• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My new-to-me precision rifle....

PhilaMike

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Phila, PA
I am getting my first precision rifle tonight and have a few questions...

Remington 700 SS 5R... Good choice? (I am NOT concerned with the mil-spec debate...)

The barrel was cut and crowned and threaded to 18.5 inches. How terribly is that going to effect my accuracy? How much accuracy is the Rifle capable of out to say 300 yards with the cut barrel? (I know I have to do my part and have good glass etc.)

I'm in Philadelphia PA so theres not that many shots longer than that that I know of.

Should I receive the Rifle in trade and trade it in for a New Rem. 700 SPS Tactical?

I NEED HELP!!! Any and all advice would be really appreciated.

By the way... is there anyone close to Philadelphia who wants to meet up? I could definately use a shooting coach. Right now I am the Blind leading myself lol.

Mike

Re: My new-to-me precision rifle....

As stated above the 18.5" barrel will not effect your accuracy, it is all going to depend on the ammo you feed it. You are definetly going to have to adjust your velocity to match the barrel. Good luck.

Try it out first. You may be just fine with it. I always like to shoot weapons when I get them even if it was only to trade up.

I've hit 1000 many times with an 18" and 175's.

Should be GTG.

My 19" rifle out performs my 24" rifle out to 500Yrds and then the 24" rifle starts to earn it's keep. I think everyone needs a shorty plus when you put the can on it the rifle will still be very nice. If you put a can on it. You will notice more muzzle blast from the shorter barrel without a can. Play with the loads and you can get good results.

Mike, the only thing that the shorter barrel is going to cost you is velocity, so it isn't going to affect accuracy. It will affect the effective range of the rifle, depending on its intended purpose. If you look around here, you'll see lots of posts by guys that shoot their short barreled .308s out to long ranges.

If 300 yards is all you're going to shoot, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll do that easy. Assuming that the guy that did the work on your rifle wasn't a butcher, I wouldn't trade it for an SPS Tactical. The SPS is an entry level rifle and isn't nearly as nice as the rifle that you have. Besides, an inch and a half of extra barrel isn't going to get you much.

Quite worrying and take it out and shoot it.

Mike, I am just outside Philly in Del Co. I shoot at New Holland, which has a 600yd range, and it is only about a 1-hour drive from Philly. You will not have any problems with the 18.5 my 20in tube will go to 1000y with the right load no problem.

Thanks for all of the help fellas. I really appreicate it.

I did receive the rifle last night and I cannot wait to shoot it. I am definately going to keep this one and learn to us it as best I can.

7mm assassin - PM inbound.