• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Smith M21

SmithM21

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
Back in the late 80s I sent Clint Fowler my New Smith Ent. forged receiver and a box full of USGI M14 parts that were all made by Springfield US Armory. The bolt was a TRW. Clint built me a double lugged M21 for with a heavy SS Krieger Barrel and a McMillan Kevlar Stock.

I mounted a Leatherwood ARTII Scope on it. I also own an original Leatherwood ARTel Scope with a case that was brought back from VN by a GB who used it during 2 tours in VN. Mr Leatherwood asked me for pictures of my ARTel Scope and he got back to me in an email and told me that I indeed had the Real McCoy of VN Sniper Scopes.

Here are a few pictures of my M21 with my OSS HX-QD 762 Ti Suppressor.

I really enjoy shooting the M14 and the M1 Garand. My range in New Holland Pa goes out to 700 yards. I would like to find a range that goes out to 1000 yards. Clint told me he fired my M21 out to 1000 yards and it was dead on. I know it hits the plates at 700 yards.

Last edited:
Typo above red castle rifle range i meant to say its outside sandsprings oklahoma; thats about 20 miles from tulsa okla

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Terry,

Thank You for the Info but I am in SE Pa. and OK is just a little too far for me.

Have a Great Day!

Reactions: Nonad terry
How is the suppressor attached? Threaded front sight piece with a removable flash hider?

Out of curiosity, did you have any mods done to the gas system for the suppressor? Also curious about level of gas blow-back you get, relatively speaking.
(I'd like to suppress one of my M1As, but I don't have a special gas piston like the military used on some of their rifles, which had a very small gas port diameter).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did you have any mods done to the gas system for the suppressor? Also curious about level of gas blow-back you get, relatively speaking.
(I'd like to suppress one of my M1As, but I don't have a special gas piston like the military used on some of their, which had a very small gas port diameter).
I suppressed an m1a scout squad, used a delta p adapter and a schuster? Adjustable gas plug. Still got to eat a lot of gas. Was fun tho

I bought a slightly used SEI adapter with a NM Front Site mounted on from a SR Member in the M14 Forums. Then I mounted my OSS Quick Mount to the SEI adapter.

I bought a slightly used SEI adapter with a NM Front Site mounted on from a SR Member in the M14 Forums. Then I mounted my OSS Quick Mount to the SEI adapter.
Just make sure everything is tight and in-line. My first SE adapter wasn’t true and got the end cap on my can, Switched to a Delta P and didn’t have anymore issues.

Since you’re a member of new holland, you’re at least on the same part of country as Peacemaker. I’d be happy to take you to their 1000 yard range. Shoot me a PM.

I no longer have it, but here is my M25:

Attachments

• DF81A7E8-4378-4807-858C-E105A0ED79B6.jpeg
    DF81A7E8-4378-4807-858C-E105A0ED79B6.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 71

Okay, I wasn't sure if you also used a Schuster adjustable gas plug and had it opened all the way up to reduce gas blow-back. That is what I was thinking since the special gas piston's are very hard to find.

I really enjoy shooting the M14 and the M1 Garand. My range in New Holland Pa goes out to 700 yards. I would like to find a range that goes out to 1000 yards

SE PA is a bit of drive, but the Quantico Shooting Club (in Quantico VA) puts on a twice-annual vintage precision rifle match where you can have some informal competition at 300, 600 yards on Saturday, and 800 and 1000 yards on Sunday. The April 2020 match was canceled this year due to COVID-19, but with any luck perhaps, they will have the match in late Sept or perhaps October. I took my M21 replica to the Saturday match in 2018 and took a few pics at the 300 and 600 yard berm. (attached). I didn't shoot as well as I'd like, but I had fun and the trajectory markings on the ART II scope at '3' and '6' were pretty close.

Something to consider if you don't mind the drive. I have a shooting buddy in PA who makes the drive twice per year for this fun match. Just an fyi to consider, but it helps to have your dope dialed in - or known - for 800 and 1000 yards. One day I might try an M1A at 800 and 1000 yards, but so far I've been using a bolt action for that match.

Attachments

• M21 replia_300yrds_2018.JPG
    M21 replia_300yrds_2018.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 64
  • M21 replica_600yds_Quantico_092018.JPG
    M21 replica_600yds_Quantico_092018.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 66
  • M21_left_profile_6.jpg
    M21_left_profile_6.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Randon, I don't think I will need a Schuster Plug with this OSS Suppressor. The design of the OSS suppressor keeps the back flow of gasses to a minimum.

I will take a look at that shoot for the near future.

I see you have an ARTII. What Elevation Cam do you have? Mine is for the 168 grain NM Round using the Sierra Match King bullet. I have about 1500 Match Kings that I need to load up. I have only been shooting my Smith and M1A with LC & IMI military ammunition. I need to develop a load for my 168 Match Kings to take full advantage of my Elevation Cam.

Here is a good video on the OSS design:

Since you’re a member of new holland, you’re at least on the same part of country as Peacemaker. I’d be happy to take you to their 1000 yard range. Shoot me a PM.

I no longer have it, but here is my M25:
Thanks Lennyo,

I will send u a PM with my contact info.

Editors of Leatherneck magazine scoffed at the idea Marines shot the M14 out to 1000 yards.

A member had made a letter post from an Army dude on inquiring if Marines used the rifle at that distance after hearing a Marine "brag" about it at some service org.

Editors response was "No. 500 yards".

Next edition came out and bunch of letters were saying no 1000 yards was commonly practiced.

Editor dug in, doubled down and said they must have been mistaken 500 yards only.

Of course editor is a female Colonel, probably an Air Winger.

All the service publications seem to have their share of stupidity and Communist propaganda. Only worth reading historical stuff from member writers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Digressing somewhat, but here's an M1A at an informal match held by the Quantico Shooting Club being used at 1,000 yards with iron sights, by a former Marine that I shot with back in 2014. My hat is off to Rob for shooting it like that at 1k yds, and I really wish my eyesight was as still as good as his...oh well.
You can't see the rear aperture, but it's jacked way up for that distance. Also shown is a front sight that I have that came off an old USMC long-range M14.
My understanding from a former rifle team member is this customized front sight was used for a specific 1,000 yard match. It's 0.031 thin, and very low...

Attachments

• M1A_1000yds_Quantico_09072014.jpg
    M1A_1000yds_Quantico_09072014.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 78
  • standard-vs-long-range_M14_ft_sight.jpg
    standard-vs-long-range_M14_ft_sight.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 93
Hello,
Great looking rifle.
I am from SE PA too. Lucky you get to shoot up to 700 at New Holland, best I got is 200 yards near where I live but I am grateful. Its funny how I came across this post because I've just been thinking about how to turn my Springfield M1A into 1000 yard rifle plus thinking about purchasing OSS suppressor.
So what is your opinion on OSS supressor ? I have other can but have not tried yet on my m1a since I needed to buy new adapter and horror story about gas blowing back to your face and all. By the way, do you happen to know any good gunsmith around with good amount of knowledge on m1a?
Thanks

Back in the late 80s I sent Clint Fowler my New Smith Ent. forged receiver and a box full of USGI M14 parts that were all made by Springfield US Armory. The bolt was a TRW. Clint built me a double lugged M21 for with a heavy SS Krieger Barrel and a McMillan Kevlar Stock.

I mounted a Leatherwood ARTII Scope on it. I also own an original Leatherwood ARTel Scope with a case that was brought back from VN by a GB who used it during 2 tours in VN. Mr Leatherwood asked me for pictures of my ARTel Scope and he got back to me in an email and told me that I indeed had the Real McCoy of VN Sniper Scopes.

I really enjoy shooting the M14 and the M1 Garand. My range in New Holland Pa goes out to 700 yards. I would like to find a range that goes out to 1000 yards. Clint told me he fired my M21 out to 1000 yards and it was dead on. I know it hits the plates at 700 yards.

How is gas blow back with that suppressor?

Reactions: sandwarrior

Beautiful!