• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns My Sistema 1911 project - need advise on a barrel

Layton

Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Texas Coast
I have a 1958 Sistema that I'm going through for my wife learning along the way and am looking for a really nice barrel for it. As I know almost nothing about 1911 barrels what/who's would be a good barrel to go with? Nothing's wrong with the original barrel, I'm gonna just put it in the safe and leave it alone for my grandson to play with when it's time. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards,
Layton

Last edited:
Personally for your first install I'd go with a Kart for $135. Hard to beat the price and quality. They also make an easy-fit barrel for about 165 which I haven't used.

The reasons for this are the Cistema colts are pre series 70s slide which are not as hard. They can go for awhile but don't expect to use it as a high round count gun without a problem. Second, you can add life so to speak to the gun with the addition of a hard fit barrel which will close up tolerances reducing battering during the normal firing cycle. This is were the longevity will come in over the factory fit barrel.

Note: This is an oversized gunsmith fit barrel. It requires hood length/width fitting, radial lug fitting, barrel lug fitting, link selection, clearancing/timing checks and finish reaming. Also note that a new front sight will have to be installed and regulated for poa/poi. This would be a good time to upgrade the sights to dovetails and get something that you can see.

PM sent.

Thanks Greg! I'll give you a shout a little later to discuss. I really appreciate your input!

L