• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up NC Ranges...... 500yds+

Re: NC Ranges...... 500yds+

Piedmont gun club has out to 600yrds, range is located in Rutherford NC, but you have to go with a member and pay a small fee I think $10. Nice facility

Chris, will definitely take a visit sometime. Im a member of the Rowan Wildlife club, we have out to 200 yds, fun but stretching legs a little bit is fun too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camp Lejeune </div></div>

I am not sure they let people shoot on the long ranges anymore. They used to open up the pistol range but I know they stopped that. Only thing that I am aware of now is the skeet range.

anybody have any luck getting on to butner as a civilian? been out for a little over a year now and lost my in....guilford county sheriff's range has platforms out to 300yds i believe, i've only shot pistol and carbine out there though while still in the Army

I've got a 900yrd range and I'm looking for some experienced responsible shooters to shoot once a month or so. I usually just shoot steel out to 500 because trying 900 without a spotter has been a futile waste of ammo for me. If you're interested in an invite pm me your contact info and a little bio. I live in Huntersville, but my land is in Anson Co. Being that it's turkey season, I may try to get out there a couple time this month. Hunt the morning, then crank up the rifles around 10:30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camp Lejeune </div></div>

I am not sure they let people shoot on the long ranges anymore. They used to open up the pistol range but I know they stopped that. Only thing that I am aware of now is the skeet range. </div></div>

Not sure about skeet or bow or any of that, but I have shot multiple matches over the last couple years on the 600 and 1000 yard ranges. No, not open to public but they do run organized matches there for high power. If you just want to smack steel or sling bullets around, I am sure there are plenty of private spots in the state you can do that...just need a good friend with land. :)

Both of you guys are central/western NC.
frown.gif

It would be tits if someone would pop up with 1000 yards in eastern NC. Ive got a healthy amount of steel targets if anyone with private land would like to shoot once or twice a month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a 900yrd range and I'm looking for some experienced responsible shooters to shoot once a month or so. I usually just shoot steel out to 500 because trying 900 without a spotter has been a futile waste of ammo for me. If you're interested in an invite pm me your contact info and a little bio. I live in Huntersville, but my land is in Anson Co. Being that it's turkey season, I may try to get out there a couple time this month. Hunt the morning, then crank up the rifles around 10:30. </div></div>

I grew up in Anson County, and still live close by. PM inbound
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a 900yrd range and I'm looking for some experienced responsible shooters to shoot once a month or so. I usually just shoot steel out to 500 because trying 900 without a spotter has been a futile waste of ammo for me. If you're interested in an invite pm me your contact info and a little bio. I live in Huntersville, but my land is in Anson Co. Being that it's turkey season, I may try to get out there a couple time this month. Hunt the morning, then crank up the rifles around 10:30. </div></div>

PM sent...I live in the LKN area too

We really need to get all of us mid carolina members together and figure out how to get a 1000 yard range built within an hour of Charlotte. It can be done, but its going to take some work. Biggest issue is getting land with enough of a range fan to make it work. Then comes the $$ part. Then the rest is easy!

John

I totally agree! I've been looking to purchase some land anyway. What kind of plot(Dimensions and Acreage) makes a good 1000 yd range? Is there a rule of thumb how much space you need behind the berm?

Probably a minimum of 50 acres (I have almost that much and could do 1000 here if I cut timber along the eastern property line) if its a skinny rectangle, which is the shape of my property. But, thats a guess, and then you would need a sufficient safety fan unless you had a mountain for a backstop, as say Watauga gun club in Boone has.

A huge berm or dense trees behind the berm would definitely cut down on the amount of room needed. I'd love to see something around here anywhere near 1K. I have to haul my stuff in and out of an old sand pit in SC just get out to 300, 400 if I stay topside and take elevated shots.

Hell, I'd be willing to volunteer some time helping put it together. I can run the tracks off a dozer and an excavator.

Thanks for the pm's, I'll answer them soon.

DSC_0193.jpg

Nothing fancy, just built it so I could practice, but I've found that having another set of eyes downrange helps me shoot better. Sometimes if I'm not too carefull, I even learn something. My bench is for righties, lefties have to improvise. You can see the 100 and 200 yrd targets. We shoot into a 350' ridge that runs through the middle of my property.
P2190121.jpg

Steel hung @ 500, it's as high on the ridge I feel good about placing targets even though I own the other side. There is also a 400 yrd, but hard to see in pics. I have a large target I want to place @ 300 and hang some smaller pieces of steel from.
P8150178.jpg

From this spot on my land it's about 900 to the steel, but like I said, a waste of ammo without a spotter.

Yep, ya'll are right. I think having a natural ridgeline, hill or mountain to shoot into is the most efficient way to do it. I had been thinking of needing a lot more acreage where you lease out the land to a crop farmer and keep aside a sliver for the range. Then I'd just need to communicate with the Farmer for safe down range activities.

Where do all of you in the LKN area shoot locally? Rowan or what? We all oughta hook up and shoot and get to know each other dont ya think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We really need to get all of us mid carolina members together and figure out how to get a 1000 yard range built within an hour of Charlotte. It can be done, but its going to take some work. Biggest issue is getting land with enough of a range fan to make it work. Then comes the $$ part. Then the rest is easy!

John
</div></div>

There's tons of farmland in Concord, don't really have any idea of what land out there costs, but it seems like a likely location for what you're talking about. I bet it's a real pain though to get a range going in terms of permits, community saftey concerns, etc etc.

I'm up for getting together somewhere. My rifle is currently at the gunsmith getting threaded for a brake/suppressor. I should have it back in 3-4 weeks.

Hopefully my new one will be done by then. Then the 308 goes out somewhere to get threaded. WW where do you shoot around here?

I don't shoot enough that's for sure! For Rifle, I've made the drive out to Butner and also a private range near Kinston as a part of a class several times. I'm just hearing that there are several guys who get together in SW VA and shoot out to 1500. That's only about 2.5hrs North of here. So, in between the times when I shoot rifle I've been shooting pistol comps at the FOP lodge (USPSA) and the steel and plate matches out at PHA. That's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Still there's nothing like gently squeezing the trigger "BANG"...1 sec later... spotter calls "HIT"...2 seconds later... distant "DING"
smile.gif
Also there's an Appleseed range in Ramseur I want to check out... they do a timed match with steel targets out to 500 yds. I think it is with mostly iron sight service rifles but they'll probably let some guys like us play maybe just not in competition with the iron sight guys.

Well, I'll go right ahead and throw in and say if anyone wants to set up a place to shoot, I have heavy equipment experience and can even handle a shovel, axe, and or chainsaw if need be.I will gladly volunteer my time and effort to have a safe place to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a 900yrd range and I'm looking for some experienced responsible shooters to shoot once a month or so. I usually just shoot steel out to 500 because trying 900 without a spotter has been a futile waste of ammo for me. If you're interested in an invite pm me your contact info and a little bio. I live in Huntersville, but my land is in Anson Co. Being that it's turkey season, I may try to get out there a couple time this month. Hunt the morning, then crank up the rifles around 10:30.</div></div>
PM inbound

I shoot at a local gun range in Jacksonville that only gets out to 225 or round about....

I sapose if it was my only option, Ide cart my ass out to western NC for some range time, but Ide be inclined to spend the night as to get in a full day of shooting.

Im TRYING to find folks w/ property out here in eastern NC thay will let me shoot for $, CL ad's and want ad's in gun stores...no luck yet though.

Ide be happy with 600-800 yards prone if I could find it within a 2 hour drive!

Fayetteville is close enough. Itll cost you, but that range 37 operation in bunnlevel is within driving distance of you. I don't know how often they let people shoot on the 700 meter range. It's pretty expensive to as I mentioned in another thread. Could give them a call and see what the deal is.

Afternoon match @ DSM @ Woody's just south of Raleigh is indivdual comp from hide in prone 300/600/800 yd

Im in jacksonville too and a little birdy whispered in my ear that there is a rifle club called coastal carolina rifle club that shoots matches up to 1000yds on stone bay. Heres their website. I went to one of their matches this weekend as a matter of fact.....

http://www.coastalcarolinarifleclub.com/

Anyone shoot around the peidmont? I live in winston and have a hard time finding places to shoot. Usually I shoot on family land on occasion, but its getting harder to get out there. Just curious if anyone lived near me and had a place to shoot that wouldnt mind some company.

Feel free to PM me.