• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my review of rem5r so far

allen200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
first off my first "precision" rifle of choice was a 20" rem5r. recommended from a friend who used one as duty rifle. out of the box i found the action to be very smooth but the trigger was awefully inconsistant. not the biggest fan of the stock as well, l.o.p. is short and the fat ass palm swell feels a bit awkward. my set up so far is nf rings and base , budget constrained scope to a weaver 4-12x44 tac.(actually pleased with performance thus far), timney straightshoe set at 2lbs, krg bolt handle ext., inexpensive bipod. i cannot describe the absolute joy this rifle is to shoot. 118 lrs were effectively (3of4shot) cutting matchsticks at 100yds. one hole groups achievable with hsm's w/168smk, she also liked handloaded 168 a amaxs. saving up for better glass, more comfortable stock, and soon to add muzzle brake. cant wait to stretch out to longer distances. i would absolutely give this platform a thumbs up.

Nice to know. I have one & the first thing my buddies told me was to replace the trigger. There is a good thread about rifle/optic/equipment choices on caprc.com & they use the 5r as an example. You might not pick the same stuff, but it is written out & also on a spread sheet. Take your choice! Hope it helps & keep us updated.

I agree. That's why I own 4. Great "out of the box rifle". My trigger is just fine, for me. I'm only 3 yrs. into it{ accuracy long range}, and they're my "fun gun". Shoots bug holes. One has a Jewell. May upgrade the others, when I feel the need. My shooting is still low, on the curve. For a "starter", it's a great gun.

Been more than happy with my 5-R. Been shooting it weekly for several years now and so far no appreciable throat erosion. Shoots best with 175 gr SMK's or Nosler Custom Comps although recently I started loading 170gr Lapua Lock Base with great results.

A great "out of the box" accurate rifle although I would like to see Remington choose another stock for it. I took my original stock off and replaced it with a B&C 2084 (A-5 style). The HS now resides under an SPS Tactical replacing the rubber stock. It seems like Remington likes lousy stocks :)

Before you replace the trigger, spend $7 (plus shipping) on a trigger spring from erniethegunsmith.com
The x-mark pro trigger on my AAC-SD is set right at 2 pounds now and I rather like the break.

Joe

^+1. I used the same kit. I figured if it didn't work I only wasted 7 bucks plus shipping. I think it was money well spent and I was able to put more money into stock (DBM).

out the box performance is truly awesome. i only had a few small lots of different factory ammo, now its time to start workin up some loads :)

Before you replace the trigger, spend $7 (plus shipping) on a trigger spring from erniethegunsmith.com
The x-mark pro trigger on my AAC-SD is set right at 2 pounds now and I rather like the break.

Joe

^+1. I used the same kit. I figured if it didn't work I only wasted 7 bucks plus shipping. I think it was money well spent and I was able to put more money into stock (DBM).

I've got one of those springs. Still don't care for the trigger. Even with the lighter pull, I hate the 'effing' screw at the top of the trigger arch.

As for the Timney Triggers, to me it's worth the $115 (sale price) as I prefer the wider trigger and the consistency.
As for my 5-R being an economical build? Hah! With the B&C stock, NF scope, Sinclair Tac Bipod, a new PTG Bolt with M-16 extractor, and Timney trigger, I've got more in the rifle than what I paid for one of my previous NEW cars. Good thing I can do all the work myself. :)

Mine shoots 1/2 MOA with 168gr remanufactured ammo. I haven't had a chance to work up a load yet. I have a jewel trigger on it, and also had a JP Ent AMCS chassis. I'm relatively new to long range shooting too, and I'm guessing it'd go sub MOA if I did a better job and had a load worked up.

Mine shoots 1/2 MOA with 168gr remanufactured ammo. I haven't had a chance to work up a load yet. I have a jewel trigger on it, and also had a JP Ent AMCS chassis. I'm relatively new to long range shooting too, and I'm guessing it'd go sub MOA if I did a better job and had a load worked up.

Sounds like a nice setup... Couldn't resist though, isn't 1/2 MOA already sub-MOA? Or were you trying to say if you did a better job and had a load worked up, that the rifle would be able to shoot sub 1/2 MOA? :)

Yup. That's what I meant. I have to assume it would get under 1/2 MOA if it had just the right load coupled with a little more skill and consistency on my end. How far under, who knows. I'm sure the limiting factor would be me and not the rifle.

Hey. Josh, here. Try 37.3 Viht-135, behind a 168 SMK. Mine likes 2.96 OAL. Check yours. That load, is a little slow, but shoots "Bug holes", out of mine.
out the box performance is truly awesome. i only had a few small lots of different factory ammo, now its time to start workin up some loads :)

I bought my 5R (24") four years ago to shoot until I could buy something better but I haven't felt the need. It lived up to the hype. I DuraCoated it, added a DBM, a Timney 510, and an enlarged bolt handle. Mine shoots 168s well, but not nearly as well as 175s. I've had great success with RL-15, IMR 4064 and VARGET but I'm shooting RL-15 almost exclusively now; 43.5 grs gives me consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA performance but it goes subsonic before it hits 1,000 yards. I shot a 1,000 yard F-Class match two weeks ago and bumped the load up to 44.2 grs, it was GTG at 1,000 and chronoed an average of 2630 at the muzzle.

43.5 grs gives me consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA performance but it goes subsonic before it hits 1,000 yards.

With the same model rifle I am now using 170 gr Lapua Lock Base with CFE223. More speed and great accuracy. Chrono's down but DOPE indicated the speed is in the "upper 2700 fps" range. Nice high BC for this bullet and it "fits" the 5-R nicely. I find that 2.830" OAL works well. I don't even bother trying to reach the throat with the generous freebore Remington uses.

Great reviews on this rifle. I have one coming I bought from a Hide member here last week. Fex Ex says it's supposed to arrive Wednesday! :D I have a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on order that should be here also. I read about that scope actually on a thread here about a stock. Looking forward to getting it. The member says it already has many of the things that people above have mentioned, so I'm excited to see how it does.