• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Naked into the wilderness:true preparedness

Re: Naked into the wilderness:true preparedness

Indeed! Me too. I don't fly airlines anymore, so I drive...always. I'm retired as well, and still 'relatively' young at 44. But... I always leave the house prepared. The Naked Survivor is a concept that takes a lot of time, training. We all know this much. Even retired, I don't have the time or oppurtunity to continue learning 'ancient craft' out in the woods as Tarzan, so... I use equipment! For me, there is no problem with that at all. There are only a few things I've found on my multi-day jaunts that would benefit me greatly if lost, out of water, food, ammo, etc: knowing how to find water, which I do; building natural traps (which is SO easy to learn, even easy deer leg traps that I tested with a shank); carrying a $3 tried and true magnesium/flint striker in pocket, as well as a small sharp knife makes fire! With trash everywhere, I polish bottom of pop can to concentrate sun on stripped tender/dry leaves. Easy stuff. I know the the important stars of constellations at different times of year because I like simple navigation and its easy to learn basics in your own backyard, but thats not necessary. And even my youngest knows how to simply navigate by sun and stay put at night. I cannot ever see myself without the ability to use any of these things. (Oh, I'm a proficient tracker, but that is a hobby - except with local search and rescue volunteer). In this great day and age, being prepared is extremely easy and doesn't require much.

My opinion, so take it however you like, but not meant to offend at all is take a few things with you instead of a stick and rock. Survival rates in plane crashes are so low, and the chance of being able to walk away if you do survive is about nil anyway. If you do, stay with the plane! Never leave sight of it. Dress properly for the weather, put a few things in your pocket. Knowing how to find, get, retrieve water and de-contaminate it is something any woodsman should learn. Critical things first.
wink.gif
Plenty of fuel there for sparkin a fire with a battery and wire.

These are just my thoughts and are not meant to offend. I actually love reading this series, fun and interesting. Keep it up the good work!

best regards,
Keith

Dont know why all these survivalist dont carry the one thing, that you can legal carry at all times, in your wallet (dont know when I have ever been with out it.) It creates fire, never runs out unless we no longer have a sun and then it would not matter anyways. I carry a magnifi reading card...... it is basically a magnafying glass, the size or a bussiness card. I could start a fire any time and I am never with out one...... and I can take it anywhere...... if it gets wet it still works......... completely flexiable and hard to damadge....... Greatest tool that you can have.....

Got a good laugh!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3AYikldAOY&feature=youtube_gdata_player "></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3AYikldAOY&feature=youtube_gdata_player " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mis-guided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep em coming!</div></div>
+1

I,m all for folk learning primitive survival skills, however not utilizing all the gizmos and gadgets available makes lil sense.
Work smarter not harder
The day comes i have to hand knap stone for a blade, sad state of affairs. Neat trick but not essential.
Whole lot of pert much useless stuff out there you can expend time on for very little return improving your survivability.
FIRE
SHELTER
FOOD
WATER

Regardless of how you accomplish them having various methods to do so increases likely hood of survivability.
Ability to produce potable water via numerous methods both modern and primitive, will serve you better than knowing how to knap a blade ... but thats just me
Survival is conquering the unplanned event that befalls you, prepacking items to cover such an event will improve your likely hood of success.

There is Primitive and there is stupid, fore going modern gizmos
completely ... confusing one with other will be detrimental to your goal SURVIVAL.

I bought some matchs and on the package it said under water matchs and they will trike and light underwater but I can get the wood on fire. LOL

I didn't read all the replies but I love the ops idea I personally can't do a handbill or a bow drill but I've seen my father do booth multiple times and it is like magic watching it happen it is 100% possible to do a hand drill you just need the right sticks is all iv seen alder root seasoned and cotton wood seasoned do it many time those are good base boards the stick is kinda tricky most say horse weed works great and I'm pretty sure but not positive but I'm guessing the op is using cedar also a great natural fiber for a string is dogbane and stinging neddlles two of the best natural fibers in North America

Great thread, and excellent info. I think everyone on this forum likely understands that behind every piece of kit that has been recommended to them over the years is a story from a survival situation where someone needed it and didn't have it.

With your knowledge we can definitely increase our chances of survival in a real "worst case scenario" and maybe even lighten our emergency kits a bit as well.

Subscribed!