• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My uncle gave me a pistol from his deceased father...

CBRpilot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Unfortunately the pistol ended up being a Derringer of some sort. I'll have to snap pics later if anyone really wants to see it, but it's a POS. I took the ammo out, locked the barrels, put it on safety, cocked the hammer, and was still able to pull the trigger. :confused: I tried multiple variations of this scenario, all ending in the trigger working just fine. :mad:

I was considering keeping it for fun, but it's obviously unsafe as is. If I kept it for nostalgic reasons or wanted to sell it, how would I go about registering it in the first place? My uncle purchased it about 10 years ago, paid cash, no bill of sale. He gave it to my grandfather soon after, again, no BOS. My grandfather died recently and now it's mine. I can get him to fill out a basic BOS for it, but he never "owned" it in the first place. WTF am I supposed to do with it? Melt it down? :cool:

I have seen guns that the trigger and hammer would operate with the safety on ...but the safety would block the hammer from hitting the firing pin. If I remember correctly the walther p22 is like this. You might take it to the range and see if it fires on safety.

I have seen guns that the trigger and hammer would operate with the safety on ...but the safety would block the hammer from hitting the firing pin. If I remember correctly the walther p22 is like this. You might take it to the range and see if it fires on safety.

This. Make sure you understand all you know(or vis-versa) before proceeding.

Bob

Good point. I don't mind keeping it so long as it's reliable. I just can't see myself having it worked on if it isn't working properly. It didn't cross state lines, so I guess I don't need to bother registering it. Maybe it'll be a last resort, bottom of the backpack type gun. Lol

Why on earth would you need or want to register it or wed a bill of sale for it?

I haven't lived in TX in years so I went to Wikipedia and found this:

"Texas has no laws regarding possession of "long-barreled firearms" or "long guns" (shotguns, rifles and similar) by persons 18 years or older, or handguns by persons 21 years or older, without felony convictions (all existing restrictions in State law mirror Federal law)."

If this is the case I see no reason why you would need to register it or that it would even be possible if you wanted to. I get asked regularly about registering guns here in Indiana and a registration does not exist. Lots of firearms bought and sold in private transactions in this state with absolutely no record or who bought it or who sold it.