• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Narrowing down my choice for first precision rifle

txgolfer45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Texas, USA
I'm wanting a rifle that will work for both long range shooting and hunting (primarily hogs). For caliber, I'm going with .308. I'm leaning towards the Savage 10 Precision Carbine as it comes with the Accu-stock and Accu-trigger. I understand the Accu-Stock has a very good reputation. So, I would minimize the need/desire to change stocks. I considered the Savage 10FP, Remington 700 SPS Tactical and possibly the Remington 700 LTR. I like the features of the LTR. But, it is more money than the Savage 10 PC. I think I could apply the savings towards better optics on the Savage 10 PC. If I went with the 700 SPS Tactical, I would likely want to change out the stock fairly soon. Then, the cost goes up beyond the price of the Savage 10 PC and comes close to Rem 700 LTR.

I've done plenty of searches comparing the various alternative rifles. Seems the consensus is that the less expensive alternatives all will eventually need to have a stock change. The Savage 10 PC would eliminate that need.

Given my desire for both a long range rifle and hunting rifle, would the Savage 10 PC be a good choice for me?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Narrowing down my choice for first precision rifle

there are a LOT of guys on here who LOVE the savage and i think both that and the r700 are great starter guns. it doesn't matter which one you buy, if you spend enough time on here your goin to upgrade it regardless. another good route to go is to by a base r700 and send it to mark at SAC, he does a really good baseline job on the remingtons, trues everything up, tunes the trigger, etc.

whichever way you go i think you'll be happy.

but don't skimp on glass, thats where it counts!

dude...hogs from a pick up is the way most harvest ,,,,,some even run cans....so i would be looking at a nice short barrel remmy ...thread the barrel, secure a can and works on action drills on how to un-ass a pick up and connect with rhe runners

savvy the short barrel and mag fed lash-ups

I have a Savage 10pc that i bought pre-accustock. I have since put on an HS Precision stock and Im very happy with it. I would recommend finding a pre-owned 10pc with an HS Precision or McMillan stock. Its a little more of an initial investment, but I pretty much guarantee that you wont regret it. Im in the process of working up a load for it with 168gr matchkings and varget. This is how it shoots from the bench off a bag. I think its exceptional for a rifle under a grand.

CAM_0948.jpg

Another option would be Tikka Scout. I would probably go Savage 10 PC 5r.

I shot an LTR for about 6 years before getting an AW. The LTR served me well and I really enjoyed it. My only advice is that if you are going to get into long range tactical shooting learn the fundamentals on your first rifle and then if you really want a higher end rifle buy a new stick, don't spend lots of money on the entry level rifle. the notable exception here might be glass, but I doubt you will spend $3k on the entry level gun glass.

Recommending the 10 PC 5r so that it is ready for a suppressor should I decide to get one in the future?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recommending the 10 PC 5r so that it is ready for a suppressor should I decide to get one in the future? </div></div>

5R rifling, threaded barrel (also used for brake) , fluted too (if you are into that), but mainly for the 5r 1 in 11.25" twist