• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Old Mauser 98

JakeVculek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Alta, Ca
finished.jpg

72203_10150104744523747_670808746_7419759_3365881_n.jpg

me.jpg

My old Mauser 98 8mm, with a few after market gizmo's thanks to Ranger 70
smile.gif

Re: My Old Mauser 98

I love Mausers..
Not enough tactical goodies are made for the 98 platform

Apart from a Mauser action - not sure how this qualifies as a vintage sniper rifle?

But looks like some nice country to shoot it in!

Jake,

I love all my old Mauser actions. Details on the rifle if you would please.

And yes folks, aside from LA, San Fran, and the Valleys, California has some awesome places to be and shoot.

Mauser 98 action, Er shaw Barrel, custom ultimate sniper stock fit for the mauser platform, harris bipod, All thanks to Ranger70

Years ago when choate came out with that ultimate sniper stock, I bought one for a model 70, I called choate and asked them if they were considering making one for the mauser, they told me no, there werent enough people who would buy them. I think they would have sold tons of them. I also asked bell and carlson when I was at the shot show in 2008 if they were planning on making their a5 type stock for the mauser, they pretty much told me the same thing, I cant figure it out, they are normally backordered for their other mauser stocks. There is a market for the tactical stocks for mausers and nobody but ati has made any and the ati isnt worth the plastic its molded out of.

So you just pull over to the side of the highway and sling lead?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf10t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you just pull over to the side of the highway and sling lead? </div></div> If its forest service out here in the west then yes..

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of this gun? I built a 98 action rebarreled for .308 in a 26" ER shaw. im getting consistent 3/4 MOA out to 500 with consistent hits on my 760 yard 18" bull as well. But every time I ask a gunsmith about it they say that its not worth it to build a shooter out of a mauser action.

Hey Joe is this a 98 that you built ? that looks really good man . what stock is that
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAUSERS FOR THE WIN!!!!!

2011-09-14_16-37-39_391.jpg
</div></div>

Nice rifle buddy. Did you do the complete build yourself?

Alex_1911A1 -
Nice rifle. Tell us more about it. What caliber? What kind of stock, trigger, etc.? Pictures always help.

Hi ranger1183, thanks!

-Caliber: .308 win,
- M852 Chamber
- 1908 Brazilian Mauser action (Mauser 98);
- Homemade wood stock (Brazilian imbuia) with rubber coating;
- Farrel 15MOA mount.
- SS 10x42 rear focus with Leupold QD rings;
- TAB sling;
- karsten cheek piece;
- Timney Trigger copy (all steel);
- Harris S LM 9-13 with pod lock

I'll take a couple of miles of that scenery, can you box and ship to Florida?

I picked up an old m98 Guild, just bought an original sniper scope from Berlin, unfortunately the claw mounts are way off, so I am hunting more mounts. The scope is sweet too, nothing like your mausers above, if the rifle wasn't an engraved Guild I would turn it into a project.

German k98

Recently built this one on a 1944 k98 action.

Wilson 26" heavy sporter barrel, .308 Win.
Leatherwood 4-16x50 scope
Leupold one piece mount and rings
Timney featherweight trigger
Win model 70 safety conversion
Boyds classic stock
Custom bolt handle

I have been bugging Boyds Gunstocks requesting their Tacticool stock for Mauser 98. The only other company that offers tactical/target stocks for Mauser, at an affordable price, is Richards Microfit Stocks. All others are $500 plus stocks.
I am planning to upgrade the scope to a Vortex PST 6-24x50 soon, as well as a tactical stock from Richards or Boyds, if they actually go ahead and offer a Mauser 98 Tacticool.

Last edited:
This is a VZ 24 that Kimber sporterized in the mid 90's.
It's chambered in 7mmRM and my buddy has taken it out to a mile.
This January we were shooting on silhouettes and he drilled a 1435 yard cold bore shot with it.
It's currently set up with a 16X mil/mil SS, Houge stock and a Timney I put in it in 99.
For about 600 all said and done, not too shabby.
288290_10151025061467779_552401467_o.jpg

Hi Guys ,

Yes , its a very nice rifle , its a close clone of a Canadain C3A1 sniper rifle , which is basically a Parker Hale M87 rifle with a TX1200 target rifle profile barrel , dropped into either the TX1200 wooden stock or a McMillan A2 glass stock , using a mount designed by Unertl ( to mount a 10x Unertl cammed in meters ) and made by Parker Hale just for the Canadain C3A1 contract .

The mount is super rare , and the one I picked up had been cut , and so my gunsmith had to repair it so I could use it , he then milled the front slot in the action for this mount , and fitted a brand new cold hammer forged 308 barrel made on old Parker Hale machines , in the TX1200 profile .

The rifle was basically a un-used UK Police M87 in 243 , that I brought quite a few years ago for this project .

Stock its in is the standard M87 wooden stock .

Only 2 more things to do ,

1 ) Blue the extractor
2 ) re-stock in either a wood Tx1200 stock , or a McM A2 glass stock

that will complete the build .

Cheers Chris

what the hell I'll post a few pics of my 98. I just got done cerakoting the action(inside & out), the barrel, and the bolt. stuff is amazing bolt cycles really smooth now.

Nice gun. Guy at my club does a ton of custom mauser work. I have 4 german mausers that were vet bring backs Ive aquired. I would never dare do anything but shoot them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk