• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

National Guard Soldier Needs Some Gear Help!!!!!!!!!

JudasMac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon
Hey All,
I am a Sniper Team Leader in the Oregon Army National Guard and am in need of a helping hand. A few months back we had to do some conventional training with the rest of the unit so we had to bring all our armor to the field with us. We took off part of the way through the weekend to do some of our own training and were instructed to leave all our other crap under the gear-guard care of the broke dicks that were sitting back with the company's gear and radio. We came back and everything looked as if it had been unmolested. But upon returning to the armory and unpacking the gear I found that my OTV (body armor) was missing. The guys in my section have all stood up and said they would pitch in to help pay for it but it's a damn expensive piece of gear. My command is doing nothing and I need to get this gear to be able to turn in. OTV, IOTV, any of these models would be able to turn in as they don't look close enough upon gear turn in to matter and I am getting out of the Guard in July. If any of you have one of these laying around and want to get rid of it, I would be incredibly grateful. I have a small business building custom holsters and would love to build a holster or sheath or whatever kydex contaption you desire to thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and helping out if possible. It's got me pretty pissed off as all my years in the Marine Corps and 12 years of service total, I've never lossed a piece of gear.

S/F

-Michael

Have you thought of doing a Group Buy on here for some of your holsters, or other kydex gear? Is that possible for you?

Sorry to hear about your circumstance. I had a similar issue happen to me. Left it in the care of another soldier, other soldier lost it. I didn't have to pay, because I had witnesses that backed my statement about the incident.

Hand receipts work better. The Old saying "In God we trust, for everyone else a hand receipt is required", takes on a new meaning after encountering situations like these.

I never lost a piece of gear either. Funny, isn't it? Some knob jockey loses something that you entrusted to them, and you have to pay for it. Especially gear guarding too. That part irks me.

Anyone calling the guards into question?

No one is calling anyone into question as the line and assault platoon in our unit don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, let alone who was on gear guard... or at least no one is owning up to it anyway. The group buy idea is a great idea and I have absolute faith in my product and that people would be incredibly happy with what they get. The problem is that I'm not sure I could produce that much product in a timely manner. I actually shut the business down for the most part as US Tactical and a few other companies were getting ready to bulk order and I had zero time left with my family. It would have been a great venture if I had the resources to build more than one holster or piece at a time. But I don't. It makes it tough to work a 10 hour day and then spend 6 more in the shop. But it's a great thought. I still do them just on a onsey and twosey basis now. But I appreciate the idea and feedback ArmaHeavy

First off, if the property was taken file a report. An investigation would be conducted, and an SIR (Serious Incident Report) will be completed. The findings of the investigating officer will allow you to clear the property from your hand receipt.

You wont have to pay for it or take up a collection.

I've done several of those as a Investigating Officer of SIRs.

KraigWY,
I have been part of several of those as well..... on active duty. The command I am dealing with seems to be apathetic and has stated that I will fill out a statement of charges and that i will have to pay for it. Not sure if it's because they are lazy or that we spent a month between drill strying to locate it and it didn't find its way to the top for a couple of months, but it has been made clear that i will be held accountable for it. The whole thing is pretty frustrating and have had a serious education over the last few year about the difference between the Guard and active duty Marine Corps life. But I appreciate the suggestion

Its a simple FLIPL. Get sworn statements from everyone involved showing you were not at fault--that the gear walked away while you were training--and the investigating officer SHOULD see that you should not be held finacially liable. It's a fairly simple process.

Brother, I'm a CW2 and one of my crewchiefs had his vehicle broken into and his IOTV and plates were stolen. Insurance is going to pay but only after a statement of charges is paid by him. It's a mess. What I would do is to have your supply guy start a FLIPL, get sworn statements, and if the command doesn't do anything, then get the IG involved.

Gentleman, I understand the process very well. I've been in too long not to. But this is the first time I have felt truly stonewalled about it by my command. I will absolutely head back this month for drill and try to get them to start the process and investigation again but I have no faith in this command. I usually am the one telling people to "stop acting like a victim and get proactive" so I understand why you are saying that it's a simple process but, like I stated above, I don't believe it's going to get me anywhere.

Im sorry to hear your troubles, truely sickening,

I cant wait to hear when they get caught,,, And They Will,

Take care,

John

The TAG will see everything that comes across the IG's desk. They have weekly meeting with staff and key personnel in most cases. Your commander will know this. Usually the mention of IG will get peoples asses in gear for fear of a bad OER, which unfortunately, is where most motivation comes from these days instead of trying to do right by your soldiers. Be sure to take it up the chain and document everything with dates and times. Make your intentions known, but also set a deadline for the issue to be resolved locally before going to the IG. It's a CYA thing to keep them from twisting it and making you look like a POS. That's how I would go about it anyway.

I'll give that a shot HawkDriver, I should have been a lot more proactive about this but under some bad advice, we kept it quiet for a bit and tried to locate it. Now my biggest obstacle has been the "why did you wait to bring it up" question. Which is a legite question but is now leading to the "it's too late to do anything about" answer. Either way, I wouldn't trust this command to tie my shoes. But I haven't wanted to dime out the man who told me to wait. He's a damn good leader and is always there for us. Now it has fallen on my shoulders (rightfully so) but it's put me in a bad spot and first the first time in years, I truly feel like a boot. I understand a lot of what people are saying about the FLIPL and how it should be pretty simple... until the good idea fairy came along to wait this out and try to handle it on my own. So I really have to own a lot of this.
-I didn't leave the gear without a guard
-I didn't steal anyone elses crap
-I didn't sell my shit on ebay
BUT..... I wan't proactive immediately like I should have been and so here I am now. The more I actually write about it, the more I realize I have definitely backed myself into this corner but here I have never the less.

Good luck bromigo. Lost gear is no joke with us mil types (although i'm now a vet type). I'll never forget returning home one time and a complete mk18 upper was missing. Turns out no one could it anywhere because some kid had found a way into the armory and stolen the upper itself and put it in a backpack. no bueno day for him. thankfully we found it in fairly quickly with only minor searching needed.

Thanks Shaner, this whole thing has been a frustrating ordeal. I have a higher standard for myself than this and it's pissing me off to no end.

Yeah, Unknown. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. I think I've found what I need to make the armor you've offered complete and make this whole thing go away for damn near next to nothing. To all the above who have offered advise and kind words, thank you. It's always great to get on the Hide and see how many people are willing to take care of each other (and not in an Obamacare kinda way :)) thanks to all!

I am meeting JudasMac on Monday the 6th to deliver some armor he says will work. Payin' it forward.

Thanks for doing that, I hate not being able to help out when someone's in a Jam.

john

I think it is great fun to help out another guy by paying forward. I once answered a pay it forward offer from a fellow saying he had a snakeskin. I make holsters and knife sheaths, so I jumped on it. I expected to get a hide about 3-4 feet long and 6-10 inches wide. I got a full boa hide about 16 feet long and 16 inches wide! Geez, that thing was worth several hundred dollars, and I got if for nothing. It ended up as a matching holster, belt and double mag pouch for a 1911 for me, and a 2" snubbie holster for the fellow who gave me the hide. So it goes both ways...I gotta give back too...

Mighty noble of you Unknown. Shame it's getting harder to find men with virtues like that.

The TAG will see everything that comes across the IG's desk. They have weekly meeting with staff and key personnel in most cases. Your commander will know this. Usually the mention of IG will get peoples asses in gear for fear of a bad OER, which unfortunately, is where most motivation comes from these days instead of trying to do right by your soldiers. Be sure to take it up the chain and document everything with dates and times. Make your intentions known, but also set a deadline for the issue to be resolved locally before going to the IG. It's a CYA thing to keep them from twisting it and making you look like a POS. That's how I would go about it anyway.

I agree, this is a CCIR item, if your commander followed the rules he should have notified the state Joint Operations Center and a CCIR goes to senior leaders in your state. At that time, teh TAG and his staff and a bunch of other muckety mucks will hear of it. It will come right back to him and they (the JOC) usually require follow up sand plans to find the lost sensitive item. I know you feel like its a dead end, but just like anything in the Army, keep fighting!

Best of luck! Truely.

I was late on my advice, Unknown, good on you brother. Nice JOB!

Last edited:
Armor delivered...Although he had to buy a different carrier, JudasMac says it will work. I'm really glad that it all worked out for everyone.