• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rem 700SPS Tactical (.308)

30ought6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
VA
Howdy,

For the past several months I’ve been lurking around gathering information to implement on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical (.308 Win.) I purchased in 2010. The immediate post-purchase additions included:

-Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10X
-Weaver rings
-EGW 0 MOA Picatinny base
-Harris 6”-9” bipod
-Nylon sling

The rifle is zeroed at 200 yards utilizing my preferred handloads: 150gr FMJ-BT at 2600 ft/s using IMR 4895. For about 18 months, I was fairly pleased with the rifle’s form, fit, and function until I really noticed at least one flier per three shots. On average, as long as I was doing my job and ignoring the occasional flier, I was shooting 0.5 – 0.75 MOA. Factoring in the fliers opened it up to about 1 MOA.

With the fliers bothering me and noticing I was reaching for the trigger, I decided the Hogue stock needed to be replaced. An H-S Precision stock replaced the Hogue, and I also lowered the X-Mark Pro trigger weight from 5.5 lbs to roughly 3.5 lbs. After those modifications, I was consistently shooting .6 MOA. The X-Mark trigger was not constant shot-to-shot, so it was replaced today with a Timney, based on reviews from this forum.

Here’s the rifle as it is today:

7411861714_daf26a017a_b.jpg

Hopefully, I’ll get to take it out this weekend and push to 300 yds.

Cheers folks!

Re: My Rem 700SPS Tactical (.308)

congrats...that's a nice rifle and the new trigger should make a difference the next time you go shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">congrats...that's a nice rifle and the new trigger should make a difference the next time you go shoot</div></div>

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least you figured out you needed to scrap that shitty stock.</div></div>

It took me a little while...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: losthelegend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After I changed out my stock and trigger on my SPS I have really enjoyed shooting it! </div></div>

I guess I need to load more ammo now...

Now all you need is a lot of trigger time. Those are the two best upgrades that you could have done in my opinion. You aught to be able to get those groups even tighter now.

Very Nice Rifle and good mods! However just wondering why would you go with a 0 MOA Scope Base? I say this because if you want to get in to Long Range Precision shooting in the long run you'll want to have a 20 MOA Base for later...0 MOA will hinder your range for the Long Distance Works...Just FYI.

0 MOA base will not hinder your long distance. Its a common misconception that you need a 20moa base for a .308 to shoot a range of say 1000 yards... How do you think they shot that far in the past before elevated rails were invented. Typical scopes such as leupold have 80 moa of adjustment in them. 0 moa will be just fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice Rifle and good mods! However just wondering why would you go with a 0 MOA Scope Base? I say this because if you want to get in to Long Range Precision shooting in the long run you'll want to have a 20 MOA Base for later...0 MOA will hinder your range for the Long Distance Works...Just FYI.</div></div>

Thanks HOGTOOTH5R.

I decided to go with the 0 MOA base for several reasons. The place I regularly sling lead at is limited to 300 yds maximum range. While I can access a 1000-yd range, its availability is close to zero. Lastly, I'm extending the target distances as I hone my skills.

In the future, I may put a 20 MOA base on that rifle, or I could purchase another rifle to tinker with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 707electrician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have enough travel in your scope you wont need a 20 MO base to get to 1000 anyway</div></div>

I checked the travel, and I have enough.

good move with the trigger replacement....did mine too and noticed a huge difference on my trigger pull....Timney FTW!

Looking good there!
Love my .308 SPS tactical I had a surefire muzzle brake put on mine and changed out the stock for a McMillan. Tuned a 168 AMax for the leupold A3 turrets its dead nuts on out to 600yrds. Very accurate and simple to use. Wish the scope was calibrated for the 175 class bullets though...

My sps is excellent to 500 yds, limitation of my local range. Set it up with a sp raptor 4-24 and Harris bipod and it shoots 3" at 500 and .3 at a hundred. Found the right load and have been consistent! Enjoy the rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking good there!
Love my .308 SPS tactical I had a surefire muzzle brake put on mine and changed out the stock for a McMillan. Tuned a 168 AMax for the leupold A3 turrets its dead nuts on out to 600yrds. Very accurate and simple to use. Wish the scope was calibrated for the 175 class bullets though... </div></div>

You can contact Leupold for those... in case you didnt know that all ready.

Well, no range time this past weekend...dammit. Hopefully this weekend will work out, or I'll celebrate the 4th of July by slinging lead.

Well, I finally made it to the range

7941240636_7533fde379.jpg

ok, it's only a three-shot group, but I was going up against inbound storms.

200 yard nice group sir I also have a Rem 700 sps 20 bbl I have to say I like it I also dropped a Timney in mine along with a HS stock the m24 vertical grip model and it does very nice for me but man I fell in love with my Remmy 5R,but hey beautiful stick sir.