• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My "One Piece at a Time" project....

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Being old, slow and on a fixed income has it's challenges. I started gathering pieces and parts 2 years ago for this build (photo). I still have a Wish list for some more parts. I've gathered some priceless info here on SH, made some friends and ruffled some feathers... A special thanks to Crewdog135 for helping me out along the way..
Thanks to all of you for your help.

Hobo

Attachments

• IMG_5532 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5532 - Copy.JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 300
Great question... Here it is..

I just wanted a "Business Rifle"..

Chronologically here's how it went:

My hearing is very poor so I got on the waiting list for a Thunder Beast Ultra 7, (5/8 x 24 thread).

I settled on the Remington 700 foot print due to the number of options and accessories.

I had installed Hawkins M5 bottom metal in my other Remington 700 and it was a pleasure to deal with them on some technical things so I went, once again, with Hawkins. He furnished the AICS magazines as well.

Being I'm in Montana I wanted a caliber that matched my surroundings so I went with the 300WM.

During the pandemic and with Remington closing up shop the used 700's were pretty scarce. A Remington 270 came up at Gardener's Auction in Missoula along with some very fine other weapons. The collectors were bidding staggering prices but I had plugged in what my budget would allow, $450. It was an online auction. Surprised me that later that evening I was sent an email saying I was the successful bidder. It came with an old scope.
About that time there was a 22 week wait for most any barrel and a SN member helped me out to get a low round count Criterion barrel.
I chose the Remage setup due to the 6 month waits at local gunsmiths.
The 270 bolt would not work with the 300WM and there were no good used bolts to be found. I found Heritage Arms and they could deliver a Magnum bolt in about 2 - 3 weeks. Good people and the product seems good. I was directed away from PTG bolts by SH members.
The original Remington bolt was only contacting on one lug so I lapped in the Heritage bolt so it has good contact on both lugs.
A guy over on AR15.com had a Bell and Carson stock listed that fit my budget, barrel sise and had no modifications. So I bought it.
Installed a Timney trigger, top rail from LaRue and changed the majority of the bolts to Torx heads.
Stock needed to have some material removed in a few places. I fit my Bottom Metal differently than most folks. I used a Dremel with a milling type cutter and left a generous amount of clearance between the stock and metal. I do this because should anything "settle in" with the recoil lug or inset I do not want my Bottom Metal taking any of the recoil through the stock. I installed a thicker than standard recoil lug.
I fit the recoil lug slot so as to where I stood the weapon on the butt of the stock and bumped it on the floor to get the final alignment on the two bolts that hold the action to the stock. Basically I took the slack out of the lug and inlet.
There was some fitting to get the round in the magazine to have good engagement with the bolt. I choose to take the time to make the fit rather than to start altering the magazine lips.
Had a Vortex scope I picked up 2 years ago and mounted it with Vortex PMR rings.
Set headspace with a Forster 300 Belted Mag Gage.
Added an adjustable cheek riser so when I throw it up to my shoulder it is a good fit.
Added a longer rail on the forearm for a bipod and sling attachment.
A BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas Bipod is on the "Wish List"... As fixed income funds permit.
It has been a rewarding and interesting project. Great info here on SH.

Hobo

Sounds likenyouve obviously enjoyed the process. Hows it shoot for you, have you worked up a load?
Lots of fall chores getting ready for winter here on the homestead. I'm gathering reloading components as they come available. I'll check back as things move into a winter mode and I get some of my projects caught up. Firewood is almost as hard to find as reloading components this year.

Wow nice rig Hobo. Sounds like a really familiar story...
Is that red spot on the barrel nut a witness mark?
I appreciate those sharp eyes.... I come from the "Heavy Industrial World".... Nuts, bolts, rust, vibration, extreme hot and cold.... You never know if something moved without the witness marks..... I just did not want to start out with Red Loctite... LOL