• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rem700 .308 build plan. Any input welcome

Mikealicious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
Tracy, Ca
Well I'm in the market for a rem 700 .308. I don't want to buy something crazy out of the box, and spend a ton of money on it right away. I'd like to buy a base model, throw a scope on it, become profficient with it, and upgrade as I go.

I'm looking to build more of a bench/rest/bipod shooter. This gun will see 100-200 yard and a 300 yard gong range frequently. About 3-5 times a year, I have access to about 1000yds which I'd love to try and shoot at. But the majority will be 100-300yds.

My plan was to buy the 26" rem 700 sps .308 varmint. I can get this for about $520.

Still not sure on the scope, rings, or mount yet. I'd like to keep the price around $1000 or less for the scope if possible. I don't need a top of the line scope, but don't want something cheap either.

as far as barrel's down the road I was looking into either the 23" bartlein in a 1:11 twist or the hart 24" in a 1:12. I'd be doing hand loads, in most likely either a 162 or 168 grain bullet. both barrels are about $310-$315.

as far as stocks go, the B&C Tactical Varmint stock seemed to fit my application. It'd be glass-bedded and free floated. It has the adjustable length of pull, as well as the adjustable cheek riser which is something I was looking for. Price seems to be around $430ish for these.

onto the trigger. I've shot Jewell and Gieselle 2-stage and timney single stage triggers. I think for this build, as well as the type of shooting I'd be doing, the Jewell 2-stage is the route I'd like to go. most likely 1.5-2lb pull.

I don't have any bipods on my current rifles, but from what I've read, the Harris seem to be pretty popular. Any specific model better than the next. I'd be either shooting it from a bench, or prone, so I most likely wouldn't need anything that extends far.

the machine work will be done by Anthony's Precision Rifles in San Lorenzo, Ca. He's done work on my old man's rifles before, and we've been pleased with the results. I was going to have him create/install the muzzle brake, chamber and thread the barrel, bed and free float the stock. He had also mentioned blueprinting the action, but I've heard mixed reviews about these. Some people swear by it, and some people say it isn't really needed. I'm still new to this, so would someone mind explaining exactly what blueprinting the action does? Isn't that just making sure everything is true/flat to the bolt and barrel?

Some friends had mentioned just buying the action instead, and build the gun up, so I learn the gun once it's complete, rather than re-learning the gun every time I add to it. Still not sure if it'd be that big of a difference when I swap parts.

Any/all advice is welcome and appreciated as this is my first real build on a bigger caliber.

Re: My Rem700 .308 build plan. Any input welcome

If you do not want to spend allot of cash now then you may be better off buying a factory rifle and shooting the daylights out of it. Then slowly upgrade as you learn what it is you like.

If you are going to put a barrel on it then most good smiths are going to true the action. If you are going to spend the money on a true job you may be better off buying a custom action. You can check the group buy section for a deal on a custom action.

I don’t think you can get a 2 stage Jewell trigger for Remington style action.

This sounds like a good plan. I'm following a similar course. I picked up the SPS Varmint in .308 and mounted a Zeiss Conquest that I took off another rifle on Leupy STD rings & bases. I added the B&C medalist A5 stock and had a gunsmith friend glass bed it. Everything else still stock, but I'll be getting some purpose-designed glass next.

Good luck.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to put a barrel on it then most good smiths are going to true the action. If you are going to spend the money on a true job you may be better off buying a custom action. You can check the group buy section for a deal on a custom action.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if u decide to go with the custom action look at stillers precision they are fairly priced. you actually get a better deal buying a custom action, then trueing your factory remington. check out this video it will explain it a little better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8H4Xx_Nnk&feature=fvsr </div></div>

appreciate the info, but I most likely won't be going with a custom action, due to the fact that I'd like to shoot the rifle before/while I'm upgrading it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the beast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Monarch scopes. Not too expensive but great glass. </div></div>

Isn't the monarch a mil/moa adjustment? I'd like to keep it mil/mil if I could.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds like a good plan. I'm following a similar course. I picked up the SPS Varmint in .308 and mounted a Zeiss Conquest that I took off another rifle on Leupy STD rings & bases. I added the B&C medalist A5 stock and had a gunsmith friend glass bed it. Everything else still stock, but I'll be getting some purpose-designed glass next.

Good luck.

FH </div></div>

right on. how do you like the medalist A5?

Really pleased with it. I got it from Stocky's. Good transaction. I can recommend both.

FH

yea that monarch is mil/moa. i made that mistake when i didn't know any better. but otherwise the monarch is still a good scope for the money imo.

isn't the vortex viper pst mil/mil? seems others have liked it. Not sure which magnification I should go with. 4-16x50 or 6-24x50

I could be wrong but I thought the Vortex Viper PST was available in both MOA/MOA and MIL/MIL. (yep, I'm right, SWFA's website has both MOA/MOA and MIL/MIL scopes available.)
With majority of your shooting in the 1-300 yard range (per your prior post), either would be good, however because of price difference, I would go with the 4-16. That will also give you more than enough magnification to reach out to 1k. (Standard rule is 1x per 100 yards minimum).

that's sort of what I was thinking too. the more I thought about it, the more a 24x magnification seemed like a lot. lol

i like the high magnification. worse case scenario if u dont need all that power than dont use it. worse case sceenario if get the 4-16 and find out its not enough, youll have to get another scope. i would suggest the 6-24 FFP only 50 bucks difference and you wont be dissapointed. they are very nice scopes