• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors My next suppressor...

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Thinking about getting a new suppressor. I own a TBAC Ultra 9 and a AAC mini-4 currently.

What those two don't cover is:
- something short for my .300 bo when I don't want a 9 inch monster on it
- pistol
- rimfire

I think a strong and short (less than 6") .45 ACP can that can manage supersonic .300 bo and is user disassemblable for cleaning will fit the bill, but am struggling to find one that exists. As long as it's under a pound, I'm happy, don't need it to be ultra light. Recommendations?

Or rugged obsidian 45, but it's only for 300 subsonic too

other than voiding warranty.. what would happen if i shot supers out of it?

Omega 9k- short, thick and softly spoken. Can take supers. As a bonus, you can put a trilug on the 300bk and then get an HK mp5 clone......

It's only rated for ACP (subsonic), so I think it would depend on how hot the Super was, just like the pistol itself. I would think it's very possible the pressure of a Super would blow it apart. There's probably not many people who would test out the theory on their expensive and long awaited can...

I think the Nielsen device may be the weak point if it's designed for the recoil of an ACP, and then you torque it with a Super... If I was going to try it (which I would not), I would remove the Nielsen device first.

I have to say though, I like the stability that a long can adds (especially on pistols and SBRs). I find the pistol is a lot more stable and I'm a lot more accurate the longer and heavier the can is. Seeing as how I'm never "operating", going through a shoot house, or engaging bad guys in CQB the necessity of a short can escapes me.

I run a 9" on my comp rifle and never feel like an extra couple of inches costs me.

Dragging a 27'' barrel rifle (my prs gun) with a 9 inch can gets insane when i'm hunting. Not in terms of weight but it terms of getting snagged on in thick brush

additionally when you're hunting out of a vehicle, a small, short carbine is really nice to not get snagged on the vehicle itself.

I lke the sico k, i'll take a look at that. EDIT: Only kicker right now is that it's not disassemblable for rimfire use, agh

Get a dedicated 22 rim fire can and don’t look back.

Dragging a 27'' barrel rifle (my prs gun) with a 9 inch can gets insane when i'm hunting. Not in terms of weight but it terms of getting snagged on in thick brush

additionally when you're hunting out of a vehicle, a small, short carbine is really nice to not get snagged on the vehicle itself.

I lke the sico k, i'll take a look at that. EDIT: Only kicker right now is that it's not disassemblable for rimfire use, agh
Yea, my comp rifle would be one of the last rifles in the safe I would take hunting. Heavy and awkward in the extreme.

I used a Spectre2 on all those and a WSM. Works fantastic. Tames them all. It'll even work on a 22/17Hornet. It was my 1st suppressor. I have a Crux 6.5 Saxon in the paper wait now also. Whatever you do, get a serviceable can for rim fires. They are crazy dirty.

Personally I feel pistol cans are hobbyists toys. No real application in my eyes on a pistol. If you have pistol cal carbines would be the only reason I would ever maybe want one. I’d get a ultra 7 or 5 and still be able to bring the OL length down on the 300blk and be ok with supers and any other centerfire you own. Or do a rimfire can. If you really want to laugh and giggle over how quiet something is, subsonic 22LR suppressed is about as fun as it gets.

It's only rated for ACP (subsonic), so I think it would depend on how hot the Super was, just like the pistol itself. I would think it's very possible the pressure of a Super would blow it apart. There's probably not many people who would test out the theory on their expensive and long awaited can...

I think the Nielsen device may be the weak point if it's designed for the recoil of an ACP, and then you torque it with a Super... If I was going to try it (which I would not), I would remove the Nielsen device first.

I have to say though, I like the stability that a long can adds (especially on pistols and SBRs). I find the pistol is a lot more stable and I'm a lot more accurate the longer and heavier the can is. Seeing as how I'm never "operating", going through a shoot house, or engaging bad guys in CQB the necessity of a short can escapes me.

I run a 9" on my comp rifle and never feel like an extra couple of inches costs me.

If you're referring to the Obsidian .45, it's rated for some chamberings that are much hotter than .45 acp, like .44 mag, .450 Bushmaster, and .45-70. Also, you'd never use a piston with a spring in it on a fixed barrel like a .300 BLK, you'd have to use a fixed barrel spacer, a direct thread mount, or maybe a 3-lug.

I personally wouldn't go against the manufacturers recommendation and use the Obsidian on a .300 BLK with supers, but I also don't really think it would just blow up if you did.

other than voiding warranty.. what would happen if i shot supers out of it?
as others have mentioned I doubt if it would just blow up (at least not right away) but over a little while (depending upon brand and can) it would erode the blast baffles and could blow up.

basically almost all of the pistol cans will shoot 300 subs thru them but if you want to shoot supers you'll need to step to a rifle can which then it typically not able to be disassembled for cleaning.

I"m on my way to 3 cans- a 22lr can, 45 pistol can (that I can shoot subs, 44 special, 45acp, etc) and a 30 cal rifle can (Nomad more than likely) and then further down the road I"ll add a precision rifle can (TBAC) to the mess for bolt guns. it's a slippery slope.

Do you remove the Nielsen device from your .45 can when you shoot .300BLK subs? I have a .300BLK and a .45 pistol can, but it never occurred to me to run anything but a .30 cal rifle can on the .300BLK. The pistol can is half the size of the TBAC can I normally use.

Thinking about getting a new suppressor. I own a TBAC Ultra 9 and a AAC mini-4 currently.

What those two don't cover is:
- something short for my .300 bo when I don't want a 9 inch monster on it
- pistol
- rimfire

I think a strong and short (less than 6") .45 ACP can that can manage supersonic .300 bo and is user disassemblable for cleaning will fit the bill, but am struggling to find one that exists. As long as it's under a pound, I'm happy, don't need it to be ultra light. Recommendations?

Rugger Obsidian 45 full auto belt fed machine gun rated, lifetime warranty and rated up to 300blk subsonic. Short and long config

if i could redo it, I'd own an ultra 5, a 338 ultra, and some 45 pistol can.... but live and learn. My Ultra 9 is insanely quiet with subs as well.

my vote would be a obsidian 45. if you plan to shoot 22lr, you'll want something that is user serviceable.