• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck dies....any reason to avoid Lee collet dies?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I need a neck sizing die for 7mm-08, any reason to avoid Lee collet dies?

Re: Neck dies....any reason to avoid Lee collet dies?

LOTS of 1000 yard bench rest shooters I trust use Lee Collet Neck dies........

"I need a neck sizing die for 7mm-08, any reason to avoid Lee collet dies?"

There certainly is! How can you impress anyone by saying you got that great accuracy with a simple, inexpensive Lee neck die with no bushings!
wink.gif

Nope. I love them. No lube and straight necks!

I don't use a neck size die specifically(I have my FL die set up to bump the shoulder a little) ALL of my dies are Lee...I don't see the need to pay for the high priced competitors personally. The accuracy I have gotten using Lee confirms it for me. Why pay more? I say run it.

Lee collet dies are simple, inexpensive and work extremely well. Whats not to like?

I generally use a Redding body die followed by the Lee collet in a co-ax press - not sure I can do much more to prevent run-out to be honest.

Can't think of one.

Suggestion, though. Order an extra mandrel with it. They're not hardened. I got careless and didn't have the case aligned and ran the mandrel alongside the case. Grooved the case and bent the mandrel. Ya gotta do something stupid once in awhile.
whistle.gif

Another +1 for Lee Collet Dies. Funny how some people will swear that all Lee dies are junk, yet have no understanding of how the collet die functions. It's a great design, and results in minimal runout.

Yet another +1 for Lee collet dies. I use it for 308. Yields great handloads. Any runout is corrected with a Hornady concentricity gauge. I've also tried RCBS neck-size only dies, but saw no advantage. The Lee dies work just as well for half the cost.

another vote for lee collet dies, i use one for .308 and it works fine.

I use Lee .308 Collet dies and they work great.

Soo...Lee Collett die and a Redding Body Die and I can ditch my Lee FL Dies?

+1 for Lee Collet and Redding Body die, that's my setup and like it much better than FL sizer with expander. Instructions (as with most dies) aren't very good though and if you don't get it set up right you'll be cussing and posting about how terrible Lee dies are. Check out this link for setup directions;

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?48671-lee-collet-dies-neck-tension/page2

And do take it apart when you get it. Check to make sure it's clean and then use a little grease as described in link.

Back when I had a .30-06 rifle I used a Lee collett neck sizer die with great results.

But now...

Strangely, I am able to load sub MOA accurate rounds in .260, .308. and .300wm, all with Lee full-length sizer dies, all on a Dillon 550.

No co-ax press, no bushing dies, no concentricity gauge, minimal case prep.

Thanks for the information, looks like I will be ordering a couple Lee collet sets!

You won't be disappointed. That's all I've ever used. I tried the bushing dies once and didn't see an improvement so I went back to the lee neck die.

Thats good news ive been wondering the same thing. Using these over full length dies wil improve the loadings i get from my brass

Lee collet neck dies have help me achive an outstanding level of accuracy in a 308 and 300 WSM. No reason I will ever change to a bushing style die at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats good news ive been wondering the same thing. Using these over full length dies wil improve the loadings i get from my brass</div></div>

not to mention. you may never have to cut your brass....