• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My plan for future training plus a few questions.

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
In April 2011 I leave for Navy basic training. I received a contract for an Aircrewman rating (Avionics Technician). A couple days ago i received a guaranteed spot at Aviation Rescue Swimmer school. So im pretty excited about that, its what ive always wanted.

With that rating comes a little monetary bonus, which I plan on saving and putting toward a nice home later on, or expenses, etc. I do however want to spend a little of it on a nice new gun and some training courses. Just in my spare time, id like to take some practical handgun and combat handgun courses. My question is, if i spend the bucks to get the 1911 ive always wanted, will the skills i learn on it transfer to other guns? Is it realistic to expect that if i train with gun A, i will pick up practical skills that will transfer to gun B? Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Re: My plan for future training plus a few questions.

The basics are just that. They will be the same for any handgun you pick up. Each one is a little different but the basic principles remain the same. Enjoy the rescue swimmer school. I went through the basic aircrew survival school years ago with some SAR pups. Lots of swimming.

It seems to me that those individuals who spend a lot of time around guns in general (pistol or rifle) are much more confident with them. Those who actually use them regularly and have been taught to PROPPER methods for handling firearms are often fairly proficient with all guns. My GF hasn't spent much time with firearms, and it shows when she handles any type of gun. So, in my opinion, there would be some carry-over into other shooting disciplines. Obviously there are differences, but I think there are enough similarities to justify the training.

Just my .02

Well I don't plan on blindly using any weapon, or ever being in the situation where I would need to.

I plan on training with the gun I intend to carry before I carry it, etc. Also I believe that training is ongoing, not just a class and then im GTG with all guns forever.

My question was really asked only because id really like to get a nice Wilson or other nice 1911, and do the training courses with it. However for range plinking ill probably use my 9mms. So my question was really just "if im combat trained on a 1911, can I expect that training to improve my other shooting as well?"

If I may chime in from my perspective. I would say that your training from one firearm to another within the same relm ie (pistol to pistol or rifle to rifle) is capable of transfering if you put the needed work into it again. What I mean is first understand that the two guns you mention using 1911 and a 9mm are different and will most likely be different in operartion ie trigger pull, recoil, funtion of the gun, but the fundamentals like trigger squeeze, proper grip, sight alignment etc will be the same in basic but different for each gun. So you must go through, preferably physically as well as mentally and actually practice what is taught during your training course with the other weapon inorder for it to transfer over. Muscle memory is the key. When you go to the range with the 9mm for trigger time, you must make that training time aswell. Don't just go and figure that during your course you were a good shot with the 1911 so you'll be better with your 9mm. Go to the firing line and walk through the class again and again and again if needed untill you see your training come through.

What I'm trying to say is that your training is more specific or benificial to YOU not the gun you are using at the specific point in time. If you take the class with the 1911 but really want it to benifit your 9mm shooting then you are the one who needs to apply the training to the 9mm. With that being said if you are constantly practicing with the 9mm, don't forget to dust off the 1911 so your muscle memory doesn't start dropping off there. Hope that helps.

And congrats on getting into the rescue swimmer class, I hope I never meet you while you are working
grin.gif

Good points. I know a 1911 and say, a subcompact glock, are going to be completely different. Im hoping ill be able to use learnings from training to transfer skills and practice onto other platforms.