• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My New Savage today - BIG Dissappointment!!

MyM40A2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2011
Pasadena CA
www.csvca.com
ok so here is the story,

I went in to my local gun shop today to start the paperwork on a New Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Brush. It came in yesterday so I wanted to take a look at it and get the paperwork done to start my waiting period. But after looking at the gun I noticed a few things....

First - the scope was mounted and bore sighted, but it was on cockeyed. The vertical line on the duplex was off center. (ok not that big of a deal. Loosen some screw, straighten the scope, and so on)

Second - the trigger was set to 1.25lbs. Now this is an Accutrigger and I know its adjustable. But come on, on a Hunting rifle you (Savage) as a company are going to send out a hunting rifle with a 1.25lb trigger. Are you crazy? I usually like a 2.5-3lb trigger on my hunting rifles. A little light for a hunter for some peoples tastes but I am used to it and feel safe with it. But as a major rifle manufacturer is it really a good idea to send out your hunting (specific) rifles with that light of a trigger?

Third - The Accutrigger would get hung up. I cycled the bolt to test the trigger the first time and that was how I found out that the trigger pull was so lite. That was when I had the shop owner grab a scale to test it. So we tested it three times and took an average. 1.25lbs, WOW But back to the accutrigger problem. I cylced the bolt a second time, no problem, then a third time and it locked up. It felt like the accutrigger was hitting the metal portion of the trgger itself and locking itself out from being able to travel between the opening in the center of the trigger. So I checked closely to see if that was what was happening. Nope. No such luck. the accutrigger just wouldn't budge. I removed the bolt and tried it again. Worked fine. So I cycled the bolt and checked again. Out of ten attepts it happened another 4 times. No idea what was going on there. Nor did the gunsmith/store owner.

ok, at this point I'm thinking three strikes and you are out. but it gets worse. Now if this was the Axis line then maybe I can over look a couple of these faults. But this is nowhere near the bottom of the Savage line in quality or price!

Fouth - the camo dip on it was bad. There were white spots where the camo did not get down into the checkering on the stock. And other parts where it just looked like the camo job was done very hastily without taking the time to make sure that it was done properly. There were about 8 or so spots where the camo did not adhere to the stock. Ok so maybe I'm being picky. But when I'm paying that much for a rifle I do not want one that looks like it was made by a inexperienced or careless factory worker.

Fifth - the recoil pad was installed incorrectly. Now I have seen a number of botched recoil pad installs. Hell I have even received a horrible recoil pad install myself. So maybe I'm a little sensitive about the issue because of my past experiences in this department. But this one was installed about 1/4 inch too low. It has a 1/4 inch gap at the top and it stuck out by 1/4 inch at the bottom. How does shite like this leave the factory and not get picked up by quality control? I just don't understand it!

6th - The Savage Arms website lists this rifle as coming with a detachable box magazine. The one I received today had a blind magazine. Meaning no detachable magazine. No BDL style opening bottom metal either. It was a fixed ADL style set up. This is NOT what I ordered. I used the exact SKU from the Savage website and gave that to my gun shop to use for the order. The SKU on the box of the rifle that showed today matched the SKU from the website. The one that showed up today was the correct SKU. But did not have the detachable magazine! WTF?

I fell in love with this rifle after much deliberation and after a couple long threads on another site discussing the choice of this rifle over a Remington 700 and a Howa. Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong discussion.

I have heard of people getting Savages that were extremely accurate, and some that were not so accurate. But I have not heard stories of people getting a very poorly rifle. But I also never researched the subject. I never thought Savage would allow such a poorly made rifle to pass quality control at the factory. Maybe they just don't have a quality control department. If they do you couldn't prove it by what I saw today.

I had the owner send the rifle back and have a new one sent out. But I have lost a good deal of confidence in Savage as a company. What do you all think I should do? What would you do? Should I be worried? Should I even consider staying with Savage for this new rifle?

Re: My New Savage today - BIG Dissappointment!!

OK, #1) Scope. No big deal.

2)It's adjustable. So ADJUST IT!

3)I am not familiar with accu-triggers but sounds like sear adj screw is out too far. Or adjust the trigger to see if it helps. (That is what I would have done)

4)The dip. If you are familiar with dipping it is not perfect. I worked for an archery co. and they aren't perfect. Even when you pay $900+ for a bow there will be some spots. If it is in the checkered area, it is where you grip it anyway and will wear from use.
Is it a safe queen or are you going to use the gun?

5)The recoil pad is bad and nothing you can do about it. I bet if you called savage and told them they would have sent you a new one for free.

If it were me I would have adjusted the trigger first to see if it cured the problem. Then called about the recoil pad. The big R isn't easy to deal with but Savage seems committed to it's customers.

I am a savage guy but I hate the accutrigger with a pashion. The reason they ship hunting rifles with such a light trigger is because it acts like a glock trigger and the center section of the trigger needs depressed before the trigger will function. What you were talking about with the hang up is a problem I hate about the accutrigger. The only solution with that problem that I have found is being rough when you rack the action. Or replace it with a Sav-1 from Rifle basix.

If I was you I'd call savage and complain about the recoil pad and fact you don't have DBM because that part of this post is messed up. On the trigger every guy I help with a savage the first thing we do is replace the trigger with a RB. You can set that trigger at any weight and travel you'd like. Looks like the Lemon law applies to you but I think a phone call or email to savage will correct the issue.

Good luck,
Merritt

The way the accutrigger works is if you pull the trigger without the center 'safety shoe' pushed in, it will lock up as a 'safety' feature. You need to recock the hammer for it to reset. I'm not an accu-trigger fan myself but once you understand how it functions you learn to accept its peculiarities.

you know what sucks? That damn website does state it comes with the DBM on that model. You can see it doesn't in the picture. Also, were you dead set on the camo pattern? I shoot with a dude who uses a 10 Precision Carbine and that thing is a drill! It is also lighter than those Hunter models by almost 1.5lbs and it should be cheaper (by Savage's MSRP).

I have personally handled eight Savage's, I own two, and I have never heard of any issues such as you listed in your OP. It really sucks to read that. I'm sure they'd make it right with you, but it sounds like it didn't even get that far. As a Savage advocate, I'll ask you to give em' a chance. Once you shoot an actual-working accutrigger, you'll enjoy it. The accuracy should speak for itself... good luck, let us know how it goes.

Hey I got tell you I would be upset too! You get excited about getting a new gun and it is a disappointment! Not the cost of a custom rifle, but to the average hard working guy hard earned bucks!
I would call Savage and tell them about your experience and see if they want to make it right? Then think about if you want to own one of there rifles?
I have a Savage 93 a 17 HMR and it has been flawless! Even the best blow it once in a while? It is not if you drop the ball it's what you do when you pick it back up?
Good luck do what is right for you!!

Bought a 10FP 308 and it was a cheap made POS that shot poorly and the worst part was I took a beating when I got rid of it. My first last Savage, EVER............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gopherslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, #1) Scope. No big deal.

2)It's adjustable. So ADJUST IT!

3)I am not familiar with accu-triggers but sounds like sear adj screw is out too far. Or adjust the trigger to see if it helps. (That is what I would have done)

4)The dip. If you are familiar with dipping it is not perfect. I worked for an archery co. and they aren't perfect. Even when you pay $900+ for a bow there will be some spots. If it is in the checkered area, it is where you grip it anyway and will wear from use.
Is it a safe queen or are you going to use the gun?

5)The recoil pad is bad and nothing you can do about it. I bet if you called savage and told them they would have sent you a new one for free.

If it were me I would have adjusted the trigger first to see if it cured the problem. Then called about the recoil pad. The big R isn't easy to deal with but Savage seems committed to it's customers. </div></div>

I do agree with a lot of what you said. But.....why should I have to fix the scope, adjust the trigger, call and have them ship a recoil pad, pay to have it installed, wait to use the rifle, miss the hunting trip I had planned for this rifle? All because Savage had zero quality control that day? I thought that was what I was paying them $900 to do. Now if this was a used rifle then I might expect problems like this. But this rifle ain't used. And it Ain't cheap.

Then what happens if after the trigger is adjusted it still catches and is unusable 40% of the time I cycle a round? How well will that work for hunting? Then after everything else I had to fix on this rifle I now have to get the trigger replaced. All the while the rifle that I am supposed to be hunting with is in the shop getting worked on.

Yes it will be a hunting rifle and yes the camo will wear over time. I'm not looking for perfection in the finish. But I am looking for a satisfactory dip for the money I paid.

now if I was paying $350 for an Axis model then no big deal. But for almost $900 msrp I Do Expect more from a rifle and even more from a major Manufacturer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey I got tell you I would be upset too! You get excited about getting a new gun and it is a disappointment! Not the cost of a custom rifle, but to the average hard working guy hard earned bucks!
I would call Savage and tell them about your experience and see if they want to make it right? Then think about if you want to own one of there rifles?
I have a Savage 93 a 17 HMR and it has been flawless! Even the best blow it once in a while? It is not if you drop the ball it's what you do when you pick it back up?
Good luck do what is right for you!! </div></div>

I am calling Savage tomorrow morning. I tried today but they were already closed by the time I found the problems with this rifle. So we shall see how Savage handles it. To be honest I don't expect them to say anything other then send it back and get a new one. I would be very surprised if they even acknowledge this a problem. What I expect the rep to say is No worries, we have thousands of em in stock. Lets just send you a new one out right away and see if this one is better then the last one.

I'll let you all know the outcome of Savages customer service conversation tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you know what sucks? That damn website does state it comes with the DBM on that model. You can see it doesn't in the picture. Also, were you dead set on the camo pattern? I shoot with a dude who uses a 10 Precision Carbine and that thing is a drill! It is also lighter than those Hunter models by almost 1.5lbs and it should be cheaper (by Savage's MSRP).

I have personally handled eight Savage's, I own two, and I have never heard of any issues such as you listed in your OP. It really sucks to read that. I'm sure they'd make it right with you, but it sounds like it didn't even get that far. As a Savage advocate, I'll ask you to give em' a chance. Once you shoot an actual-working accutrigger, you'll enjoy it. The accuracy should speak for itself... good luck, let us know how it goes. </div></div>

I will give Savage one chance to make things right. But as you can read from my post above this one. I'm not expecting much. Who knows, maybe the customer rep will do something unexpected and make a Savage customer for life. Then this post would turn around and become a Savage billboard instead of a red flag for the company.

I have had a problem with some other company before and with what they did to make things right they absolutely made a lifetime customer out of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way the accutrigger works is if you pull the trigger without the center 'safety shoe' pushed in, it will lock up as a 'safety' feature. You need to recock the hammer for it to reset. I'm not an accu-trigger fan myself but once you understand how it functions you learn to accept its peculiarities. </div></div>

I understand how the accutrigger works. As does the gunsmith who also verified that it was malfunctioning. Thank you for the tip. But it was a problem with the trigger. Not a problem with me not using it correctly.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XP%20PREDATOR%20BRUSH

Here is the link that I used to order the rifle. I took the SKU from the Savage website from this exact page and gave that to the gun shop who then ordered the rifle.

If the description on the MANUFACTURERS website stated that it comes with a specific feature then it should come with that specific feature. Maybe its just me, but that is what I would expect. And that is what was paid for.

The sad thing is I had high hopes for this rifle being a Savage. I have been a Remington guy for over 20 years. This was going to be my first bolt action purchase that was NOT a Remington. With all the hype about the accuracy with the Savage rifles I was really looking forward to getting a good rifle from them and maybe, just maybe, start buying another brand besides Remington. And this is the experience I have. Not a good way to get someone to buy your brand!

Scope is probably a cheap simmons or bushnell. Was it level or the hairs canted? Your cost to fix is $0 if the scope isn't level.

If the trigger didn't adjust then send it back. My guess is the trigger is adjusted too light. I think my 22lr adjustment instructions talk about this if it is too light.

Recoil pad replacement is $0. 2 screws and done. You can do it yourself.

If you had to send it back it would probably take just as long to get repaired as it will to have it replaced by the wholesaler. By sending the rifle back to the wholesaler are you still going to miss out on your trip?

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I would be a little miffed but not the end of the world. If you are handy you could more than likely fix it yourself.

I hope you get the resolution you are looking for and that you don't miss out on your hunting trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way the accutrigger works is if you pull the trigger without the center 'safety shoe' pushed in, it will lock up as a 'safety' feature. You need to recock the hammer for it to reset. I'm not an accu-trigger fan myself but once you understand how it functions you learn to accept its peculiarities. </div></div>

Thanks for that information. I never knew that about the Accutriggers. All four of my Savages don't have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gopherslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope is probably a cheap simmons or bushnell. Was it level or the hairs canted? Your cost to fix is $0 if the scope isn't level.

If the trigger didn't adjust then send it back. My guess is the trigger is adjusted too light. I think my 22lr adjustment instructions talk about this if it is too light.

Recoil pad replacement is $0. 2 screws and done. You can do it yourself.

If you had to send it back it would probably take just as long to get repaired as it will to have it replaced by the wholesaler. By sending the rifle back to the wholesaler are you still going to miss out on your trip?

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I would be a little miffed but not the end of the world. If you are handy you could more than likely fix it yourself.

I hope you get the resolution you are looking for and that you don't miss out on your hunting trip. </div></div>

Thank you, unfortunately this will hinder the trip. It looks like I am going back to my Trusted Remington for this one.

Now....could I have fixed everything that was wrong with this rifle myself. Probably. Other then the messed up camo. Could it have been done in time for the trip? Nope. But Should I have to fix a brand new rifle? That is the question. Do I expect more for $900? You better believe it.

The only reason right now that I haven't totally given up on Savage is because I once owned an old wood stock 30-06 Savage (no idea what model) about 20 years ago that shot like a house a fire. I still regret selling that one to this day. It looke like hell, was beaten to death, chipped, dented, scratched and so on. But that sucker could shoot!

Sure I could have chosen an uncamoed version that was cheaper and without the accutrigger. But I didn't. I chose that specific rifle for those exact features because for what I plan to use it for it would make for the perfect rifle. So when I pay more for a specific feature, I expect it to actually be included with the rifle and actually work. Imagine that!

We shall see what Savage does to make things right. If they do anything other then send out a new one and hope that this one works and has all the features I paid for.

The fit and finish sounds bad - don't accept it.

Your trigger is adjusted too light for your sear/trigger engagement. As mentioned, if the trigger is pulled or bumped WITHOUT having fully depressed the "accu-release", the sear falls, but hangs up on the accurelease itself, locking it up. Whats happening to you is you're closing the bolt hard enough to knock the sear off the trigger. You'll find that if you close the bolt gently, this won't happen. Or, you can turn up the trigger weight, which will increase the tension of the sear/trigger joint. You will then be able to slap the bolt down hard without tripping the sar and locking up the accurelease.

Sidenote: the Savage target actions are engraved with a warning to gently close the bolt just for this reason.

Good luck. Savage is a stand up company and will make this right. Be polite - even though you are worked up over the problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fit and finish sounds bad - don't accept it.

Your trigger is adjusted too light for your sear/trigger engagement. As mentioned, if the trigger is pulled or bumped WITHOUT having fully depressed the "accu-release", the sear falls, but hangs up on the accurelease itself, locking it up. Whats happening to you is you're closing the bolt hard enough to knock the sear off the trigger. You'll find that if you close the bolt gently, this won't happen. Or, you can turn up the trigger weight, which will increase the tension of the sear/trigger joint. You will then be able to slap the bolt down hard without tripping the sar and locking up the accurelease.

Sidenote: the Savage target actions are engraved with a warning to gently close the bolt just for this reason.

Good luck. Savage is a stand up company and will make this right. Be polite - even though you are worked up over the problems. </div></div>

Thanks for the info Turbo54. But.... I was closing it slowly and gently. Every time.

I really hope they fix the problem. My main worry is that it did not come with the main feature that I bought it for in the first place which is the detachable magazine! As long as they fix that issue I will be happy. The rest can be worked on. It sucks that it comes unusable from the factory. But if they fix the magazine issue then think I can get past the rest.

Im sorry you are having bad luck with the Savage..
I have a 10FP HS, which I bought about 5 years ago, and it shoots and functions lights out. I just recently bought a Rem700 .308AAC. Bought it just to do the comparison in my own mind. After 3 times the money invested, the Rem. shoots about like the Savage now. I suppose a "lemon" can occur with any factory rifle. After having both I still have a hard time deciding which I like over the other....

If you adjust the trigger to around 2 pounds or more that lock-up will go away and you can bang your bolt knob as hard as you want.

Sorry to hear that you had problems right off the bat. Savage should take care of it. Let the customer service rep know all the problems you are having. They will try to repair it and if that doesn't work, they will replace it.

Unfortunately I had a problem Savage as well, but not as bad as yours. I ordered a Savage 10FCP McMillan and it came with a HS Precision stock. They verified the serial was supposed to come with a McMillan, so they took it back and replaced it. Well it was shooting 0.5 MOA until all of a sudden the groups shot high and stopped grouping. The Savage gunsmith who replaced the stock did not torque the action screws properly. I was slightly disappointed with Savage's quality control and gunsmith competence for a $1,000+ rifle. However, torquing screws is a simple fix and I am happy with the rifle.

You should also let them know to fix their website description for that model. Some vendors have the internal magazine description and some have the detachable magazine description.

Thank you all for the help. I will talk to them tomorrow and let them know about the discrepancy. Hopefully they will honor the description on the website

the fit and finish was off, don't accept it... because of the recoil pad.... the camo dip, I'm gonna reserve opinion, I didn't see it, it may have been crap, but I've seen a lot of guys that just aren't EVER satisfied w/ a dip.

the scope, it may have been savage, it may have been someone down the road dicking w/ it.

the trigger adjustmebt was just set too light, it shouldn't have gone out that light, but it takes 5 minutes to adjust and Savage supplies to tool. again, may have been someone outside savage putting their dick beaters all over it.

the DBM, that was NOT Savage's fault, the DBM addition on that model is recent, the reason you got a blind mag model was that your dealer didn't make sure he was getting new stock from his dostributor, completely your dealer/distributor's fault.

I won't fault you if you go back to Remington, you've obviously had good luck with them, I'm personally the opposite, if I'm gonna get a POS, it'll be a Remington, every company has issues, sometimes we just have to go with the one that we've been lucky with.

One more thing about the Accutrigger. The way the adjustment works is you loosen the spring tension, which reduces the pull weight. As you loosen the spring tension, the spring threads through a hole. The taper of the spring prevents it from adjusting below 1.5 lbs. You have to really use some force to force the taper through that hole to get under 1.5 lbs, which is something I did not try. I doubt Savage did this for you. It might be possible your dealer measured the weight incorrectly?

CompositeAccutrigger.jpg

I guess everyone has their own things that really prick their nerves. Let me tell though. One bad experience shouldn't give an overall outlook on an entire company. Have you ever messed anything up without realizing it??
1) The scope thing that really boils you??? REALLY? you should have it adjusted to YOU anyway, even if it was straight. Eye relief and good sight picture is different for every person.
2) The trigger is way to light, I agree, sounds like something needed to be worked on.
3)Camo dip is a crappy process in "average" factory ANYTHING. I am in total agreement with the previous statements about it not being the preferred process for the discerning consumer.
4) If I ordered a box mag and it didn't have one, I would send it back without bitching about every little thing.
Finally if I gave up on a company based on a single product then I wouldn't own much of anything.
My most accurate hunting rifle is a savage and it ain't pretty nor perfect but it shoots almost 1/4 moa with hand rolled. But then again I have plenty of remmy's too. i hate them all evenly and love them all evenly too.
I am sorry you got a lemon and you are dissappointed but don't act like everything should be perfect and it's the highest end rifle you could buy. Cuz it isn't, which it why I love em.
If the order was messed up, I would send it back, if the trigger was bad, I would send it back. If I was to nit pick every detail I would be disappointed with every rifle that I didn't have built by my smith for me to fit me to my tastes.

I also purchased a 10FP in .308 and was a little disappointed in it, entirely because of the stock. The factory stock on that particular model was VERY basic. Since, I have replaced the stock with a McRee Precision and am very pleased. The guts of the Savage are good quality.

2011-09-02_02-32-37_740.jpg

2011-09-02_02-33-36_136.jpg

Factory Savage synthetic stocks blow...including the Accustock, in my opinion. They're derisively called "tupperware" for a reason...

If I had that many issues with a factory new rifle as soon as I removed it from the box, I'd never have accepted it - I'd have called Savage standing in the gun shop and had the shop return it for exchange the same day.

I've got two Accutrigger Savages, and I like them a lot. I realize its not everyone's cup of tea, but I've never had any issues with them and I'm not arguing with half-inch five shot groups @ 100yd from a factory barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I expect the rep to say is No worries, we have thousands of em in stock. Lets just send you a new one out right away and see if this one is better then the last one. </div></div>

Would you find this CS response satisfactory or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fit and finish sounds bad - don't accept it.

Good luck. Savage is a stand up company and will make this right. Be polite - even though you are worked up over the problems. </div></div>

Thanks for the info Turbo54. But.... I was closing it slowly and gently. Every time. </div></div>

I stand by my previous statement that your trigger spring is set too light for the geometry of your individual trigger/sear engagement. If you turn up the weight of the trigger, this problem will go away. Or, someone competent can stone the engagement surfaces to get proper engagement that will allow the sear to properly catch in the trigger notch at the current trigger weight.

For what its worth, my 10FP will catch properly (with a gentle bolt close) as low as 8oz trigger pull weight. It will catch properly with a "slap the bolt closed" technique at 2lb. Also, most Savage owners find they have to revisit the adjustment every so often. With my rifle, it's every 500 rounds or so. The pull weight will slowly go down and down, until you've gotta turn the trigger up again. I like to keep mine at about 1.5lb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XP%20PREDATOR%20BRUSH

Here is the link that I used to order the rifle. I took the SKU from the Savage website from this exact page and gave that to the gun shop who then ordered the rifle.

If the description on the MANUFACTURERS website stated that it comes with a specific feature then it should come with that specific feature. Maybe its just me, but that is what I would expect. And that is what was paid for.

The sad thing is I had high hopes for this rifle being a Savage. I have been a Remington guy for over 20 years. This was going to be my first bolt action purchase that was NOT a Remington. With all the hype about the accuracy with the Savage rifles I was really looking forward to getting a good rifle from them and maybe, just maybe, start buying another brand besides Remington. And this is the experience I have. Not a good way to get someone to buy your brand! </div></div>

Did I miss something? The link you posted shows the guns with "internal mags" not DBM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XP%20PREDATOR%20BRUSH

The sad thing is I had high hopes for this rifle being a Savage. I have been a Remington guy for over 20 years. This was going to be my first bolt action purchase that was NOT a Remington. With all the hype about the accuracy with the Savage rifles I was really looking forward to getting a good rifle from them and maybe, just maybe, start buying another brand besides Remington. And this is the experience I have. Not a good way to get someone to buy your brand! </div></div>

Did I miss something? The link you posted shows the guns with "internal mags" not DBM.</div></div>

you're right... the XPs... package guns are still listed as "internal box".... it's only the rifles w/o scopes that are DBM...

sounds like the OP doesn't even know what he ordered

I unno, ive had my savage 10 pc carbine in 308 and its amazing, I can slam the bolt up and down load it as hard as I want and I have not had the accutrigger lock on me once. I also adjusted my accutrigger down to the lightest possible... i think 8oz? at 100 yards im hitting the center of golfballs no problem.. It took a bit to get it dialed in, and that is because of the special sequence you have to tighten down the action screws and to a specific torque so that the barrel harmonizes with the accustock.

I saw that too. That said, the gun should be return to savage and you should get one that has the fit and finish that should be expected. You could ask for an upgraded scope for your troubles.;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XP%20PREDATOR%20BRUSH

Did I miss something? The link you posted shows the guns with "internal mags" not DBM.</div></div>

you're right... the XPs... package guns are still listed as "internal box".... it's only the rifles w/o scopes that are DBM...

sounds like the OP doesn't even know what he ordered</div></div>

I've been reading this thread but haven't commented on it yet; however, when the OP first posted the link to the rifle he ordered I believe it did in fact state that it had a detachable box.

But now looking at it just now the site does state internal box. Savage must have changed the website anywhere from 11ish last night to half an hour ago at the latest.

Now I may have just been seeing things on the website but I'm 99% sure that it said detachable box last night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been reading this thread but haven't commented on it yet; however, when the OP first posted the link to the rifle he ordered I believe it did in fact state that it had a detachable box.

But now looking at it just now the site does state internal box. Savage must have changed the website anywhere from 11ish last night to half an hour ago at the latest.

Now I may have just been seeing things on the website but I'm 99% sure that it said detachable box last night.</div></div>

You're not seeing things. When I posted last night, it still said detachable box magazine. It was definitely changed to internal within the last 12 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpr564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you adjust the trigger to around 2 pounds or more that lock-up will go away and you can bang your bolt knob as hard as you want. </div></div>

This is exactly what I did with my 10PC. 2 lbs is way better for a field gun than whatever it was set at from the factory anyway. Once I did it I realized how much I love this rifle.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing about the Accutrigger. The way the adjustment works is you loosen the spring tension, which reduces the pull weight. As you loosen the spring tension, the spring threads through a hole. The taper of the spring prevents it from adjusting below 1.5 lbs. You have to really use some force to force the taper through that hole to get under 1.5 lbs, which is something I did not try. I doubt Savage did this for you. It might be possible your dealer measured the weight incorrectly?

CompositeAccutrigger.jpg
</div></div>

Thank you for the schematics on the trigger. No one messed with this rifle between it leaving Savage and getting to my dealer. When I talked to Mr Savage he even said that it shouldn't have left the factory like that.

No the dealer did not measure it incorrectly. It is the same digital scale he uses to adjust every trigger that he works on. We took 5 reading to get an average. So it wasn't some one time fluke that it broke at 1.25. It was an average of the 5 tests.

For Now I am waiting to hear back from Mr Savage. I have a feeling that this will be resolved in a Satisfactory manner. And I really hope that it is.

I do look forward to using that damn rifle once I finally get this all sorted out. But lord please let it be a shooter. I would hate to get this all sorted out, have both Savage and myself be satisfied with the outcome. Then find out down the road that it wont shoot worth a damn.
crazy.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this all works it self out. But we shall see.

To be continue....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing about the Accutrigger. The way the adjustment works is you loosen the spring tension, which reduces the pull weight. As you loosen the spring tension, the spring threads through a hole. The taper of the spring prevents it from adjusting below 1.5 lbs. You have to really use some force to force the taper through that hole to get under 1.5 lbs, which is something I did not try. I doubt Savage did this for you. It might be possible your dealer measured the weight incorrectly?

CompositeAccutrigger.jpg
</div></div>

Thank you for the schematics on the trigger. No one messed with this rifle between it leaving Savage and getting to my dealer. When I talked to Mr Savage he even said that it shouldn't have left the factory like that.

No the dealer did not measure it incorrectly. It is the same digital scale he uses to adjust every trigger that he works on. We took 5 reading to get an average. So it wasn't some one time fluke that it broke at 1.25. It was an average of the 5 tests.

For Now I am waiting to hear back from Mr Savage. I have a feeling that this will be resolved in a Satisfactory manner. And I really hope that it is.

I do look forward to using that damn rifle once I finally get this all sorted out. But lord please let it be a shooter. I would hate to get this all sorted out, have both Savage and myself be satisfied with the outcome. Then find out down the road that it wont shoot worth a damn.
crazy.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this all works it self out. But we shall see.

To be continue.... </div></div>

When it is resolved to your satisfaction, will you remove all the mess you have created on the hide? How hard would it have been to just call savage and get it resolved before throwing it out like a child on the net? I do not work for savage but happen to like their stuff and it works well. Unfortunately you got a lemon (all manufacturers have lemons) and it is the sttitude in which you act to negative situations that determine you personality. WE have all been hung out buy some manufacturer of something at some time. Most of us do not go on the web and start bashing a company before they had a chance to fix it. That is at least what is owed to them, then if they do nothing you would be vindcated in the bashing. I agree that there are problems with the gun that you received. I work in the firearms industry and I see all kinds of this stuff going on, so it is not just Savage. In the end you will be happy with their product. Please feel free to pm or email me if you feel this is out of line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpr564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you adjust the trigger to around 2 pounds or more that lock-up will go away and you can bang your bolt knob as hard as you want. </div></div>

+1 on this my 10FP came from the factory set to right around 1.5 ish and had the same issue almost every time you chambered it. I set the trigger a bit heavier and haven't had a issue since but I was very upset it came this way just as OP is. So a simple 2 min fix and my rifle was back to top notch shooting. Good luck and I am sure they will take care of you as they have always taken care of me when I call with questions or concerns.

Despite Azprc's complaint, I'm glad you did post your experience with Savage. I have been considering buying a LRH for sometime but can't get over my Remington fixation. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to buy a Savage is that you're the second guy who has had some really bad experience with Savage. I talked to a guy at the local range who showed me two recently purchased Savages - NEITHER of which was shipped to him as they had been advertised on the Savage website. In other words, he ordered one thing and got something close, but not quite.

I think that the point is that he shouldn't have to do any of this, the rifle shouldn't have shown up like that. Granted I haven't seen a picture of said rifle but I would feel the way that he did.

i do recall others getting old stock instead of new models when they got something from a big distributor. it was a pre accustock model sold as a current accustocked model

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it is resolved to your satisfaction, will you remove all the mess you have created on the hide? </div></div>

I don't think the op created any mess for the hide stating the issues he had with his unacceptable rifle FOLLOWED by what was clearly the purpose of the post.

Asking for a little insight when a situation is starting out a little problematic is probably an intelligent thing to do when you have the opportunity to head another direction!

I personally appreciate the op's post. Bring obvious issues up for any other savage customers to be!

Personally I do not own a savage but have considered one in the future. After reading about the op's experience, I felt, "I'm sticking with Remington". Reading the responses lightened my opinion but can go forward being all the wiser understanding the noted problems as potential issues! Not only from the op's post BUT the responses!

I say give Savage another chance since your prepurchase research convinced you this was the right rifle for you..
As stated, there's always going to be a lemon. Even if you pay 2-3 times this price! Fortunately for us most manufacturers will make it right!

A couple of things.
1) The link you provided indicates an internal box mag not a DBM.

2) Your gun shop is ripping you off, this is an identical rifle except for camo pattern:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540361

3) The rifle you are buying is not top of the line, or even mid-grade. It is the low end rifle with a 70 dollar simmons scope and a camo dip. This is NOT an excuse for the poor quality control you have encountered.

For the fee your gunshop is charging you, you should be getting a Hunter Max, which comes in an accustock, which is a far, far superior stock, a DBM and fluted barrel.

+1 to this, your problem should be solved.

I don't agree with Azprc(Brad). Most people here expect an occasional problem to arise from all companies. Nightforce, Remington, GAP, you name it, they all have issues come up from time to time. The real meat and potatoes of this thread will come once Savage deals with it. Savage has a chance to go above and beyond, and make all of us aware that they are good to go company. They also have the chance to make all the readers leery of them. I'm a Savage guy, but I think that if a company can enjoy the free advertisement they get from positive posts, they may have to take a hit from a negative post. Time will tell which of the two this thread will be.

I have had great experiences with Savage customer service. You should contact them and I'm sure they would be more than happy to correct any factory defects. You just have to let them know first. If they refuse to help, then I can see posting a bitch session on here about a product. Hope your issues get fixed soon so you can go shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of things.
1) The link you provided indicates an internal box mag not a DBM.

2) Your gun shop is ripping you off, this is an identical rifle except for camo pattern:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540361

3) The rifle you are buying is not top of the line, or even mid-grade. It is the low end rifle with a 70 dollar simmons scope and a camo dip. This is NOT an excuse for the poor quality control you have encountered.

For the fee your gunshop is charging you, you should be getting a Hunter Max, which comes in an accustock, which is a far, far superior stock, a DBM and fluted barrel. </div></div>

id have to agree here. i bought a 10FCP with the HS stock and DBM NIB for $900 cash from a local shop. way better stock than either the tupperware or accustock. that scope and that camo dip must cost a bunch cause they are charging alot for it.

you could get a stevens action and start from scratch or a savage action for that matter for a bit more. guys here have built nice rifles for 900 with match barrels and decent stocks.

I wasn't going to get into the price, but I agree with AXEMAN. I ordered a 110 FCP-K in .300 wm from Savage's custom shop, they made me one that was left handed, and that was only $850.