• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My SASSy Girl: RRA LAR-8 Range Report

KChen986

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2011
USA
Finally got my RRA LAR-8 out to the range.

DSC_0121.JPG

(Major Add ons: Magpul PRS--highly recommended, Millet TRS-1 4-16x50)

(Factory Config) (LAR-8, 20" HBAR, Free Float Half-Quad Rail)
0.5-quad.jpg

Couple of notes on the RRA LAR-8.

1.) It is the least expensive AR-10 in its class--a similarly equipped DPMS SASS will cost about $1,800. Mine cost approximately $1,400.

2.) Parts compatibility. One of the more frustrating things about the LAR-8 is the lack of parts compatibility. Installing the Magpul PRS required a stock extension as the charging handle doesn't clear the PRS cheekpiece. In addition, the LAR-8 won't accept BCM .308 charging handles or Magpul LR20 pmags. Due to this, I had to (a) place the scope further back for proper eye relief and LOP and (b) add a PRI big latch (just the latch, not the overpriced complete charging handle).

3.) Magazines. Uses FAL magazines, both metric and inch pattern. Although my FN Fal mags run fine in my LAR8, my LAR8 mags cause double feeds in my FAL. Guess LAR mags aren't backwards compatible.

4.) Gun isn't too heavy. It's about 9lbs. But once the scope and bipod are on, the gun gets substantially heavier.

5.) Gun has ambi-controls with the exception of the selector lever (bolt release, mag release are both ambidextrous). That's a nice touch.

6.) RRA two stage trigger is nice--reportedly set to break at 4.5lbs. However, in the past I have heard of RRA triggers breaking and become very light single stage triggers.

7.) Gas Block's clamped on. We'll see how that holds up. RRA also had a sling mount on the gas block--pretty stupid for a precision rifle. I punched that out.

On to the range report.
========================

I started with a 25-50-100 zero. Nothing really significant except that at 100 yards, I was chasing zero for a while due to the M80 ball I was shooting. Once I switched to Black Hills 168gr Match my groups tightened up significantly.

I used to think that video games about peoples' vision going bad when holding their breath was crap, but today, at 100 yards, when I held my breath for too long, my vision definitely became blurry. In addition, I was a little sore from exercising yesterday so it was hard to center the crosshairs at 100 yards. If there's any inaccuracy in this gun, it is definitely the shooter.

Anyway, here's a 5 shot group from 100 yards:

DSC_0146.JPG

Here's a 3 shot using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr:

DSC_0147.JPG

A lot of stringing came from the shooter. Once I sand-bagged the stock, my groups started sliding horizontally:

DSC_0148.JPG

Center group was with 175gr FGMM. Top left BH 168 Match, bottom left 168gr FGMM, bottom right the same, and top right 175gr FGMM.

The gun mostly stayed around 1 MOA, but I managed to wrangle out some ~.6 MOA groups center to center. I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to precision shooting. Hoping to return with some clover-leafed shot patterns the next time around. Gonna have to buy more precision ammo ($75 shipped for 3 boxes [60rds] of M118LR--yikes!).

So what do you guys think, is this a 800M/1000M capable rifle?

Re: My SASSy Girl: RRA LAR-8 Range Report

I love the look of your LAR 8. I have the standard A2 stock and a 20" barrel. I get good accuracy with cheap ammo and amazing accuracy with with the federal match. It's an excellent weapon for the money.

Rock River guarantees the accuracy of my LAR at 1 MOA. Some of the LAR are only guaranteed at 1 1/2 MOA. Check on the RR site to see the MOA for your gun. I think that will make a difference at longer distances, especially at 1,000 yards.

Is it a 800/1,000M capable weapon? I purchased my LAR to shoot between 100 and 300 yards. But the accuracy is so impressive, I will be testing it to 500 yards hopefully this month. Eventually I will test its accuracy at 1,000 yards.

I personally do not like to push the .308 out that far. In my opinion there are better calibers. But for a little fun it's OK.

Have fun and enjoy your LAR.

Nice review. It is hard to argue that RRA is not one of the best value large frame ARs out there.

I am tempted to try one out, but I am waiting until they release the tools to remove the barrel nut. I want to be able to thread the stainless barrel.

Saw some of these at the funshow this weekend--they look pretty cool. Big rifle--looked solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the look of your LAR 8. I have the standard A2 stock and a 20" barrel. I get good accuracy with cheap ammo and amazing accuracy with with the federal match. It's an excellent weapon for the money.

Rock River guarantees the accuracy of my LAR at 1 MOA. Some of the LAR are only guaranteed at 1 1/2 MOA. Check on the RR site to see the MOA for your gun. I think that will make a difference at longer distances, especially at 1,000 yards.

Is it a 800/1,000M capable weapon? I purchased my LAR to shoot between 100 and 300 yards. But the accuracy is so impressive, I will be testing it to 500 yards hopefully this month. Eventually I will test its accuracy at 1,000 yards.

I personally do not like to push the .308 out that far. In my opinion there are better calibers. But for a little fun it's OK.

Have fun and enjoy your LAR. </div></div>

If you look at the pattern, all of their 20"+ 308 models are guaranteed 1 MOA. All of the 16" 308 models are 1.5 MOA. Guess the extra length helps.

What is the LOP on your rifle with the extension and the MagPul stock? And is that the Burris scope mount you are using?

Shazam!

Tighter group today. About 1/2 MOA.

DSC_0009.JPG

Also put a Leupold MK4 on the rifle.

DSC_0222.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the look of your LAR 8. I have the standard A2 stock and a 20" barrel. I get good accuracy with cheap ammo and amazing accuracy with with the federal match. It's an excellent weapon for the money.

If you look at the pattern, all of their 20"+ 308 models are guaranteed 1 MOA. All of the 16" 308 models are 1.5 MOA. Guess the extra length helps.</div></div>

I called RRA and asked about this, and was told they set the guarantee at 1.5MOA for the 16" because the excessive muzzle blast has a tendency to push the bullet around as it exits the muzzle... I don't buy it, but that is their claim.

Both of my 16" LAR-8's shot just under 1MOA, but I could never get them to run right. I sold the third replacement without testing it.

Op, That is a very nice rifle, I'm glad you're getting good results with it---I really wish mine would have run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the look of your LAR 8. I have the standard A2 stock and a 20" barrel. I get good accuracy with cheap ammo and amazing accuracy with with the federal match. It's an excellent weapon for the money.

If you look at the pattern, all of their 20"+ 308 models are guaranteed 1 MOA. All of the 16" 308 models are 1.5 MOA. Guess the extra length helps.</div></div>

I called RRA and asked about this, and was told they set the guarantee at 1.5MOA for the 16" because the excessive muzzle blast has a tendency to push the bullet around as it exits the muzzle... I don't buy it, but that is their claim.

Both of my 16" LAR-8's shot just under 1MOA, but I could never get them to run right. I sold the third replacement without testing it.

Op, That is a very nice rifle, I'm glad you're getting good results with it---I really wish mine would have run. </div></div>

I'm sure the 16 is as capable as the 20 but better safe than sorry, right? Saves them from dealing with a lotta angry phone calls.

Nice configuration and modications. Is that a red-dot you have on top of your other scope? Can you shoot comfortably aiming with the red-dot or it is too high? The reason I ask is because I have a trijicon ACOG/RMR combo, but find that the RMR is just too high for my personal taste. Just curious. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice configuration and modications. Is that a red-dot you have on top of your other scope? Can you shoot comfortably aiming with the red-dot or it is too high? The reason I ask is because I have a trijicon ACOG/RMR combo, but find that the RMR is just too high for my personal taste. Just curious. Thanks. </div></div>

That's actually the exact reason I have that set up. I have shot and trained a lot with my ACOG/Docter combo and shooting an RDS that high up isn't uncomfortable for me (especially with a saddle stock). It works for me, but everybody's different.
smile.gif

m217135872.jpg

Nice looking LAR-8! I just shot my buddy's 16" this past weekend. I have to say I was impressed with it's accuracy. He was easily shooting 1-1.5 MOA with 168gr PRVI Match. He said his had some FTF's and FTE's in the first couple hundred rounds, but now it runs flawlessly.

That is pretty darn good shooting for any price rifle, much less a $1300 one. congrats!

I am interested in the installation of the Magpul PRS on your rifle. I have the RRA LAR8 26" SS Bull Barrel model. I ordered the 1" buttstock extender from Brownells and have read conflicting reports of "the item did not fit" or "you need a vented screw to allow the buffer on the LAR8 to work as designed". Can you tell me how it went on your rifle and where the vented screw is and if you found or even needed a replacement screw for your rifle. Thanks in advance.

The Black Hills 175 match ammo will get you really good results. As will newer M118LR. They make a great rifle.

You can get 800 all day with that. I regularly shoot to 800+ with a 16" 308. Nice rig and nice groups. Now shoot the challenge.

If they took Pmags, I'd probably have one. Great value proposition except for the mags (which matters to me due to already having a large stock for 3 other sr25 pattern guns).

You can get 800 all day with that. I regularly shoot to 800+ with a 16" 308. Nice rig and nice groups. Now shoot the challenge.

If they took Pmags, I'd probably have one. Great value proposition except for the mags (which matters to me due to already having a large stock for 3 other sr25 pattern guns).

Yes, agreed. I own two FALs, so the magazines weren't really an issue for me. They're not expensive either, at something around $15-20 a pop. But cross compatibility with other SR-25 pattern accessories would have been great.

I have made hits on a 4" pie plate at 800m, so Center of Mass shots on a IPSC plate at 800m is fairly repeatable. I think what needs to be improved now is me, the shooter, as I have a hard time accurately mil-ranging targets.

The machine screw that holds my A2 stock onto my LAR8 came with a "vented" screw from Rock River. There is a hole through the middle of the screw measuring .080 (eighty thousands). This hole is to allow water or excess oil to be ejected from the buffer tube to prevent a hydraulic lock in the tube and damage to your rifle. The machine screw supplied with the PRS from Magpul is also vented and the PRS instructions specifically state that only the supplied screw should be used to prevent possible operating problems with the rifle. The screws supplied with the DPMS 1" extender are NOT vented.

I solved the problem by having a machine shop drill the required hole. 60+ rounds later and no problems. I started a thread on the whole thing. "LAR8 + magpul PRS mystery revealed"

My butt-stock extension kit came with two screws, one was too long, but another fit perfectly. It should be included. I have no idea what a 'vented screw' is.

This should be the right kit: AR-15 BUTTSTOCK EXTENDER | Brownells