• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors My Sig229 vs HKP30L Use Conclusions

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, so I ended my 3 weeks blitz of classes at Rifles Only with a few conclusions about my HK P30L as compared specifically to my Sig229. I picked up the HK P30L about a month ago and brought it down with me so I could get a decent volume of rounds through it.

My initial thoughts on the piece was it was comfortable to hold and pointed very well. Accuracy seemed very good and liked the way it was performing during my early outings. Before coming down to TX I put the flat sides on and the short back strap, so it was set up pretty small for me.

After using more I found, the dots on the sights to be too big and distracted me a bit. I notice a pretty good "slip" in the grips as if the back strap and panels need a little more securing as the top moved out of place a bit and would flex in your hand. Also, on Sunday I shot it in the middle of the day and noticed my hand would slip as I wasn't getting any grip with it especially in the high heat. After every shot my hands would have to be repositioned. I think I need to experiment with the side panels and back strap to make it more supporting when fired.

Finally, I was distressed when I say the chip taken out of the pic rail on the bottom, how it happened I don't know, but having a chip in the polymer is a bad sign if you ask me.

We also noted the trigger has a heavy curve to it, which is a bit much if you ask me, and the trigger has too many different pull weights so consistency is an issue. We also felt the reset was a bit long.

Complete clunker, not really, but it definitely needs work to see how it can be made to perform better. One of things I like about my Glock is the fact I can change out things that need to be in order to make it perfect for me, this way I don't have to adapt it as much as making it adapt to me. The HK needs work in this department.

Now my Sig229, flawless, and while I initially thought I was against the thicker body and grip, with the tall slide, I found my comfort and accuracy to this point with the Sig is where it has become an extension of my hand and hammers away. During the last class I was able to put shots in a 3" Shoot N C from 25 yards from basically a stock gun. It's a great tool and has definitely become my go to piece. The Sig being Stainless is also proving to be more durable, especially when compared to the chipped polymer of the HK.

So, while I am not giving up right away on the HK, I have to say given the choice as asked in another thread I am gonna stick with my initial recommendation that the Sig is the way to go. Hk is still a bit short in many areas and this is why I sent my USPc to the desk drawer and basically took it out of use for anything but a house piece.

As a side note, I also bought a couple of Black Ops IWB holsters from Rocky @ Pure Custom Holsters and not only did he have the Sig229 in stock along with the Glock19 I am finding they are comfortable to wear, and work both as in the waist band and over holsters. They are nicely done with no wait time, all good stuff.

Next up, the Sig vs my Glock 19.

Re: My Sig229 vs HKP30L Use Conclusions

Eventhough this has the potential of being a great comparison like your optics trials; please don't do it! G19's are hard to get as is!
    grin.gif

Great read. I would be interested in seeing pics of the "chip" in the rail. Is it indeed small or obtrusive? I own glock and sig and was thinking about an HK but think I will stay clear. Thanks.

The HK is in TX and I can't get a picture for another 2 weeks, give or take a day.

the chip on the outside edge of the last rail underneath on one side. It's about an 1/8" piece that broke off across the edge. Doesn't effect anything physically, you can still mount something there, its actually the last rail closest to the trigger guard so it doesn't really matter except to say it maybe a problem across the board for this frame.

This mirrored my experience with a P229 and HK P200SK, both in 40S&W.

I purchased the HK with the intent of carrying it, and was immediately turned off by the trigger. During shooting, I found the length of travel was excessive, and the curve of the trigger didn't fit well with my hand.

The Sig's trigger seemed to break several mm's before the HK, and had a shorter reset (although both are much longer than a Glock). The Sig was also easier to present, and more ergonomically friendly despite being taller and thicker.

I wound up selling the HK, and use the P229 as a duty weapon for Reserve LE. It should be noted I purchased the Sig in 1996, and haven't performed a single modification.

All that said, I think the Sig is too thick for carry in an IWB holster, and prefer a compact 1911 as a CCW.

Both were good pistols, and neither had malfunctions worth noting. The HK just wasn’t for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goose316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own glock and sig and was thinking about an HK but think I will stay clear. Thanks. </div></div>

One person's opinion should not scare you off of a gun. That is retarded. Go shoot them. See if you like them. Maybe he got a bad one. It happens.

I've used HKs for years, never had a problem with them at all. I also own two Sigs, a 229 and a 2340. They're decent, but they arent the end all be all to pistols. Of the three HKs that I own, I'd take any of them over my 229.

That being said, I havent gotten to use the model that Frank was shooting. Maybe it's a piece of shit. But, after the 11 years of flawless HK use I've had, I'd be willing to bet it was either personal preference to the feeling of the gun, or he got a lemon. Back to my original point, writing off a type of weapon because of one person's experience is...shortsighted at best. Go experience for yourself and be the judge.

Good write-up. I have found that putting some serious time behind a gun during some courses or other training is the best way for me to get a read on how much I like a gun.

I have had nothing but good luck with my HKs, but I have never taken them through a course (only take 1911s) so it wold be interesting to see how well I liked them with a lot of trigger time in a short amount of time.

awesome write up. Thanks!

I find all reviews helpful and you seem to have a knack for it. Very odd to see no photography though. I also seem to like reviews better if I agree with them completely.

Although one of my best friends works at HK, I prefer the slightly larger P226 to just about anything in terms of pure reliability. I purchased it at a Gun Show while training at Benning in 1991 and have pushed it hard, including 2500 rounds in a five-day course. No stoppages. Of course there is at least one person out there that has had the exact opposite experience...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goose316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own glock and sig and was thinking about an HK but think I will stay clear. Thanks. </div></div>

One person's opinion should not scare you off of a gun. That is retarded. Go shoot them. See if you like them. Maybe he got a bad one. It happens.</div></div>
    +1
    The man is sharing his experience and opinion...it's not gospel truth, just his $0.02

I hear people piss and moan about guns that run like fucking racehorses for me.

It's an opinion...and opinions are like a**holes...everyones got one, so feel 'em out yourself and see what works for YOU.

Don't be a sheeple.

I havent owned many firearms, but as far as pistols...I have purchased 2 HKs a USP 40V1 and 45LEM, a Ruger P90 and a P89, a Springfield 1911 GI, and a Walther P99 QA. Needless to say the ones did not cu it are gone. The 1911 and the P99. The 1911 had serious extraction issues. I tried all the tricks for it, apparently its an ongoing issue and I didnt think all the time wasted in fixing it would be worth it. The p99 had issues chambering hollowpoints. The other 4, never a problem. I had several 100% qualifications with the HKs and the Rugers are tack drivers. It all depends on the person.

I've had a USP Compact .45 Tactical, a USP .45 Tactical, a USP .45, and 2 different HK45 - I loved them for their 3/4 ton heavy duty nature. However, I was accustomed to Glocks - and shooting the HKs sucked for me. Too big, too much muzzle flip, too high a bore axis, and too slow in the cycling. Despite my appreciation for the HK, all I have now are Glocks and one S&W M&P .45 - which made a .45 feel very much like a Glock 9! Never shot a P30 and probably won't spend the money to try it. Did have a SIG 220 once and liked the heck out of it - still an aweful high bore axis, though.

I'll have an update, with some pictures for everyone. I brought down my other back-straps and side panels and changed up the grip a bit so I can give it another go. Shot it today with some decent accuracy result and a lot less slip, so potentially setting it up for me with a smaller grip was the wrong direction.

It was noted my finger falls in a much better place with the HK, but maintaining the grip is still a bit of an issue, but I am working with it.

Accuracy was pretty darn nice though, I will say that, when I wasn't slipping or going too fast to maintain my accuracy, I honestly couldn't have asked for it too shoot any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> smaller grip </div></div>

Ya think?