Creeks fit yet?
Is the knurled cap end on the illumination knob a parallax adjustment?
</div></div>

Nope - it's the cap for the battery compartment

this accualy seems to be a good pick for a 17mach2 ruger 10/17 project im planing i may also give it a try!

anyone have a size for butlers or even bikini cover for this scope?

Was just curious as I'm on the fence between this and a Leatherwood CMR any thoughts? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the knurled cap end on the illumination knob a parallax adjustment?
</div></div>

Nope - it's the cap for the battery compartment </div></div>

DUHH - should have thought of that ! Thanks

I heard the leatherwood was pretty good too... zero stop - i wanted the 5x instead of 4x. I read that the leatherwood is more like 1.1x too. As far as the reticle goes... the leatherwood has that donut which is nice. I really like my falcon minus the scope flip-ups... need butlers or something. Too bad someone doesn't have both
smile.gif

I orignally was thinking that the adj eye piece was a focus ring but I dont see any changes in focus when adjusting. Anyone else try?
-T

i haven't looked at the ring either - i wouldn't think it would have a lock ring (maybe that's the ring you were thinking about?), like on leupold's and nightforces, that you "unlock" and then can turn the eyepiece to adjust the focus for your specific eyes. Then turn the locking ring down to the eyepiece when your done to lock the focus into place. Hmmm... i'll have to take a look at that when i get home.

I just adjusted my leupold and my nightforce last night.

it actually is a focus ring - it's a fine focus but that's what it is - just did mine. Turn the ring about 5 - 10 turns or more out. Set your zoom at max, then either look at a plain white wall or drape a white cloth over the front. Then look in and turn it back in until the <span style="text-decoration: underline">reticle</span> is crisp. Also, don't stare into it long.
Take your head off and look at something else, and then get back to it. Otherwise your eyes will try and compensate. This method works with any scope... if you have one with a side parallax adj. you have to turn that to the max (or infinity symbol) before you start focusing the eyepiece.

I went ahead and ordered one for my FAL. I take it from this discussion that Falcon has not improved the quality of their owner's manuals in the past few years.

wink.gif

how is your scope holding zero saw a other post someone haveing problems and im getting reddy to order one when there back in stock so i was interested in your results

Yeah just posted in the other thread, may or may not have the same problem, I am going to the range tomorrow so I will post more then.

Yeah - it's been lousy weather out, so i'm probably going back to the range with it this next weekend. I shot probably 2 magazines worth zeroing it at 50yds. last 20 shots were in the bulls...

So i'll have to screw around with the turrets and the put them back and see if the zero is still on. I haven't done that to much extent. When i did it a little at the range... about 10 clicks in either direction - it went back to zero - so the clicks were true on the elevation.

Mine's on a sig556 with tps steel rings - so i doubt there will be any play with my setup... and the recoil won't be factor. On a side note - my buddy's new bolt rifle (he was on a budget and got a savage edge) and the scope that came with it, after 20 rnds, went blurry
smile.gif
He's got a busnell banner on it now.

I'll let you guys know in a week. Still looking for Butler Creeks for this. Guess i'm going to have to actually measure an look up since no one knows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for Butler Creeks for this. Guess i'm going to have to actually measure an look up since no one knows. </div></div>

+1 on the BC's. One or the other of us will have to do it, I guess.

Mine's holding zero OK so far. I've got about 100 rounds through it now. Walked it around the target some and clicks seemed solid and reliable and returned to zero at 100yds OK. Carbine's shooting about 1.5 inches with it and that's about all I ever get with XM193. Haven't had time to really concentrate and shoot a box test with it. It'll be a couple more weeks before I can get back out to the range and do that.

Butler Creek size 04 (blizzard for the front) and 20 for the eye. I'm assuming the regular butler flip-up for the front is the same number - at least that's what the dude at the store said. I like the clear one in the front.

actual measurements on butler box: 1.5 - 1.59" front and 1.775" for the eye.

Any updates on how the Falcons are doing? I've got one on my list of possibles along with a few others. Would be interested if anyone has verified the zero's holding and repeatability.

Hawk

I recently picked one up for my DSA SA58 FAL. I just got the mount so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it looks promising.

mod_fal-2.jpg

mod_fal-1.jpg

Two weeks ago I finally got my AR15. Now I'm looking for a scope.

The Falcon 1,5 - 5 x 30 fits the bill perfectly, if it performs adequately.

So, what are your thoughts and experiences after a jear?

Still good, broken, sent back, got rid of, traded off, shooting straight and true??

Or should I get a surplus Hensoldt Fero Z24 4 x 24 ?