• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My son's first buck.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
We made it out to the stand around 3pm. This guy showed up about 1645. It was his first deer and he wanted to shoot one with horns. He was really excited and I am too.

The rifle is a carbine in .223 with a Vortex Viper 2-7x32. It was his Christmas present (early) from his mom and me. I loaded up some 64 grain Winchester Power Points and they proved to be good medicine. It was really close, 30 yards, and was looking our way, nervously feeding. He kept his cool, moved real slow, got in position and squeezed off a well aimed shot. One shot, high lung, dropped it in it's tracks.

Pics.

005.jpg

004.jpg

Re: My son's first buck.

Congatulate him from us! I can't wait until my little girl is old enough to deer hunt with her old man. Hopefully she will be as excited as he is. You must be proud.

tell your son congrats. I wish I could use my AR - 223 in Virginia but it is against the law. I use a 6.8mm for hunting now.

Congrats!!! My first buck was a spike and could't have been happier. Congrats again to the both of you.

Thanks guys. He's excited and now his big sister wants to take one.

I was really on the fence with regard to .223. I studied it for a good while and decided that with a good bullet, it would be more than adequate. But I was not prepared with how this deer reacted.

It kinda reminded me of how squirrels react when shot with a .22 through the body. Sometimes they don't know they are dead and get in a hole because no shock was imparted. Just not enough squirrel there to open up the bullet. But when I shoot them with my air gun at a power level that is ~1/4 that of a .22 long rifle, they are dead right there because of the soft pellet and they feel the whole 30fpe.

This deer just dropped. I'm going to chrony those power points today and see what they're doing velocity wise. I took the deer to the processor but from what I could tell there was an exit wound the size of a quarter. I was impressed.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Very cool, Congrats to you and the lil buck blaster!
Was going to ask if it exited, that 64gr is supposed to be a fairly tough bullet let us know what else you find out on the load.

Looks like a good hunt for sure...nice Christmas present too!

Excellent job. My boys first was with an AR as well.
Love the smile in the second pic. I think he's hooked!

Trilogymac