• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Mythbusters Fires Ordnance Into Neighborhood!

earthtrekker1775

The Prodigal Gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
PNW
Some serious kinetic energy in a 10" cannonball!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj-CErr0VOY&feature=g-logo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj-CErr0VOY&feature=g-logo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I hope this is not a repost.

Re: Mythbusters Fires Ordnance Into Neighborhood!

I've had the opportunity to say, "That's awesome! We gotta put that out." But I've never quite launched a heavy ass ball almost 1/2 a mile through a couple of houses. When the Mythbusters do something, they usually do it <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> well. Doubly so, if JD or Frank are involved. I wonder how fast they booked it when they realized the ball had managed to clear the range?

Thats SW Virginia....Tucker301 or John Lester probrably had a hand in it.
whistle.gif

Good post.

I wonder if this makes there bloopers reel, when, if they resum filming / broadcasting. Well there insurance rate is going up, I'll almost place money on their myths becoming more mundan.....

Damn that is one of my favorite shows.

Cool to see the damage path, but I doubt their lawyers/insurance people think so.

Yep thats awesome, about 1/4mile from my house. They use the alameda county range all the time and they do some wild stuff. Usually they have a retired FBI ordinance dude who does all the saftey stuff for them.

I would love to know the specs on the projectile. Pretty impressive but I am very glad no one was in the line of fire could have been much worse, I hope they can get back to filming before too long.

I was at a large match in the desert southwest where some fellows were demonstrating a small field piece (around 2-3 inch bore) that looked like a mini howitzer. They towed it behind a jeep. This was around 1982-84. They were going to shoot at a bus about 1000 yards downrange.

They backed up to the range, loaded it up and took a shot...the round sailed way high over the bus, and over the hill behind the bus. They loaded up and drove off, I presume to check for damage. Fortunately here was nothing but more desert behind the hill, but it sure as hell looked like they were leaving town. I don't think they were booking out of the area though, as it wouldn't have done any good because event sponsors had all their info for the police if there would have been any damage.

The guys I was with got a good laugh because it sure looked like they split as soon as the round went high. I think they just didn't calculate the difference in altitude, air pressure, humidity and so on properly.

I guess it just goes to show that if you shoot often enough, something is bound to go wrong sometime. Murphy is alive an well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats SW Virginia....Tucker301 or John Lester probrably had a hand in it.
whistle.gif

Good post. </div></div>

Its not in Virginia, its in Alameda County, Dublin, Ca.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats SW Virginia....Tucker301 or John Lester probrably had a hand in it.
whistle.gif

Good post. </div></div>

Its not in Virginia, its in Alameda County, Dublin, Ca. </div></div>

OOPS
blush.gif
Still Tuckers fault.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats SW Virginia....Tucker301 or John Lester probrably had a hand in it.
whistle.gif

Good post. </div></div>

Lester would have just rolled if off of Burke's Garden... it would not stop until it hit Bishop.

At 2:20ish the reporter says "It missed the barrels, tore through a CONCRETE WALL..." Holy shnikeys batman...I want one! ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well their goes that show. </div></div>

Pretty irresponsible to be firing cannons without a clean backdrop.

I've been to afew full auto shoots where there shooting bowling balls into the sky and they just disappear into the clouds......But that's in the middle of no where with nothing for miles in the back drop.

I hear you knocking but you can not come in. Oh you are already threw the house.

It is good no none was hurt. Doors are easy to fix, or at least replace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you knocking but you can not come in. Oh you are already threw the house.

It is good no none was hurt. Doors are easy to fix, or at least replace.
</div></div>

Sounds like a job for Queequeg.

whistle.gif

Good post.</div></div>

I wish that was all that was going on in SW VA.

Buddy of mine used to live on that street...pretty crazy. You have to really shoot out of the range fan to hit that house!

[/quote]

Pretty irresponsible to be firing cannons without a clean backdrop. [/quote]

Remember the concrete barrier the cannonball went through? And the hill it hit but bounced over?

the back story was it wasnt shot out of a cannon at all but launched out of Cairie's dripping snatch when Adam fell on top of her diving for a dildo

Im still trying to get the scoop on the layout and what happened. That projo went due east and all of the designed impact points are set up due north. The range is pretty sweet, they use big steel baffles that are about 20' high to keep any small arms fire from clearing the berm and heading into Camp Parks which is literally right over the hill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REELDOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang spin drift.............</div></div>
They didn't drink Spin D!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My 12500gr bowling ball with a G7 of .795 is only doing about 750fps...
</div></div>

Ok, you got my attention, what the hell are you using to launch a bowling ball!? And...where do you get cheap bowling balls, cause now I want whatever it is your using ha

dang that was the best show on Wednesdays, crap now i have to watch csi agin grrrrrrrrrrr

I bet there's a couple big lawsuits over that. Thank god no one was hurt.

They wouldn't have had that problem if they had been using grapeshot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They wouldn't have had that problem if they had been using grapeshot. </div></div>

That makes me wonder...

Why the hell didn't they have some civil war re-enactors, or some cannon experts with them?

It's a crew served weapon, and they just 'Sons of Guns' themselves.

It would be great for highpower competition, but shooter would bitch about the target service...
wink.gif

I cant help but think What if??? I dont know what I would do if I came home to a bunch of fire fighters, police..., and they told me my family was taken out by a cannon for a tv show.

^^^ I can't help but think:

What absolute worst conclusion/scenario could you possibly jump to? Maybe something not so negative, eh? Merry Christmas.

man, that could have been tragic. somebody has some good karma for sure... i think maybe that range is waaayy too close to all of those houses.

Oh come on, give them a break. Seriously, who hasn't shot a bowling ball through their neighbors house? It's a right of passage.

I'm guilty of shooting a homemade arrow through My neighbors living room window, just above his recliner. Stuck it in the wall. That test was successful. My next homemade bow and arrow was much more accurate. I was 12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: battle-scarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man, that could have been tragic. somebody has some good karma for sure... i think maybe that range is waaayy too close to all of those houses.</div></div>

No, what I'm thinking is that those people bought houses waaayy too close to the range. It was there first and if (1) they knew the range was there, it made them uncomfortable, but they bought a house in the area anyway or (2) they didn't do proper research about the location prior to buying a house there, well, I don't feel bad for them.

^^^^^you beat me too it. LE depts always build their stuff in the middle of no where for safety...only to have the cities expand over the years and get closer and closer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Remember the concrete barrier the cannonball went through? And the hill it hit but bounced over? </div></div>

Yeah and they failed to account for the fact that cannon balls bounce and roll on the ground.

They shouldn't be firing something like that if they have no working knowledge of what constitutes a safe backdrop.

In the military, a safe backdrop for artillery is miles of no-mans land. They should have found a comparable site to fire the cannon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Remember the concrete barrier the cannonball went through? And the hill it hit but bounced over? </div></div>

Yeah and they failed to account for the fact that cannon balls bounce and roll on the ground.

They shouldn't be firing something like that if they have no working knowledge of what constitutes a safe backdrop.

In the military, a safe backdrop for artillery is miles of no-mans land. They should have found a comparable site to fire the cannon.

</div></div>
Anybody that does anything, fucks up. That includes the Military, Nasa, Doctors, to include Gun folks. My guess would be the Military losing Nukes is just a small cut above this, but that's just me.

wow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jvencius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: battle-scarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man, that could have been tragic. somebody has some good karma for sure... i think maybe that range is waaayy too close to all of those houses.</div></div>

No, what I'm thinking is that those people bought houses waaayy too close to the range. It was there first and if (1) they knew the range was there, it made them uncomfortable, but they bought a house in the area anyway or (2) they didn't do proper research about the location prior to buying a house there, well, I don't feel bad for them.</div></div>

The range is on the north side of the jail and the modern range has been there for ten years. The county needed property and sold a bunch to Kauffman and Broad to build houses. They built over the old range on the east side and built the county one of the most ass kicking facilities I have ever trained at, all as a perk or motivation to sell the property to begin with. The houses basicly come all the way up to the front of the jail on the south side. As part of the overall agreement the county no longer punts the new release inmates out the front door, they transport them to the BART (light rail train) about two miles away so they are not strolling through the nice new neighborhood picking up souveniers on the way back to Oakland.

Mythbusters has been using that range for years and they seem to be pretty fun to work with.

If you google Santa Rita jail, Dublin, CA, it gives a good view, you can see all the open land that is pretty much all houses now.