• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing National Park Service to Reduce Bison Herd at Grand Canyon National Park

Dirty D

Resident Sommelier of cellulite
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Your moms house
I saw this and thought that I don't have a chance in hell because EVERY hunter in AZ will volunteer but then I saw the "hike 8 miles with a 60 pound pack" requirement along with the "be able to hit a paper plate sized target 5 times at 200 yards" and that will narrow down the available pool of applicants significantly.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/09-06-17-nps-to-reduce-bison-herd-at-grand-canyon-nat-park.htm

GRAND CANYON, AZ – The National Park Service (NPS) will work with cooperating agencies and partners to reduce the size of the bison herd on the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park (Park). The herd is approximately 400 to 600 animals and will be reduced over the next three to five years to fewer than 200 by lethal culling utilizing skilled volunteers and non-lethal capture and transfer to cooperating agencies and tribes.

The National Park Service (NPS) prepared an Initial Bison Herd Reduction Environmental Assessment (EA) which evaluated management actions that would reduce the herd. NPS Intermountain Regional Director Sue Masica signed a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) authorizing the Park to proceed with the selected action which is designed to quickly reduce bison population density.

Given the current distribution, abundance, density, and the expected growth of this herd, the NPS is concerned about increased impacts on park resources such as water, vegetation, soils, archaeological sites, and values such as visitor experience and wilderness character. Reducing the herd size will protect Park resources and values.

NPS biologists estimate that the herd has grown from approximately 100 bison, brought to the House Rock Wildlife Area in the early 1900s, to between 400 to 600 bison. Though the bison roam the Kaibab Plateau, they spend most of their time on the North Rim of the park. Biologists predict that the herd could grow to nearly 800 in the next three years and be as large as 1200 to 1500 animals within 10 years without further management actions to control the size of the herd.

Multiple agencies are involved with bison management on the Kaibab Plateau and this EA was prepared in collaboration with the Arizona Game and Fish Department, the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the InterTribal Buffalo Council. Partner organization goals and objectives for bison management were considered in development of the EA and the Park and partner organizations are now actively developing specific operational guidelines for herd reduction. An announcement of opportunities and a process for tribal members and members of the public to participate in volunteer culling will be made once operational guidelines for herd reduction are in place.

I talked to a lady at the park who said that they have no info on the application process yet but to call 928-638-7900 in a few months to follow up.

I saw this and thought that I don't have a chance in hell because EVERY hunter in AZ will volunteer but then I saw the "hike 8 miles with a 60 pound pack" requirement along with the "be able to hit a paper plate sized target 5 times at 200 yards" and that will...

Where did you find this?

I found it now. Could be interesting, though if they do mass cull it's probably not going to be like hunting.

As long as it's a clean and painless kill I'm not too hung up on how it happens.

I have spent time on the Kaibab Plateau and have seen a few of their Bison in the wild of the National Park and the adjoining National Forest. One thing I can tell you is, they are wild and weary creatures. It will not be a round up and shoot from what I saw. I would love to hunt the area as it is unbelievable how beautiful the area is. One of my favorites and somewhat easy to get to.