• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rimfire Tactical Trainer

Fast Ed

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
I found a used Marlin 2000 on GunBroker less sights. The original Marlin 2000's were single shots with a target stock that has an adjustable buttplate. There is a "biathalon kit" which is a replacement Anschutz rail with a cut out and release button for a standard Marlin rimfire magazine that turns the 2000 into a repeater. I had an extra biathalon kit laying around that I bought a while ago, so I bought the 2000 and decided to make it a "Tactical" trainer. I painted the stock, added the biathalon kit, changed the trigger out with a Jard, added the rimfire to Weaver adaptor for the scope rings and mounted the scope. I then found the Anschutz adaptor for my bipod and mounted that. The last items were an adjustable cheekpiece from Karsten's and the "tactical" bolt knob that I painted in the same rattle can camo as the stock. After removing the front and rear sight bases this is what I ended up with. What do you think? I haven't shot it yet so I can't post targets.

Marlin2000Tactical.jpg

For those of you that don't know what a stock Marlin 2000 looks like, here is a pic off of GunBroker.

Maarlin2000.jpg

Fast Ed

Re: My Rimfire Tactical Trainer

I like your rifle. I never liked the blue on the stock, so almost anything is an improvement. I bought my Marlin 2000 originally to teach boyscouts to shoot. It quickly became on of my favorite rifles. I bought the biathlon package when I first bought the rifle. The stock was designed to be shot from the offhand position but works great from all others. It came with a 50 shot test target consisting of one ragged hole. It took me a few years, but I ended up painting mine stock black. I have a scope on it at the moment but really enjoy shooting the rifle with the Williams aperture sights that come with it. It will maintain just under 1MOA at 100 yards using match ammunition. It shoots the cheaper stuff pretty well inside 50 yards. Using the scope I regularly shoot mine out past 200 yards. It is easily one of my top 5 favorite rifles to shoot. I have found it a great tool to improve my shooting skills. I am thinking of installing some flush cups on mine so that I can use my TIS bialthon sling with it. I added the bipod adapter and a Harris bipod to my rifle. I am sure you will get as much enjoyment out of your rifle as I have mine. I wish Marlin still made them. They are a great little rifle that has the feel and balance of a center fire rifle. If I could only keep one of my .22 rifles the Marlin 2000 would be my choice.

DSC04877-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the rifle your using to "train" with this in a biathon stock as well? Seems like A LOT of stock unless thats something you like</div></div>
The 2000 was made specifically for club level smallbore prone and smallbore 3P shooting competition, hence the stock design.

700308.jpg

This is the rifle that I am trying to "train" for. Although the stocks are not identical, the grip angle and adjustable cheekpiece are the same. The bolt knob is similar. The safety and mag release are similar. (This picture does not show the new bottom metal and AICS mag) Barrel length and balance point are almost identical. I could have carved up the Marlin 2000 stock to look more like the B&C on the Remington, but I didn't want to spend the time on something that was relatively insignificant to the overall goal which was to get close without spending my kid's college fund.

Fast Ed

Is close now that can see the other was thinkin more tac/hunting style stock.
Never was much for the target style stocks of that type but hey if it works go with it. Good luck figuring which ammo it likes is when it gets fun

Building them is fun, but it just doesn't match up with shooting them. I quickly dialed in the scope the other day when I took my son to the indoor range to shoot his new 10/22. My gun club has been shut down for almost 2 years and I am hoping they will get to re-open this spring. I need a place to shoot, bad.

Fast Ed