• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My son put on a class.

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
We got to go out shooting a couple days ago and we had a blast.

When we pulled up there was a couple sighting there hunting rifles in so we asked if we could shoot with them and they agreed. We set up at 100yds and they were surprised that my 9yo was able to shoot that far. Nothing to worry about we started shooting our 10-22's until his scope started acting up. I couldn't get enough elevation to reach the middle of his target so all his rounds were landing at 6 o'clock at the edge of the paper. This went on for about 3-4magazines with a cease fire between each to check the paper. Since he is starting to get a little disappointed in this whole situation he ask to shoot my 17HMR, Sako Quad with a 2-7x28 scope. Of course it is ok. Well he ended up getting two shots in before we ceased again. Both of them landed in the bullseye.

After seeing all of this one of the other guys wanted to bet with him. They ended up betting $.50 a shot if he could hit the toy he set up. Well Three shots in a row into Diego's head, or Manny's not sure who it is, and he was up $1.50. Next came out the barbie doll. The new wager was if he could hit it 3 times in a row he would buy him a banana split. So by this time there was a 3 or 4 guys watching him, but he didn't feel the pressure and landed the 3 shots. Two into the chest and feeling cocky on the last one, he called for a head shot. Boom, shot her head off.

Talk about being proud, me not him. All he cared about was going for ice cream.

3E681670-77E9-45D0-A0E5-CE258D095DAD-4322-00000393D3B107F3.jpg

D2488155-9768-47D1-983B-0AE95B6C4704-4322-00000393DE5133DD.jpg

Re: My son put on a class.

Just make it fun and and they will love it. I take my grandaughter regularly and she is a good shot at 10. Surprises a lot of people. Kudos to you and your son.

Sounds like great fun!
Another idea - try shooting oreo cookies - its pretty fun as well, and instant feedback for kids (plus less mess to clean up). Put a pin through the middle to keep em attached to the target

Bet the girl's don't really like shooting Barbie though...

I'll have to try the ore's. I usually have a bunch of hangers for clay pigeons. But we were out that day, time to restock.

We usually just set shotgun shells up at 25yds and move back 5yds every time we go 10 for 10. That makes more of a game for us.

Love stories like this...youngsters are capable of a lot more than we often give them credit for.
I have a 'cute' story that goes back about 3 years. My son was 7 at the time. He had received a Red Ryder for Christmas (yes...after watching 'A Christmas Story'). The deal was he'd learn on this till he was 8, then we'd graduate to rimfires.
Anyhoo, one day we were out shooting. He had some pop cans set up at about 25', and I had some set up at 30yds (I was shooting a pellet gun).
He and his brother really wanted to go to a toy store.
They get way too many toys...yup I spoil them rotten...so I told them...no toy store unless you can hit the can dad is shooting at.
A pop can at 30yds with a Red Ryder...I knew I was pretty safe.
Well...he takes aim, the barrel is swaying to and fro and he shoots...
And the pop can dances about 6" in the air.
Damn...between him and his brother it cost me $25 at the toy store ;-)

Great stories. Love seeing the little kids at the range adn love taking mine with me. Gotta show them how fun it can be so the sport continues to grow.