• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My TR is back from Savage!

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
About 3in into the rifeling there is a smooth spot that goes all the way around where there is no rifeling at all for about 1/2in and 5 very tight spots in the bore and 3 spots where there it's no resistance when cleaning. Oh it also was shooting 5in groups at 50yds. This is brand new and the dealer sent it back for me today

Re: My TR is on it's way back to savage

your not the first to have that problem. there was another guy here a around a year ago that had the same thing from the muzzle in - no rifling.

I was really looking hard at one of these for a cheap trainer with a nice vertical grip and I just keep hearing more bad things....

however in the defense of savage they did spit out a whole lotta TR's - ratio wise the "rejects" tht got through are minimal, and the chances of getting a bad one are pretty slim.

same thing goes for most of the new marlin XT's, mossbergs, etc. you usually hear about the bad more often than the good (or at least the bad stories are the ones that stick out more).

IMO these companies give more attention to the centerfire side of the house, which allows a few bad apples out on the rimfire side. this is probably the biggest reason why anschutz and other "upper shelf" rimfires are sooooo good.....they put a great deal of attention to their rimfires.

i don't mean to knock savage as i am a fan of theirs, but not much has changed with the foundation of their receivers / bolts in the last 15 years other than the E receiver - but even the E receiver is just a longer version of that 15 year old receiver. to accomodate .22 mag and .17 hmr.

let's just hope that savage "makes good" on replacing it and that their customer service hasn't gone the route of so many other companies.

I'd be willing to bet Savage sends the rifle back to the OP with a new barrel and a test target...

Mine is probably going to get shipped off this weekend too, unfortunately.

That sucks.what was wrong with yours. Good thing I'm kept busy going to look at a school and getting all that stuff together for the next week or so

Mine went from shooting pretty great, to stringing from the upper left to the lower right of a target, and once I got that problem taken care of, the overall accuracy went to hell. I've tried almost everything I can think of, but I'm not willing to dump more money into it right now, so it's off to Savage to let them deal with it.

Let me see if I understand. No rifling for 2-3 inches starting at the bore. And that's constitutes an "Oops;" dang, slipped by quality control?
crazy.gif
O.K., I'll cut them slack. But they better hand the QC guy a broom and let him do sweep up for a couple of months.
cry.gif
It's not like a rifle needs rifling, does it? I guess I'm lucky, on my TRR-SR they couldn't align two screws in the buttplate and that made me PO. If I were Savage I would give the owner a little gift (1 or 2 magazines) and pay shipping both ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 3in into the rifeling there is a smooth spot that goes all the way around where there is no rifeling at all for about 1/2in and 5 very tight spots in the bore and 3 spots where there it's no resistance when cleaning. Oh it also was shooting 5in groups at 50yds. This is brand new and the dealer sent it back for me today </div></div>What the hell?!? Man, Savage usually runs a pretty tight ship as far as quality is concerned. That really surprises me.
frown.gif

I bought a Savage Mark II GL about a year ago. Took it to the range and ran some NECO fire-lapping rounds through it. I noticed that the sights seemed a bit rotated counter clock-wise with respect to the stock. Got it home and took the stock off. Sure enough, they mounted the barrel with about 5 degree CCW rotation. Because of the way the attached the barrel to the receiver, I couldn't do any thing about it. Sent it back to Savage. The good news is that they sent me a new rifle. The bad news is that it took from November 21 to February 10 for me to get it back. I hope I can find a CZ 455 in left hand bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was really looking hard at one of these for a cheap trainer with a nice vertical grip and I just keep hearing more bad things.... </div></div>

If it means anything, I have one in 17hmr and its fantastic. Everything was great straight from factory. It was even rather clean and not overly lubed.

My btv .22lr was amazing and not a problem with it and thats why I bought my tr and I expect a certain amount of rifels to be defective as with any major mass producing company because thats just the nature of business. With that being said I have good confidence they will make this right for me and Terrors rifel as well

There's no doubt in my mind that Savage will make it good.

well, I just pulled the trigger on a TR. I had read this post prior to ordering, but I will have the advantage of looking at the rifle prior to forking the cash over.

I would've gone with the FV option and went with the stock upgrade, but I just don't have the damn patience to wait for Boyd's to supply their "Tacticool" stock. Everytime I look at the stock, it is on "Backorder" status... I also happen to like the bolt knob on the TR's as compared to the standard FV.

Here's to hoping my rifle comes with rifleing!
wink.gif

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I've shipped the gun back and I haven't heard anything back. I'm starting to get pretty restless about it.
It sucks having so much money wrapped up in something to only have fired it once

HOLY CRAP
shocked.gif
I gave the gun to my dealer on 2-10-12 and I just called savage and they just recieved it on 2-22-12. Savage said it takes 2-3 weeks to evaluate. WTF took so long to get the gun to Savage I'm calling my dealer now because that seems a little excessive

My is suppose to be shipping back some time this week after about 3 weeks at savage. They said the accuracy problems were a hammer issue I guess will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOLY CRAP
shocked.gif
I gave the gun to my dealer on 2-10-12 and I just called savage and they just recieved it on 2-22-12. Savage said it takes 2-3 weeks to evaluate. WTF took so long to get the gun to Savage I'm calling my dealer now because that seems a little excessive </div></div>The dealer may have taken a few days to ship it. Some places have shipments go out once or twice a week only on specific days. Figure UPS takes 5-7 days....

Today I called up Savage to check on my status and the lady told me "we checked the head space and everything was good there so it has been sent to the range to target it." I told the lady on the phone that the head space didn't appear to have any problems and thats not why it was sent into then fore repair. I explained the situation about the rifeling starting then stopping about 3in in then starts up again as well as the tight and loose spots. The lady replied "well if there if no rifeling in the barrel it won't pass on the target"
The last didn't seen to understand edgar I was saying and she kudu kept replying I'll have them check the chamber. I explained again that my problem wasn't with the chamber it was the rifeling and bore. It sounded as she was young some notes. We then got off the phone. I was a little discouraged and thinking well this was no help to me and the gun is still going to be messed up.
10m mins later she called me back and she said she explained to the gunsmith my problem he looked at it and is definently a bad barrel and he will be replacing it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I called up Savage to check on my status and the lady told me "we checked the head space and everything was good there so it has been sent to the range to target it." I told the lady on the phone that the head space didn't appear to have any problems and thats not why it was sent into then fore repair. I explained the situation about the rifeling starting then stopping about 3in in then starts up again as well as the tight and loose spots. The lady replied "well if there if no rifeling in the barrel it won't pass on the target"
The last didn't seen to understand edgar I was saying and she kudu kept replying I'll have them check the chamber. I explained again that my problem wasn't with the chamber it was the rifeling and bore. It sounded as she was young some notes. We then got off the phone. I was a little discouraged and thinking well this was no help to me and the gun is still going to be messed up.
10m mins later she called me back and she said she explained to the gunsmith my problem he looked at it and is definently a bad barrel and he will be replacing it .
</div></div>
Just remember when calling customer service numbers your talking to the person lowest on the totem pole and most times newest to the company. They might not know all the terms and parts, but if you are patient and explain things well you should get a good result.

Glad they found the issue and are getting it taken care of.

damn i cant believe this problem still exists. Its not new and they defiantly know about it at Savage. if you care to read i have a thread on about the same issue.here

luckily my dealer gave me a new one.

Well I got my gun back from savage and I got a free magazine and Savage hat along with my test target from 100yds and if this is anything to the future of this gun I'm going to be happy.
.7in at 100yds and the pulled shot was just that when I talked to joe in the phone he told me about it
IMG_20120322_104340.jpg

I would say that was worth the wait. Good to see that they stepped up and did not pull some crap about it meeting a standard and shipping it back to you.

Federal gold medal ultra match 40gr is what my paperwork says. I just got done shooting some cci blazer that I left over from the batch I has before. Wind was gusting 10-15mph but I managed this 15rnd group from 50yds. This weekend I'm going to try out my eley. My groups were done off a bipod with no bag or rear rest
IMG_20120322_133820.jpg

That's much better. Glad you got this resolved. Looks like your group is OK w/o a rear bag. Let us know how your other ammo does.

I'd be interested to learn what kind of QC screwup happened to let a "rifle" out the door w/such bad riffling to begin with. It always takes a bunch of the customer's time to fix this kind of problem.

Glad to hear that Savage did right by you.....nice group!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I called up Savage to check on my status and the lady told me "we checked the head space and everything was good there so it has been sent to the range to target it." I told the lady on the phone that the head space didn't appear to have any problems and thats not why it was sent into then fore repair. I explained the situation about the rifeling starting then stopping about 3in in then starts up again as well as the tight and loose spots. The lady replied "well if there if no rifeling in the barrel it won't pass on the target"
</div></div>

You must have talked to the same lady as I did. I sent my 10fcp McM in because it was not getting better than 2-2 1/2" at 100. All rounds were literally following each other around the target in a spiral pattern, no matter the load, or the type of ammo I tried. Mine is at the range and I am hoping Nadine will be back next week.

I am glad they took care of the problem, gives me hope LOL

Maybe you'll get a sweet hat too lol. Good luck with yours. I'm all actuality it took a while longer than expected to get mine back but it shoots good now

I was hoping for a a spare mag or maybe my barrel threaded. But not that I didn't ask LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just don't have the damn patience to wait for Boyd's to supply their "Tacticool" stock. Everytime I look at the stock, it is on "Backorder" status... </div></div>

Just backorder it. You'll have it in a few weeks.

just got one today......no rifling at all and I can stick a whole round down the muzzle......

just got one today......no rifling at all and I can stick a whole round down the muzzle......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got one today......no rifling at all and I can stick a whole round down the muzzle...... </div></div> very nice. Good luck on the replacement.

get the new one tomorrow the dealer just swapped

Can it be that people don't look down the barrel of a rifle before they buy it? Really?

Would that make any difference to the fact the gun shouldn't have been sent that way to begin with? Your comment is the same as saying to someone who ordered a v8 camaro because it was the best offered and later found out it was a v6 installed by accident. If the person didn't know any better that person didnt know any better it's still the manufacturers fault It was shipped that way

Re: My TR is back from Savage!

I always look down the bore of used guns...I will now do it on new too!