• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes My scope is coming Friday! How to mount?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    My vortex PST is coming on Friday, pretty psyched. I'm wondering what the best way to mount it is. I've mounted dozens of hunting optics, but those were never intended to be shot at 500+. I have a AD Recon mount waiting for it. I've seen the plumb bob technique and the deck of cards technique. Which one is "more correct"? Plumb bob technique ensures the reticle is square, but it can rotate when torquing. Deck technique will keep scope level when tightening, but doesn't mean the reticle is squared.

One last question, I know with 4 screw patterned rings you tighten in a cross pattern, but how do you correctly torque on an 8 screw pattern?

Thanks!

The best way I've found to mount an optic is to print a target with a .25 inch square grid. Take the target and mount it on something using a level on the top of the paper to make sure the paper is level. Then put the rifle in a vise with the base and rings already mounted. I use Leupold Mark 4 rings and base. At this point the base screws should already be torqued to the rifle. I torque them to 25 inch pounds. The rings should be torqued to the base. I torque the ring screws to 65 inch pounds. The scope should be sitting in the rings with the screws started but loose enough to turn the scope. You should have your eye relief set at your preference. Have the rifle set up to where you can look through the scope and see the target. Then using two levels, put one level on the base and turn the rifle until your base is level. The top of your turret on your scope should be level with your horizontal line in your scope. Put your second level on the top of your scope turret and turn your scope in the rings until your turret level is level with your base level.

Now your scope should be truly level. To verify this look through your scope at the target and make sure your horizontal and vertical lines in the scope line up with the ones on the target. If they do tighten the screws on the rings. I torque mine to 28 inch pounds. I have never dealt with an 8 screw ring but I would tighten the two front and two rear screws in a chris cross manner as on a 4 screw set up then to the same on the inner 4 screws.

I have a Spuhr and it comes with a tool that simulates the "deck of cards" technique. I found I was able to get the scope more level using the "plumb bob" technique.

For the 8 bolts, I would just snug 4 like you would with the 4-bolt technique, then snug the other 4 the same way. Then tighten how you would using the 4 bolt technique, then tighten the other 4. Make sure to use a torque wrench and tighten to the max suggested spec.

With the Recon mount you tighten all the bottom screws first to 20-25 in/lbs. Then the same on the top screws.