• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My new M40 replica.

nomore606

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
Florida
This was built by TBA while I was deployed. It took ten months but the wait is worth the reward. I'll post the range results when I go next week.

1316281318466.jpg
1316281328219.jpg

1316281344375.jpg

1316281353532.jpg
1316281406915.jpg

Re: My new M40 replica.

nice rifle. mike builds a very accurate bolt gun. how long was the wait if you don't mind me asking?

It is nice to start a build before deployment so when you are gone it is getting done. I have done that on my last three deployments and it makes the time seem to go by so much quicker. Looks nice.

Beautitiful rifle!
Judging from the turret caps, the scope wasn't originaly green anodized. Was it painted? If so, what did you use and how?

the scope was duracoated by mike at TBA. The scope is a late 60's Gen 2 that I found locally.

Thats looks very nice! I bet it shoots too! Be sure and let us know.

And would it be possible to get a close-up of the foreend tip?

I have a 700 Varmint stock from Numrich that I have to round off the front. A close up of the front profile would be very helpful.

slick I'll be sure to do that in the morning. It is not an original just made to appear as an original.

Mike did one heck of a job!
Im also interested in pictures of the stock and the scope too if you can make some.
Do you know exactly what collor he used for the duracoat on the scope? It looks very well done.

Im looking forward to the range report.

I honestly don't know what color blend he used. I took some pictures of the stock just a few minutes ago and I'll post them up tomorrow.

Here is a few photos of the front of the stock. If you want some other specific photos for your future build, 30cal fun, let me know.

Thanks for the pictures! Those where exactly the ones I needed.
The stock I have is from numrich too (part # 553690), some other hide members have used that same stock in some of their M40 builds.
It seems that my fore end needs a lot of rounding.

That's what I figured when you said you needed pictures of the stock. Post pictures on here when you get close to completing it I would love to see it.

VERY nice job on the rifle! And yes; the Numrich stocks do take a lot of sanding on the front end. I like how yours came out. I think I may have to do some more to my own before it's done.

What did he do for receiver, scope base and barrel markings?

Perhaps you should cross-post this to the "M40 build Guide" thread, too?

Beautiful stock on that rifle.

the scope base is a Redfield JR. the receiver is a brand new (not a correct 6 digit) one that the shroud was cut back to appear. It has the upside down heart, and the T on the side, but does not has 762 NATO on the side but Mike said the first ones didn't have the 7.62 stamp. Now I'm not sure if he is correct or not but he has been building these replica rifles for years and I would consider him the subject matter expert in my opinion.

As best as I have been able to find, he's correct- the early barrels have the various stamps on the right (REP in an oval, upside down heart) and the other side has a date code and inspector's number stamped in it, OR it only has the "7.62 NATO" stamped on the left side (the side by the serial number on the receiver) on the replacement barrels. I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of them, anyway.

looks awesome! let us know how it shoots!

Here is a pic of the left side with date codes.

IMG_0949-1.jpg

And right side with proofs

IMG_0951.jpg

evolution has taken sniper rifles a long way from then to now.

well I put some serious rounds through it yesterday. I used remington 180GR SP. It kept an 1 MOA to 1 1/4 MOA at 100 yards with that. When I switched over to the blackhills 175GR BTHP thats when the accuracy shined it was keeping 3/4 MOA. When I take it out again I'll be sure to take some photos of the targets and try to stretch it out beyond 100.

While I was cleaning the rifle today I found out that it is a Redfield 40x mount used. Originally Mike was going to go with a reproduction but found the Redfield 40x to use instead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomore606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I put some serious rounds through it yesterday. I used remington 180GR SP. It kept an 1 MOA to 1 1/4 MOA at 100 yards with that. When I switched over to the blackhills 175GR BTHP thats when the accuracy shined it was keeping 3/4 MOA. When I take it out again I'll be sure to take some photos of the targets and try to stretch it out beyond 100. </div></div>

What barrel twist rate is it? I wonder how it would do with some 168SMK handloads?

Military classics are definitely worth the wait.

Beautiful rifle.
The M40, barrel 1:10, preforms best with 168Gr according to the experts.

Beyond 100 yards the fun starts then the hold over comes in.
In the beginning it looks difficult, but with a bit of practice you will do good.
That is the way they shot in Vietnam as well, no scope adjustments.

After some practice I was able to hit a target at 440 yards.
I used Federal gold 168Gr ammo and a huge hold over.
Shot on a steel target plate and it was so rewarding to hear the "ping" afterwards.

With the hold over it helps if you have a spotter or a good background in which you can see the impact.

Let us know how you did on distances

With all the fiberglass and stainless today, that is rifle is a beautiful contrast. Makes me want to learn more about the originals.

REALLY nice rifle.

The period correct M40 clone is a beautiful piece of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The development of the flamethrower proves that at one time, someone, somewhere thought to themself: There are people over there that I want to set on fire, but they are to far away. (unknown author)
</div></div>

I love the signature line!

This rifle is too new for the cmp vintage sniper matches but are there any matches I could try to attend with this preferably in south florida?