• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Naked! Lefty Tac Ops X-Ray 51 action

Aries64

Deep Behind Enemy Lines in IsWokestan!
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Thats' right, a naked (un-coated) lefty Tac Ops X-Ray 51 action ready for Birdsong. These photos were shot rather hastily before the action was sent to Birdsong for coating. It will be coated in Tac Ops traditional metalwork color scheme of Tac Ops OD Green-T and Black-T. Time was short, the lighting was inadequate, and the location did not allow me to position and photograph the action as I normally would, so these photos are not up to my normal quality standard but you get the idea...

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Naked" lefty X-Ray 51 barreled action ready for Birdsong coating:</span></span>
SGsX-Ray51BarrelledActionNOSN8X6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">All Tac Ops engraving work is done with a hammer & chisel:</span></span>
SGsX-RayEngravings8x6.jpg

SGsTacticalOperationsProofmark8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Perfectly square shoulder and Class 3A thread work - pardon the anti-seize on the bare metal:</span></span>
Class3AThreads8x6.jpg

ThreadProtector18x6.jpg

ThreadProtector28x6.jpg

ThreadProtector38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion shown without Bolt Knob threaded-on:</span></span>
SGsX-Ray51TacOpsBoltHandle8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overall view of bottom of Tac Ops Bottom Metal:</span></span>
SGsX-Ray51TacOpsBM18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of trigger guard of Tac Ops Bottom Metal:</span></span>
SGsX-Ray51TacOpsBM38x6.jpg

Keith

Re: Naked! Lefty Tac Ops X-Ray 51 action

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Two more:</span></span>

SGsX-Ray51TacOpsBM48x6.jpg

SGsX-Ray51TacOpsBM28x6.jpg

Keith

That's a piece of art!
As are all the pics I see of Tac Ops work.

Naked!

That's obscene... Soon she will be mine, sooooon....

Incredibly impressive machine and finish work. Just awesome.

NO NO NO. Dont coat the gun....leave it like it is. I think it looks fine.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naked!

That's obscene... Soon she will be mine, sooooon.... </div></div>

This one is yours?

Hey Keith- EH's wife just sent me an email, she thinks that he'll be too busy in the coming months and that TacOps should ship that X-ray over to me for safe keeping.

I promised to feed it, exercise it, clean it and read it bedtime stories. I will even find time to send EH some pics as time goes on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naked!

This one is yours?

Hey Keith- EH's wife just sent me an email, she thinks that he'll be too busy in the coming months and that TacOps should ship that X-ray over to me for safe keeping.

I promised to feed it, exercise it, clean it and read it bedtime stories. I will even find time to send EH some pics as time goes on... </div></div>

Classic,LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE! I hope I get a Tac Ops bottom metal on my .260.

Jamie </div></div>
What did you specify when you ordered your .260? If you didn't specify the Tac Ops Bottom Metal you could end up with a factory bottom metal or a Williams (nothing wrong with Williams). I just got an A5 Adjustable with the Loggerhead cheek hardware and BDL inlet, but I think I'll have Mike re-inlet it for the Tac Ops Bottom Metal. You should give Mike a call and tell him you want his bottom metal to be sure you get what you want.

Keith

Keith, That is nice fit and finish. If you don't mind, what color or colors are you going with and is the Birdsong coating better or more durable than the Cerakote? I love the thread protector with the deep recess. Nice, nice just damn nice. Thanks for the info and I hope I didn't hijack with my question. Thanks ,Tommy

HMM, Birdsong is right down the road from me. I might have to wait till they close, I sure could use a new rifle. and that barreled action is Sweet!!!

Birdsong does great work, you be very happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a piece of art!
As are all the pics I see of Tac Ops work.</div></div>
Photos are nice, but handling them and shooting them is the only way to really appreciate them. I can hardly wait until this one comes back from Birdsong. It belongs to a friend of mine, and I'd like to mount my "spare" PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR CCW on his lefty X-Ray 51 and try to convert him to MIL.

My friend could have had his rifle six months ago if he would have gone with a Williams I had stashed, but he wanted to wait for the Tac Ops Bottom Metal. I told him to get the Williams and re-inlet the stock later, but he held-out because he didn't want to have to send his X-Ray back for the TOBM later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gorgeous. </div></div>
Definitely, but I like them coated in Birdsong better!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Engravings on my right hand Tac Ops X-Ray 51 coated in "Tac Ops OD" Green-T:</span></span>
TacticalOperationsX-Ray51Engravings8x6.jpg

TacticalOperationsEngraving8x6.jpg

X-Ray51Engraving8x6.jpg

X-Ray51308Engraving8x6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naked!

In your (wet) dreams EH! Thats' <span style="font-style: italic">MicronuT</span>'s X-Ray action. Just twisting the knife a little, buddy. Heh-heh!

Keith

Keith, I was just on the phone with Mike about my rifle. I'll have it soon enough. Soooon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, That is nice fit and finish. If you don't mind, what color or colors are you going with and is the Birdsong coating better or more durable than the Cerakote? I love the thread protector with the deep recess. Nice, nice just damn nice. Thanks for the info and I hope I didn't hijack with my question. Thanks ,Tommy </div></div>
Tommy, you haven't seen fit and finish until you've seen a completed Tac Ops rifle. They are exceptionally easy on the eyes and and smooth in the hands. But the kicker is how they shoot. Also, the "naked" lefty X-Ray 51 action isn't mine - it belongs to a friend who has wanted a Tac Ops rifle for more than 12 years - maybe 15. I met this particular friend several years ago, and after I received my X-Ray 51 I let him shoot it. Thats' all it took - he set his mind on an X-Ray 51, and I introduced him to Mike at Tac Ops.

My friend's rifle will be coated in Tac Ops traditional color scheme of "Tac Ops OD" Green-T and Black-T (Birdsong makes two formulations of Green-T, <span style="font-style: italic">"Tac Ops OD"</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">"Naval Special Warfare"</span>). <span style="font-style: italic">"Tac Ops OD"</span> Green-T is now exclusive to Tac Ops, and is more Green than the Naval Special Warfare (or NSW) Green-T. NSW Green-T is what non-Tac Ops work is coated-in. Tac Ops customers can choose to have their guns goated in NSW, but non-Tac Ops customers' cannot have their stuff coated in "Tac Ops OD" Green-T. Read my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Birdsong Finishes"</span></span> thread for information about Birdsong coatings.

Below are photos of my X-Ray 51 with the metalwork coated in Tac Ops OD Green-T and Black-T. Aside from the extremely accurate machining of the action and surface finishes, Tac Ops does a lot of stock fitting, filling, and sanding before texturing - then more sanding between applications of the texturing, which is done in successive stages. The entire stock is then painted with heavy-duty epoxy paint (the main color is Tac Ops OD and the textured areas are Black).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 in "Tac Ops OD" Green-T and Black-T w/PMII 5-25X and Mark 4 Highs on Tac Ops 40 MOA Two-Piece Base:</span>
X-Ray51BT28RSProfileFF18x6.jpg

X-Ray51BT28LSProfileFF18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops "times" the screws. Notice that the letters <span style="font-style: italic">"YFS"</span> on the screws that secure this Anschutz Rail are all top center:</span>
X-Ray51AnschutzRailBT282CC8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Closeup of perfectly timed Anschutz Rail screws:</span>
X-Ray51AnschutzRailTimedScrewsCC8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Birdsong Finishes are only .0002-.0003" thick, so they're applied to every part - even the tiniest spring, protecting inside & out:</span>
X-Ray51LoadingPort8x6.jpg

BlackGreen-TTriggerCloseup18x6.jpg

BlackGreen-TWilliamsBM18x6P.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Square shouldered Class 3A threaded barrel and matching Class 3B thread protector:</span>
ClassIIIThreads8x6.jpg

TOThreadProtector8x6.jpg

X-Ray51CrownMuzzle28x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, I was just on the phone with Mike about my rifle. I'll have it soon enough. Soooon! </div></div>
Sweet. Looks like you have two <span style="font-style: italic">babies</span> due. Are you getting a Williams or Tac Ops bottom metal?

Keith

You guys are killing me with great pics of this first class kit......I probably won't make it long into retirement anyway...might as well spend it all now...GAP, LAPrecision, TAC Ops, SAC, I want one of each!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killing me with great pics of this first class kit......I probably won't make it long into retirement anyway...might as well spend it all now...GAP, LAPrecision, TAC Ops, SAC, I want one of each!!!!! </div></div>
You can't take it with you, and even if you did some bastard might dig it up, <span style="font-style: italic">along with you.</span> If you have any deserving grandkids or nieces and/or nephews they'll have some mighty nice toys!

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, I was just on the phone with Mike about my rifle. I'll have it soon enough. Soooon! </div></div>
Sweet. Looks like you have two <span style="font-style: italic">babies</span> due. Are you getting a Williams or Tac Ops bottom metal?

Keith </div></div>

Only the best for my babies - TacOps bottom metal. Your point about passing these down to the next generation is spot on. My little boy will be getting his TacOps from me (as well a Green Hornet if his grades justify it...).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, I was just on the phone with Mike about my rifle. I'll have it soon enough. Soooon! </div></div>

Keith </div></div>

Only the best for my babies - TacOps bottom metal. Your point about passing these down to the next generation is spot on. My little boy will be getting his TacOps from me (as well a Green Hornet if his grades justify it...).

</div></div>
Tac Ops Bottom Metal = sweet. I dropped my A5 Adjustable off at Mike's to be transformed into an X-Ray stock with a 10" Anschutz Rail. The stock will also be inletted for the TOBM. When the time comes I'll have to surrender my X-Ray for bedding and to be re-shot. As usual Mike is swamped but he is also under the weather right now. I'm sort of sick right now too, and was treated to two bowls of home-made Italian chicken soup by Mike's wife. Awesome! Hopefully, Mike will be fully-functional again soon. I can't wait to shoot my X-Ray 51 with the new stock!

Keith

I was informed I am getting the TOBM as well. Hopefully Mike gets feeling well fast our sanity depends on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balataspin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was informed I am getting the TOBM as well. Hopefully Mike gets feeling well fast our sanity depends on it. </div></div>
Yes - lets' hope so!

Keith

mine, eat your hearts out. !!!

i got bedtime stories on the shelves already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naked!

This one is yours?

I promised to feed it, exercise it, clean it and read it bedtime stories. I will even find time to send EH some pics as time goes on... </div></div>

This one is yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MicronuT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine, eat your hearts out. !!!

i got bedtime stories on the shelves already</div></div>
I'm sure you do <span style="font-style: italic">(MicronuT)</span>, but don't be surprised if your girlfriend gets a little jealous when she see you fingering your X-Ray 51 and you wind-up on the sofa for a while...

Keith