• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My newest project

DMack

1SG
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2006
FL
A seek peek of my latest project... More to follow.

IMAG2119.jpg

Re: My newest project

Ok, a little about this project. This is something I have been cooking up in my head since I started training Law Enforcement Snipers, a long time ago.

The need for a semi-automatic precision rifle has grown to the point now, that most agencies are understanding that it is a force multiplier and are really looking at the AR-10 platform as a way to augment the bolt rifle.

However, most AR-10 rifles are battle rifles, designed for stand up fighting, and not towards the special needs of the Law Enforcement Marksman.

I had a MEGA Monolithic MA-TEN upper / lower set that I used as the donor platform for this test project. The MEGA is seriously nice kit... the monolithic upper, was just what I wanted, so I could load it conventionally, and not induce barrel torque. We made some radical changes to it, to test out some theories I had floating around in my head.

First, I wanted a side charging system, so I could cycle sub-sonic ammo consistently, without coming off trigger or glass like a conventional charging system on an AR rifle. This called for a left side charger, for "most" shooters are right handed. A right side charger is also easy to do.

I also wanted a "scalloped" mag well, so I could change magazines without tipping the nose of the rifle while prone... this is for those times when I have to change from open air rounds, to barrier rounds, or vice versa, when I have the target in my sights... no more tipping off glass, to re-acquire the target. The profile on this rifle is the first cut. We are still working on the contour, to get the most support / ease of removal that we can get. It works.

I am working with Byron Peterson of Delta P Design / http://www.deltapdesign.com/ / with this rifle. I want the shortest possible configuration and the best sound suppression in that short package, for confined space shooting. The can I am testing now, is the Brevis Compact 7.62 seen here...

http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-7-62-suppressor

The initial testing will be done in the 18" configuration. This is a JP Enterprises 18" barrel with the JP Enhanced Bolt. I pulled this from another donor rifle, that shot very, very well. This is most likely NOT the final barrel configuration I will be using, for I am more drawn to a 16" version, to keep the overall length down.

The trigger is the venerable Giessele SD-E which I use in all of my precision rifles. I have grown to trust this set up, and my finger is very tuned to it. Triggers are like bicycle seats. To each their own... I prefer the SD-E in this application.

Grip is the MAGPUL MIAD, it's consistent on all of my rifles. I'm using the MAGPUL PRS on this rifle, instead of a carbine style buffer / stock system. Since this is a test bed, I will be trying several configurations before the final product is decided on.

Bipods are Harris, notched, with the cant feature... but I have them attached to the Alamo Four Star DLOC bipod mount...

http://www.alamofourstar.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/DLOC_S_4ef0abbcb5160.jpg

The glass is the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 with the G2 DMR reticle. It is mounted in the outstanding Alamo Four Star 34mm DLOC mount. This mount is a must try...

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?p...rt&Itemid=2

So, stay tuned. Testing to commence tomorrow. I will be running several loads in this rifle, getting it zeroed, and seeing how it runs with the sub sonic loads.

As with my PWS threads, I will keep this one up to date, and alert you all with my progress. As stated, this is designed from the get go, as a Law Enforcement SWS, and I have certain design parameters in mind.

We are going to be producing our OWN 7075 BILLET upper / lower / rail units, to take this into production. This will be completely ambidextrous and SHORT.

Stay tuned...

Working on pics and video. With M118LR I got an average of 2640 FPS with the chrono at 7yds from muzzle. This rifle shoots... It was effortless to get .50 inch groups at 100 yards.

I can't wait to stretch its legs out...

CLICK THIS PICTURE TO VIEW VIDEO!!!

This is an unedited video of me shooting my MEGA SAR-TEN in a five shot string, using M118LR on a three inch shoot n see at 100 yards prone. As soon as I got up, I took .1 MIL out, and let my 14 yr old son shoot a five shot group. My son was filming, so he missed my first round... but he did get me futzing with the level... that's the reason only four is in this string.

I instructed him to put the reticle directly into the group that I just shot, and then coached him on trigger control. This was his first five rounds ever on a .308

IMG_2186.jpg

My group was the top one, five rounds at 100 yards, his was the lower one... five rounds at 100 yards, with .1 MIL removed out of the elevation.

MEGASARGroup.jpg

Not too shabby...

Nice shooting/rifle. Might want to also coach that young lad on the need to wear eye protection.

T

Here is a quick video of this rifle with SUB Sonic loads...

I don't know why, but I keep saying "DMack with Sniper's Hide"... I don't work for this site, and I should say "FROM" instead... I'm very thankful for Lowlight, allowing me to post here, and I mean no disrespect saying that I am "with" Sniper's Hide. As you can tell, this video is very "off the cuff" and not very scientific.

The SUB Sonic loads are just enough to break the bolt loose from it's locking lugs, but not enough to cycle the action. There is a 5 MIL drop from POA / POI when coming from my M118LR zero, to the subsonic rounds.

The velocities noted in the video are from five rounds, fired quickly behind each other, and then averaged. I will be experimenting more with these loads, trying to tweak the charge, neck tension, etc... to get them more consistent.

So far, this project is coming along nicely.

This video was shot at my dad's farm, he has a nice bullet trap made and from where I am shooting, it is exactly 100 yards to the bullet trap. Behind the trap, is about 100 acres of woods, so please don't fret that I am doing this without safety. Click on the link, then watch "full screen" to see the text commentaries...

No, I'm not wearing eye pro in this video. I'm not wearing hearing protection either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7ciMQ6qxI&feature=youtu.be

I stammered a bit, when I mentioned having to dispatch a dog, or... well... I wanted to choose my words correctly, knowing that this would be viewed by non LE personnel. No, we are not in the business of putting dogs down. But, as a marksman, there are times when a Team has to make entry, and there is a land shark that may cause problems, it's easier to take out the problem quietly, and allow the team to make entry. This is just one of the many scenarios that sub sonic ammo can come into play. Can this happen? Yes. Is it the best course of action? Maybe not. Just something to ponder...

In the Civilian world, it also has it's place. The issue is that it is a very close distance round, and not as accurate. I am going to play around with different bullet weights, profiles, and charges to shoot, to see if more accuracy can be had.

Again, just an experiment.

The SUB Sonic loads used are 155 Grain Flat Nose Lead, with a copper jacket... over 7 grains of trail boss powder, loaded to 2.80 COAL... Byron stated that he gets the best performance out of the flat nosed bullets. I'm looking at a few others to try... more to follow.

Looks great, I'm real interested in the dud-sonic stuff.

Hawkerpilot... me as well. There's been times that I wish I had more than a supressed sub-sonic .22 with me... this would surely fit the bill.

Load data is in it's infancy stage now... more to follow. I will keep this thread on topic, and detailed like I did in my PWS stuff. This rifle is a shooter... I can't WAIT to get it out with Battle Axe's GAP-10 and see how it shoots beside it.

It's got great parts, and everything is put together nicely. So, it ought to do well... This is just the prototype for the project we will start building in house. I used the MEGA MA-Ten as the donor platform, and using the JP Enterprises barrel until our barrel blanks arrive, and we do our own.

So far though... this thing is impressive.

Stay tuned...

Very interesting.

How hard and how expensive is it to convert the MA TEN to side charging?

I like what I see so far.
cool.gif

smschulz,

I am doing some consulting for a manufacturer here in Jacksonville, FL... we (they) are actually going to be doing their own Billet 7075 Upper / Lower combo's with their own gas blocks, barrels, BCG's, etc... to fill in the gaps where the MEGA falls flat.

The MEGA is one of the finest MONO systems I have messed with, but there are some features that I would like to see, for what I intend to do with this rifle. The entire idea of this project, is to bring a package to Law Enforcement, with usable features that the LE Marksman needs (accuracy, deployability and cost) and still compete with the National Brands. This one is a test bed. The side charging conversion was done on a hand mill, and is a "one off" for right now.

As the project progresses, I will add more information. I'm just the user... and give feed back to the machinist on how it works, or doesn't work...

So, in a round about way, I can't answer your question as for cost. However, the projected package price (Rifle, Glass, Mount, Case, Bipod, Suppressor, etc) will be VERY competitive with market prices... and will be offered in various builds.

I'm going for the SHORTEST / QUIETEST build that I can get Law Enforcement engagement distances to be drop dead repeatable. I need sub MOA out to 250 yards... and MOM (Minute of Man) beyond that. I need it repeatable, and absolutely reliable. That is the ticket.

So, stay tuned... things are moving. We will be producing everything in house, to keep the cost down. I'm already running the 5.56 barrels, and they are some of the most accurate barrels I have ever used. I have a 12.5" side charger (5.56) that blows my mind.

I'm headed to the Virgin Islands to train for two weeks... so, this thread will lie dormant until my return. More pics, video and range reports at distance to follow. I want Battle Axe to shoot it, and get his impression as well.

Cheers!!!

Killshot... this thing is a pretty cool piece of kit. It's neat to see my thoughts become reality. Stay tuned... more to follow upon my return.

Heck, I wish I could convert my AR-15 to side charging!

DMack, SERIOUSLY nice set up. I have always thought a MA-TEN MEGA based short barrel precision AR-10 would be the bees knees. Maybe I missed it reading through your posts but is this one DI or piston like your MK214? Looks like I have another thread I will be feverishly following . . .

I got to fondle this thing a few days ago and it's a very trick rig. It's good to know there's a machinist here in town that can pull off some of these mods...def got me thinking and the side charger is insanely simple.

Let me know when you get back from the 3rd world and we'll head out to BSF to light that baby up at distance.

UIU...

This is my SAR-15 that they build. This one is a 12.5" barrel, that shoots .50" groups at 100 yards, and I was able to put 20 out of 20 rounds on a 30x18 IPSC steel silhouette target at 640 yards, with 69 grain SMK. This rifle runs suppressed, as well as un-suppressed like a swiss watch.

I am using this rifle as a long term test bed for components that the company turns out. So far, they have made some changes based on things I have found just running the snot out of the rifle.

As much as I LOVE my PWS rifles, this is my DI gun of choice. This particular one is based on a CORE-15 lower, that was spec'd by us... however, we have 50 of our own lowers going to broaching as we speak. We do our own barrels, gas blocks, bolt carriers, uppers, and SOON lowers, rails, muzzle devices (this one is an A2) to keep the cost down.

It runs very well.

SAR-15.jpg

jon... this one is DI.

My PWS MK214 is amazing... as you have read... but, this baby here, is designed as a PRECISION rifle from the get go. AS much as I love the MEGA, our version will be perfect (in my own eyes) because it will incorporate things that I want to see as an end user. Plus, I've got my hands in this up to my elbows... and I can ASSURE quality control.

So, yes... follow this one. It's gonna gain traction. My PWS MK214 is going back to the local Sheriff's Office before I punch out to the USVI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to fondle this thing a few days ago and it's a very trick rig. It's good to know there's a machinist here in town that can pull off some of these mods...def got me thinking and the side charger is insanely simple.

Let me know when you get back from the 3rd world and we'll head out to BSF to light that baby up at distance. </div></div>

Brother... it will be ON!!! Besides, I can't wait to see that new toy you just got.

Looks very interesting! Need a gas block that you can turn off for the subs, maybe? Works great that way on my REPR. I like the cut magwell idea.

In the air, bound for St. Croix, USVI at the crack o dawn... More to follow in two weeks...

IMG_20120708_122713.jpg

This rifle shoots really well with M118LR.

IMG_20120708_104109.jpg

The significance of this group is that I had this rifle COMPLETELY APART two days prior. I had to do some more milling to the side charger on the left side... and this is testament to the Alamo Four Star DLOC mount, and the Bushnell HDMR optic. This thing returned to zero perfectly.

If you have not tried the Alamo DLOC mount, you owe it to yourself to take a look at them.

The more I shoot this rifle, the more I love it. I'm doing a 16" version with the full sized Brevis 7.62 suppressor to see if it will give me the accuracy and performance envelope that I require for this package.

Stay tuned Sports Fans!!!

DMack out.

Taking the rifle apart, working on it, then putting it back together and getting THOSE results!?! I'm happy if the stars align and I get those 5-shot results out of my bolt guns. (They are fully capable, it's me that's the variable.)

This was witnessed... Not a Hollywood group either. This rifle shoots! I can't wait to see what I can do with it at distance...

I'm getting 2640 FPS with M118LR on average for muzzle velocity (7 yds), so... it should be good to go out to 800 to 1k. We shall see soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was witnessed... Not a Hollywood group either. This rifle shoots! I can't wait to see what I can do with it at distance... </div></div>
That was the 1st group you shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was witnessed... Not a Hollywood group either. This rifle shoots! I can't wait to see what I can do with it at distance... </div></div>
That was the 1st group you shot. </div></div>

First group? Reeediculous.

BA... let's get this pig out to the long range, and see what we can do with it. I think it's good to go... definitely from what I have seen so far.

It will be interested to see the 16" version with the full sized Brevis 7.62 can on it... I wanna see if it performs as well as this one does.

It should... only it will have MUCH better suppression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BA... let's get this pig out to the long range, and see what we can do with it. I think it's good to go... definitely from what I have seen so far.

It will be interested to see the 16" version with the full sized Brevis 7.62 can on it... I wanna see if it performs as well as this one does.

It should... only it will have MUCH better suppression. </div></div>
I've been out of the loop and slammed. Cant imagine quieter...this one running subs was quieter than most every 22lr I've heard. I was pretty shocked at how quiet for an auto.

Here it is on my Alamo Four Star DLCW...

IMG_20120714_110811.jpg

Shooting this weekend with Battle Axe...

Update... this rifle turned out to be over gassed... as if that's a surprise. So, I ordered a JP adjustable gas block, and a heavy buffer / spring from Slash. Tuning will commence shortly.