• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd and mini 14

andersonman22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
California
i thought id share with the rest of you gun people.

my Remington.
just bought it about 2 months ago, about 100 rounds down the tube.
shot only 3 groups for accuracy after sighting it in, the rest was plinking.
best 3 shot group so far is 3/4" at 100 yards(168 gr. smk federal match ammo), but don't judge the rifle, im still a novice shooter. i love this gun and it is my first bolt action. i love the short barrel i think it looks and feel great. i also love the fact that once i move up to Oregon a can slap a can on the barrel
smile.gif
. i'm very satisfied with this gun.

model is sps tactical aac-sd (1 in 10 twist)
bell and carlson a3 style stock
harris BRM-S 6-9 with generic pod-loc
KRG bolt lift kit (awsome upgrade)
swfa ss 10x42mm (AWSOME scope for the money)

P1160408.jpg

P1160405.jpg

P1160387.jpg

my mini.
its a newer 580 model with a tapered barrel. shoots nice with the harbar, i was pretty consistently hitting a bucket, slightly bigger than a coffee can, at about 300 yards standing up. wanna sit down one day and see what its really capable of.

P1160400.jpg

the scope on is rather interesting.
its called a PSOP 5x40 scope, made by the same people who make the russian military scope for dragunovs and ak-47s. it cost 200 bucks, it was a gamble but i decided id take a risk just because other scope they made got good reviews. im satisfied to say the least, good clear glass, eye relief is funny but you get used to it. dont really use the illumination or the calibrated bullet drop turret, but the feature is cool. quality is good, they could have manufactured some things on the scope a little better, but hey for 200 bucks, its a cool scope. reticle looks very similar to the one posted, except with a dot in the middle, and elevation markers are more precise, idk what the heck this one here is supposed to do. very easy and fun to use, i do recommend it if you want something unique for your 223.
cons. if you move the calibrated turret past the 400 yd marker, it changes the scopes zero
frown.gif
(i think i got a dud). and the rear reticle zoom adjust/scope's zoom adjustment (not too sure what their goal was with this part) gets blurry about halfway through, but you don't even need that much zoom for a plinking 223, so no biggie in my opinion. and its built sort of awkward as you can see in the picture.
other than that, really cool scope.

sorry for the crappy pics.

thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed.

Re: my remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd and mini 14

can I ask a stupid question? I am actually in the process of acquiring a rifle just like yours, and I was wondering what kind of bipod that is and what size it is. Oh wait, crap. It pays to read first. I just saw what it is. What scope rings do you have or did I miss that too?

the rings are Burris xtr lows. and they will fit with a 50 mm objective lens scope, in case you were wondering.

Thanks. I am planning on using a scope with a 50mm objective lens. I want to use rings that are as low as I can get, but I also want to use at least a 20 MOA angled base. Does anyone know if a set of low rings (Weaver) and the angled base will work with a 50mm objective lens and butler creek caps?

I have a R700 using a Badger 20 moa base, Burris xtr lows and a PST with a 50 lens and it fits really with enough room to put a lens cap on.
I think you should be happy? Hope this helped?

A great looking set up. I have the sps tactical and am wondering what base (rail)you have on your 700?

Also, did you notice any differences in accuracy when you switched to the B&C stock?

Nice setup. I liked my krg knob a lot for the money.

I like the mini and review of it..
Great for 300yds off hand if i read your post correct.

What ammo were you using for that ?
As I am Mini fo teen po...

GIRdog

i never really tested it for accuracy with the houge stock. i bought the b&c right away because with the fore-arm flex on the houge, it would have worked better as a bow than a rifle stock. i sighted it in halfway with it, couldn't finish that day because the ammo i was using was absolutely terrible (2 inch groups), but now ill never know if that was the stock or the ammo.. or maybe me lol

the ammo i ive been using lately in my mini 14 is PMC bronze 55g fmj-bt. its cheap ammo, but surprisingly accurate for the price. about a dollar a box more expensive as the tul-ammo but a lot more accurate.

Thanks for the reply.

I had similar accuracy issues at first. I did the "dollar bill test" and didn't notice any contact between the barrel and the stock. I switched to FMK 168g and my groups immediately went to under 1" at 100 yards.
I will be using the SPS Tactical mostly for deer and elk hunting. I am not at the same shooting level as most people on this site, but from what I have read I doubt I will use this stock with a bipod. For now, I am saving my money to replace my rings and base. After that, I'll look at changing the stock.

Another issue I am working on is to find some hunting ammo that shoots as well as or even close to the FMK 168g. If anyone has some recommendations I would appreciate it.

I've tried Fusion, Remington core-lokt, Federal Game King 165g BTSP and so far have not been satisfied.

My next purchase will be Federal Nosler Partition 180g. Has any one tried this in the SPS Tactical?