• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necessary equipment for the "first round hit".

The_New_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
NJ
I've always wondered what the most perfect equipment would be for the bullet to perfectly strike a target in one hit from an unknown distance, unknown wind, and etc.

It's very impressive for me to watch shooters get the first shot off on a target at 800+ yards and perfectly hit it. How would you be capable of such shots?

Off the top of my head:

Laser Range Finder
Ballistic Calculations (DOPE chart)
Utilizing "quick-fix" from angle shooting (http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/ShootingUphillAndDownhill.pdf)

What other equipment would be necessary?

A good chronograph is a must in order to be able to input the correct muzzle velocity, range finder, Kestrel weather meter to get density altitude and wind speed and direction, and knowing all the correct information to input into a ballistic calculator, obviously a rifle and scope that is set up properly, and the most important factor, lots of practice.

1) Knowing the range.
2) Knowing the wind.
3) Properly executing the fundamentals.

That's all the equipment you need.

1) Knowing the range.
2) Knowing the wind.
3) Properly executing the fundamentals.

That's all the equipment you need.

Practice, practice, and more practice.
With practice you get your dope.
With more practice you learn your rifle cold bore shots.
Even more practice you learn to read the wind.

I'm just starting out, and have bought equipment to help me learn but it all comes down to what you can do.

Everyone has already summed it up! Practice is the only thing that will significant improve your skill and produce those cold bore hits. Reading the winds at distant is the most difficult thing to master, so look forward to those windy days to improve your shooting!