• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Naked into the Wilderness 2: The Debris Hut

Re: Naked into the Wilderness 2: The Debris Hut

Ahh.. Back in the day... A friend and I used to go "survival" hiking for about a month every summer. I've built many shelters like that.
Great Stuff and I live in Knox County TN also...

outstanding output tres! Thanks!

Holy thread necromancy, Batman ...

I read all post in this thread. Very good stuff wating for next.

Very good article. In basic training in 1958 we learned to dig a small ditch at the rear of our pup tent so the colder air would sink to that spot. We also had smuggled in a candle and your are dead on. Made a big difference in the temps. JesseB

Would you be able to please repost photos? I'm having a tough time visualizing a couple of the more abstract descriptions. Thanks,
Adam

A nice post, would be great if images were still available

Great thread, thank you!

We always used a lean to in the southeast due to lack of crazy cold and the need to have a little air flow to cut down on skeeters. Usually coupled with a small "smudge" fire in the night to try to keep skeeters off.

However in cold weather this setup SUCKED and you either had to have a helluva roaring fire or enclose the front and leave the fire out- essentially making a debris hut like you mentioned.