• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing n. cal hunting help

Cleanmiss

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
sacramento
Hey guys I'm a bit green here but have been on snipercentral for a while until I was told to go here. I really need some help, I started hunting last year and have had some really good times. I hunt alone most of the time and dont know a great deal of what Im doing other than ALL the stuff I read and what I know about the "outdoors". I've been doing a lot of pig hunting on public land (I know not the greatest) and have been a bit unsuccesful. We cant bait or hunt at night and guided hunts are too much $$. The real prob is I dont have any family or friends that hunt or can teach me some of things that can't be learned from reading and such. Basically those of you who live in crapifornia if you could get back to me with some advise or tips or tricks or even if you want to go hunting or shooting.
Thanks guys

Re: n. cal hunting help

The main problem is that there are 39 million people in CA. You, and almost everyone else, would have better success if the population density was not so high.

s

It't interesting that you got into hunting without anyone introducing you to it. You're going to have to find some friends with the same interests as you and feel lucky if you find someone truly skilled. I think I would hang out at a local rifle range for awhile and see if I got lucky.

Good luck

There are way too many ppl here and way too many laws and regulations. I have two buddies that hunt with me a little bit but one is not very motivated and over weight. I'll never ever take him again! And my other really good buddy is just as green as me. We both grew up shootin squirrels rabbits and birds but no big game hunting. It'd just be nice to have to have somebody with wisdom. Either way I'm not going to stop huntin I can't think of too much I'd rather do. I'll just keep on with trial and error and a lot of hiking and searching. I have met a couple nice folks at the range but mostly just big talkers. I have thought about hangin some letters on the property gates it's worth a try. I don't mind workin my ass off on a ranch or on the owners vehicles. I am a mechanic that's a pretty desirable skill set.

hahahaha. I would like to just see the animal more than once from the highway!!! I hate this state... I know Im hunting in a heavily hunted area, but Ive seen sign of the effers and there arent a whole lot of other options. I just heard of another public land that has "some pigs" so I'll get some maps, load up the pack and head out soon. At the vary least I get to carry around my new stick I just finished.

Good resource would be Jesse's Hunting Forum. Lots of info there and all the local guys.

Have you tried Calguns? They have a hunting forum and I'm sure you'll find more local hunters there who can help you.

As far as California goes, I love this state. I don't choose where I live based on gun laws. Where else can you surf in the morning and ski in the evening? Very ethnically diverse as well. Great place to live, in my opinion.

I did have a guy from jesse's help me out a ton and tell me a new spot to try and exactly where to go and what to do. Thats the spot Im going to try once we start getting some rain. Rhongman, I will check out calguns for sure and I dont hate ca just because of the gun laws, there are very many reasons most of which have nothing to do with this subject or this site so I wont elaborate. Id might like it a bit more if I lived that close to the beach like you. All we have up here is a couple over crowded rivers and tooo many ppl.

Are you looking at hunting up north. Like way up north of central commifornia.

Yeah been hunting up in the blm off 20, I was going to take a trip down to fort hunter liggett but was steered away by a game warden and a blm manager. I also didnt want to drive from sac to be possibly turned away at the gates, I have been told that hunter liggett is great public pig hunting and good for deer too. Im just not too familiar with the area and a
day wasted hurts.

well D general is about to start up here for deer so Ill take a break from the pigs and let you guys know how my first deer season goes (you can prob guess already) but Ill still give it a try. wish me luck I will need it...

I’m out in the Modesto area, hunting is tough out here... We rely on private land for most pig hunting and blm land for everything else.. and the private land is hard to come by because stupid people go out and trash peoples private property and ruin it for all of us..
Great state.. laws suck and the politics are even worse

I agree 100% with the laws and politics being shitty and there are way too many ppl here. But I typed up a letter to give to some property owners in hopes of some access to their land and a chance to prove that not all hunters are disrespectful, all in return for helping them work it and help them out in any way they need. Im going to go post em up and hand them out in the areas that I hunt and hopefully that gets me somewhere. I guess its worth a try.

You have picked a hard row to hoe hunting there. That area is hunted real hard almost all year long. Ask me how I know. I have hunted it for 30 + years. You can score there but be prepared to earn it. Most of the bucks and all the big ones are nocturnal most of the time. I get them by getting off of the beaten path. Be prepared to walk your butt off and debone and pack a deer out. You can get lucky and get an easy one up there, but most of them you will earn. I still hunt up there and try to spot a buck in its bed, but most of the deer I kill are jumped out of there beds while still hunting and I get a lucky shot in. I am not picky on the first deer I kill every year. If it is legal and I can, I tag it. Here is what I done opening weekend. You have weather coming next week I would go get wet if I was you. I know I will if I can get off work. Best of luck too you and if you get one in that area you earned it. You might also try the higher elevations until later in the year.

IMG_0686.jpg

benlow thanks for the reply. To me the best part of hunting is getting off the beatin path and far away from ppl. I have no prpblem puttin in a lot of work i found that out hunting pigs year round in colusa and lake county. I am really excited the rain is coming i got all my gear ready to go. I was hoping it would hit this weekend but ill settle for the weekdays. Also Ive been helping a buddy clear and set up his property for their horses and they have quite a few deer come through there and he said I could take one of the rosebud bucks if I see one. His girl friend also said she would train one of her horses so I could take it hunting whenever I want. So Im pretty stoked about that especially since I hunt alone. Itd be nice to help me get farther out and pack something out too. Thanks for the help guys keep it coming.