• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

neck bushing help please!

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
Just got into reloading and need a little help.

22 Creedmoor
Dies are the RCBS MatchMaster

I didn't realize I needed a neck Bushing. But if I do what they recommend they don't make a bushing that are size .253. From what I am seeing with the size/caliper. I do see just the blank .253 but is that just a generic size that will work with the 224?

Necking down 6mmCM Lapua brass. For the most* part I am getting .015 brass thickness with my calipers. So that's .015 x 2 + .224 - .001 = .253

Should I just buy a few of the 22 cal bushing? I mean I do shoot 223 and soon the 22 CM so I could play around with neck tension or am I going about this wrong?

neck-bushing.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CarbonMTN
Redding dies *should* work in your RCBS die. At leas that's what I've read elsewhere online. Hope it's true, because I have a set of RCBS dies and Redding bushings enroute

.001 isn’t enough neck tension, I add the case neck x 2 plus the bullet diameter minus 2-3 thousands.
Redding also recommends .001 tension....

You don't need to do all that measuring unless you just want to, make a dummy round and measure outside diameter of the loaded neck then minus your .002 or however much neck tension you want. Order bushing, done

Redding also recommends .001 tension....

If you neck turn or use a high-quality (consistent) brass like Lapua, then you can get away with .001. If you don't, then variation in neck thickness can cause the tension to be too light - you load up 50 to go to the range and when you get there you find a handful of bullets have fallen into cases.

Should I be stepping down my neck on my 6mm Lapua brass for 22cm?

Factory O/D neck is .271 and then after I put it thought the neck tensioner of .252 the assembled is .261 O/D neck. with the .010 shrink, should I be stepping it down as I go?