• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Necessary upgrades/modifications for long range

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
Help a noob to long range shooting out. Rather than dig through numerous threads to find the info, I thought I would start a thread to condense the info I need into one place.
I have a barreled Remington 700P action in 308. I sold the stock, and am now looking to turn this into a long range rifle. So far, I have had a new bolt knob installed.
I know I need the action trued, and I plan on dropping it in an AICS 1.5 stock as funds allow. Do I need to have this particular stock bedded, or is it a true drop-in stock? The scope (for now) is a SS 5-20, but I may have to sell it due to bills. Should I get a 20 MOA base for it, or does it have enough elevation already? Anything else I need to have done to ensure maximum precision? Thanks in advance.

Re: Necessary upgrades/modifications for long range

20moa base is a good idea even though that scope has plenty of travel. A brake is awesome for long range shooting and allows you to watch impacts and use that ffp scope to its potential. After what you have listed a good trigger and an anticant device and good bipod and your set.

Good luck,
Merritt

I had contemplated getting the barrel threaded for a brake, but I didn't know if it would enhance performance or just look cool.

personally, if it were me, I'd spend all that future gimmick money on rounds down range, learning to judge wind and mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally, if it were me, I'd spend all that future gimmick money on rounds down range, learning to judge wind and mirage. </div></div>

That would be ideal, but due to college I have little time to shoot and the furthest I have access too at the moment is 100m.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally, if it were me, I'd spend all that future gimmick money on rounds down range, learning to judge wind and mirage. </div></div>

Also, like I said in the OP, I sold the stock. It is kinda hard to shoot a rifle that doesn't have the stock.

Good trigger, good glass, good load and make sure the barrel is free floated.

Never understood the bedding, hell ya should be able to take the action out of the stock and shoot it. Maybe someday someone will explain it to an old ignorant fool like me.

Sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, breath control, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, breath control, breath control, breath control . . . . POW !!!!

Suggest you put the rifle you have in the stock you want and sign up for Rifles Only online traning. Follow the the dry firing drills till you can drop in position perfect when not at the range. Spend the money on ammo to fire the dot drills and when you can clean it, timed as in the training video. You will be more prepared for long distance than truing the action, tweeking loads etc.

Then its off to long range when possible learning wind and mirage.If possible get proesional instruction if you have time off from school. Not the answere people want to hear they rather spend money, you can't buy hits, the rifle you have in a stock can out shoot most people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally, if it were me, I'd spend all that future gimmick money on rounds down range, learning to judge wind and mirage. </div></div>

That would be ideal, but due to college I have little time to shoot and the furthest I have access too at the moment is 100m. </div></div>

An AICS is a drop-in ...

You don't need a brake to see a 308's impact ...

And if all you have is 100m ... Aim small. Shoot small.

Thanks for all the advice. A new precision course just opened up near my house, and I hope to someday be able to get some good training. As for ammo, I still need to get some various types and experiment. Unfortunately, I do not reload at this time. Maybe someday in the future. Unsichtbar, thanks for the heads up about the online training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if your aim is to be learn how to shoot well, but you're sweating fundage ..., buy a 22LR. </div></div>

I have 5. Right now I need time to shoot more than anything.

My personal opinon is that if your rifle won't group good you will never know what your true potential is, I wouls want a proven group before istarted ruling things out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help a noob to long range shooting out. Rather than dig through numerous threads to find the info, I thought I would start a thread to condense the info I need into one place.
I have a barreled Remington 700P action in 308. I sold the stock, and am now looking to turn this into a long range rifle. So far, I have had a new bolt knob installed.
I know I need the action trued, and I plan on dropping it in an AICS 1.5 stock as funds allow. Do I need to have this particular stock bedded, or is it a true drop-in stock? The scope (for now) is a SS 5-20, but I may have to sell it due to bills. Should I get a 20 MOA base for it, or does it have enough elevation already? Anything else I need to have done to ensure maximum precision? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

You are focusing on the shit that means the least.

Hint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help a noob to long range shooting out. Rather than dig through numerous threads to find the info, I thought I would start a thread to condense the info I need into one place.
I know I need the action trued, and I plan on dropping it in an AICS 1.5 stock as funds allow. Do I need to have this particular stock bedded, or is it a true drop-in stock? The scope (for now) is a SS 5-20, but I may have to sell it due to bills. Should I get a 20 MOA base for it, or does it have enough elevation already? Anything else I need to have done to ensure maximum precision? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

You are focusing on the shit that means the least.

Hint. </div></div>

By all means, enlighten me then. Like I said, I am a noob to shooting at longe ranges. My rifle is in pieces right now so I can't get a group until I get a stock. I am well aware that I need to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. The above posts have already said the same thing you are saying.

"In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

I copied that off of someone's sig line. Basically, focus more on you becoming a better shooter before focusing on all the equipment. It's more about the indian than the bow is another good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good trigger, good glass, good load and make sure the barrel is free floated.

Never understood the bedding, hell ya should be able to take the action out of the stock and shoot it. Maybe someday someone will explain it to an old ignorant fool like me.

Sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, breath control, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, breath control, breath control, breath control . . . . POW !!!!</div></div>

Make sure you have the first 4 things Killer Spade listed. Then get behind the rifle for dry firing practice and work on the last 3 things he listed.

The 700P bedded,wearing a trigger tweak and good base/rings/glass...with the Chassis fundage extropalated to 155 Scenars sent down range,would bear far more fruit.

And I hate the P handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Easily Done</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 700P bedded,wearing a trigger tweak and good base/rings/glass...with the Chassis fundage extropalated to 155 Scenars sent down range,would bear far more fruit.

And I hate the P handle.

</div></div>

So you would advise say a Manners stock properly bedded over an AICS chassis?

Tom makes a good handle,but a fake McMillan is of no interest to me.

Pass the real shit,hold the fluff.