• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My new (patented) barrel vise

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
For those stubborn 700's, this works every time. Also it simultaneously installs short random flutes.
For orders on this must have gunsmithing tool, please contact me direct.
Thanks
Jim

newbarrelvice.jpg

Re: My new (patented) barrel vise

Ha! I might have taken you up on a purchase last weekend, the wood blocks I had were not cutting it at first.
smile.gif

Onyx

The resale of these used barrels must skyrocket since you used this one of a kind vise...

I see this and think of a Mortal Combat Movie.

newbarrelvice.jpg

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-family: 'Impact'"><span style="font-weight: bold">FINISH HIM!!!!!</span></span></span></span>

mel has a press with lead faces. it must be 50 years old.....still going. way more simple than all the fancy crap we use now.

I agree these are fantastic tools. I prefer the one with the chain to hold the barrel. It is portable on a tripod and you can take it to the range and use it in place of a rest. With the chain model the view is clear.

Ridgid Tool makes these you can find them used at rummage sales, pwan shop and used tool stores cheap.

Gotta love it!

Thats why they call them gun plumbers

LOL

That reminds me of my first removal of barrel from receiver.

I had bought a barreled Mauser (small ring) action which was in 30-06. My plans were to chamber it in a .257 Roberts so the barrel had to come off.

Drilled a hole in a block of hardwood, split it on the table saw, put the receiver in it and put the whole mess in a vise. Once nice and tight I took a pipe wrench to the barrel and removed it that way. It too installed short random fluting. The wooden blocks held up but barely. They went into the trash after the job was completed.

That was way back in the early 90's. I've come a looong way since then and now have the proper tools to do it correctly.

BTW, I never did get that Roberts built. Ended up selling the action to guy who was informed as to the method of disassembly. He didn't seem to mind but I never heard what became of that action. Can’t remember what happened to the barrel but I believe it went into the junk pile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The resale of these used barrels must skyrocket since you used this one of a kind vise... </div></div>
laugh.gif