• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My review of the new Super Snipers - 10X HD & 3-9

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
With the positive reviews from Lowlight and a few others, I decided to give them a try. Ive had them now for a few months. Been running them quite a bit. Just got back from 4 days of pdog shooting and ran them alot there. I have the 10x HD on 223AI that is a M40A1 clone, the 3-9 FFP is on a SPR type AR15.

100_1062.jpg

The 10X HD.

First and foremost this is NOT anything like the older SS line. This is an impressive scope to say the least.

Glass/eye relief/eye box-
The HD glass is excellent. Pretty much the only way to put it.
Eye releif/eye box is excellent as well. The standard mildot reticle is nice & simple, and subtends as it should, although I wish it were a tick thinner.

Turrets/tracking-

The Mil adjusted turrets have a great feel and are a nice size.

Tracking and repeatability are on the money, and pass all box tests with ease.

Durability-

Being that Ive only had them a few months, its sorta hard to make a difinitive comment. With that said, I have not been at all nice to this scope. It has taken all the bumps and hits less a shift in zero. At this point, I have no worries about durability, but we shall see....

Final thought on the 10X HD-

IMO, were I in the market for a fixed 10x scope, I would look no further than this scope. IMO, at $800 this scope is a bargain.

The 3-9 FFP.

The first variable offering from the SS line. Like others have commented, and I agree- this scope is perfect for a SPR type rifle or even a hunting rifle. Admittedly, I still sorta question the usefullness of a 3-9 FFP, but it is what it is.

Glass/eye relief/eye box-

Im not sure if the FFP has the HD glass or not. At any rate, the glass is very good. No complaints in the eye relief and eye box depts. The reticle is a standard mildot that subtends as it should. To my eyes it seems that this reticle is a tick thinner that that in the 10x HD. I likey.

Turrets/tracking-

The turrets are a bit smaller in size than that of the 10X HD. Even still they and the clicks have a nice feel. I do prefer the larger ones found on the 10x HD.

Like the 10x HD, tracking and repeatability have not missed a beat.

Durability-

Same/ Same as the 10x HD.

IMO, the 3-9 FFP rates a serious thought if one is looking for a simple, lower-mid range mag scope. IMO, at $600 its a very good buy.

I cant really say I have any disapointments in them at all. They simply work and work well.

I would LOVE to see a 3-15 or 4-16 FFP mil/mil with the HD glass and side parralax adjustment..........

Re: The new Super Snipers - 10X HD & 3-9 FFP

I have had the 10x HD sitting around here for a couple months waiting on my seekins base and rings. Have looked though it MANY times and I would have to compare the clarity to that of my Zeiss Conquest 3-9. I just got an email from UPS the other day indicating my order is on the way. Can't wait to mount it and use the darn thing.

I have been considering the SS 3-9 to replace my SS 16x on my AR-15 but am waiting for the PST line to come out and see what people say about the overall package and see comment comparisons to the SS 3-9 FFP Mil/Mil (I was told the 3-9 does not have the HD glass)and the PST 3-10 FFP Mil/Mil (which I posted a question about the glass when I first heard about the PST line and was told its the same glass as the viper line. Although now I have seen posts saying that it is a higher grade glass but not Razor glass. we'll see!)

Couldnt agree with you more 7mmRM. I would love to see SS do some more scopes with the HD glass. I guess they are protoing a 1-4 FFP HD. Persaly no need for a 1-4 FFP, I just hope its the start to a larger line of SS scopes.

thanks for the post 7mmRM

Dantrom

I picked up a 3-9 SS at SWFA about three weeks ago, stuck it on top of my new Larue OBR and couldn't be more satisfied. This scope ended up be much more than I anticipated.

I "likey" the thin reticle as well.

I just purchesed one 15min ago going on my SPR. I hope all the hype is spot on
smile.gif

I've been using a 3-9 for about three months now on a MA1 NM and can't find a thing wrong with the scope. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a 3-9 scope. I would use it on a hunting rifle. Excellent value.

Confirm it is a standard Mildot? I have really come to like the reticle on the Falcon with the hash marks at the 1/2mil, makes it much easier for me to use quickly for ranging or when I just want to use hold over.

Looks nice, and the new glass has me curious. I have an older gen SS 10x, which was an excellent scope for $300. Was wondering whether SS fixed were going to offer mil/mil, and they delivered.

One other question: The SS 3-9x comes in at $600, and the 10x HD at $800. It's my understanding that the SS 3-9x offers better glass than their older fixed models, though I haven't had the opportinity to compare these first hand. Where is the additional $200 coming from on the new 10x HD? Is that better glass again than the 3-9x? Other improved features?

Thanks,

Nik

Re: My review of the new Super Snipers - 10X HD & 3-9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would LOVE to see a 3-15 or 4-16 FFP mil/mil with the HD glass and side parralax adjustment..........

</div></div>

+ 1

I have thought that since they first came out and if they were to come out with a higher variable (3-15, FFP, mil/mil), I would get one right away. As far as budget optics go, I see no need to spend $600 on the SS 3x9 when I can just get a used Falcon Menace (4-14, FFP, mil/mil) for around $300.

Thanks for the review.

I think you might be mistaken I think what everyone is saying about the SS is it is a a scope of a lot higher caliber then what the price suggests. Now I do not know, but I will find out next week when mine arrives. If some one has both please weigh in because I would of gone to the Falcon myself. Now what I do wonder is why SWFA decided to go with a 10x fixed, and a variable that was just a 3-9x I do like the mil/mil though. Seems to me like a lot of others that something a little more powerful maybe a 3-12, and a 6.5-20x would of captured alot of the Varmit world plus the Tac: world. the 3-12 would of been a great hunting scope also. along/w going on a SPR. I would of got one of those to. But hey I dont know shit, just wondering[/quote]

+ 1

I have thought that since they first came out and if they were to come out with a higher variable (3-15, FFP, mil/mil), I would get one right away. As far as budget optics go, <span style="font-weight: bold">I see no need to spend $600 on the SS 3x9 when I can just get a used Falcon Menace (4-14, FFP, mil/mil) for around $300. </span>
Thanks for the review. [/quote]

The truth is I'm just jealous I don't have one... yet.
smile.gif

But I really would love to see them do a 3-15x40, FFP, mil/mil, HD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhedg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think you might be mistaken I think what everyone is saying about the SS is it is a a scope of a lot higher caliber then what the price suggests. Now I do not know, but I will find out next week when mine arrives. If some one has both please weigh in because I would of gone to the Falcon myself. Now what I do wonder is why SWFA decided to go with a 10x fixed, and a variable that was just a 3-9x I do like the mil/mil though. Seems to me like a lot of others that something a little more powerful maybe a 3-12, and a 6.5-20x would of captured alot of the Varmit world plus the Tac: world. the 3-12 would of been a great hunting scope also. along/w going on a SPR. I would of got one of those to. But hey I dont know shit, just wondering</div></div>
[/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+ 1
</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as budget optics go, I see no need to spend $600 on the SS 3x9 when I can just get a used Falcon Menace (4-14, FFP, mil/mil) for around $300.
</div></div>

There is quite litterally no comparison between those two scopes.

Great review bro!

Cant wait to see if the rumors are true,and a 4-16 or 3-15 is coming soon......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as budget optics go, I see no need to spend $600 on the SS 3x9 when I can just get a used Falcon Menace (4-14, FFP, mil/mil) for around $300.
</div></div>

There is quite litterally no comparison between those two scopes. </div></div>

That is the hardest thing we are battling right now, people that have not seen one think it is simply a variable version of the original fixed powers and it is not. The new 3-9x42 and 10xHD share no common parts with the original fixed powers, in fact they are not even made in the same factories. The difference is day and night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The difference is day and night. </div></div>

And then some.

For the sub $500 price range the Falcons are what they are. A cheap alternative. They have a lot of features for the price and both of the ones I had boxed fine until you got in the upper elevation. The SS 3-9 and 10x HD are both good optics and a LOT of bang for the buck. I have been playing musical optics a lot lately. I am down to one Falcon on a 22LR trainer and it might get replaced in short order with the 10x HD. I like the features on the Falcon but the picky eye relief annoys the shit out of me. I have the 3-9 SS on a GG&G mount and swap it out on my Colt 6920 for Yote hunting.

For serious long range work I have upgraded to USO's across the board on my 308's and CR6724. Do the the SS optics compare to the USO SN3's I have ... no ... they don't but they also cost 33% of a USO. The glass is good, the turrents are solid, they are repeatable, they work. SWFA are good people and pleasant to deal with - HUGE factor in my book.

The SS 3-9 FFP is superior to any equally priced Leupold I have looked through. Because for the money you only really get into the Vx3's....correct me if I am wrong....and those scopes are still MOA turrets and SFP.

The 9x max works well out to the longer ranges and while 15x max would be helpfull, it is not nessecary to shoot 1100 yards.

Very capable for long range centerfire rifles....more than most think. And the Falcons are kinda funky looking, blocky "BSA Tacticool" look to me.

100_4244.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as budget optics go, I see no need to spend $600 on the SS 3x9 when I can just get a used Falcon Menace (4-14, FFP, mil/mil) for around $300.
</div></div>

There is quite litterally no comparison between those two scopes. </div></div>

That is the hardest thing we are battling right now, people that have not seen one think it is simply a variable version of the original fixed powers and it is not. The new 3-9x42 and 10xHD share no common parts with the original fixed powers, in fact they are not even made in the same factories. The difference is day and night. </div></div>
SWFA, Will you be making a 3-15 (or 4-16) mil/mil? NEVER MIND I JUST HAD TO READ A BIT MORE
smile.gif

It would be nice if they made one that was moa/mil for those of us who cannot afford the more expensive models.

Just put a SS 3-9x42 w/ sunshade and GG&G QD mount on my LMT MWS .308. I have very limited experience with it, but so far it presents as a much more expensive scope. I picked the SS because of reviews and the fact that my budget was not up $2K plus glass. I was going to use this setup until I could afford something better. I no longer feel that way. It stays where it is unless I someday decide for higher mag for longer engagements - then this scope will certainly find a home on one of the 5.56 ARs that fill the safes.

Best sub-$1K scope I've ever used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice if they made one that was moa/mil for those of us who cannot afford the more expensive models. </div></div>
Why not just moa/moa???