• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck sizing mystery...

EventHorizon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
NC
OK, so I usually only neck size my 6.5CR Hornady brass. These are cases that have been fired 12 times. As part of wanting to get uniform lengths I body sized and then neck sized and trimmed to equal length. I then do the rest of the usual process of priming, loads and when I go to seat.... the bullet practically drops through the neck. With some I can seat the bullet by hand... I re-neck sized and again, I can seat the bullet by hand and pull it out as well. There is a point where the bullet seats 'fast' but even then, with a firm pull I hand take it out without the press....

I made sure my bushing is facing down towards the mouth of the die (Redding Comp Seating dies) and cleaned the die top to bottom just in case...

what gives?

The only thing the stands out to me is annealing. Most of my brass doesn't live long enough for me to be a expert in this area. But after 12 loadings the neck has to be getting work hardened. My guess would be you bushing can't overcome that enough to regain your neck tension.

Sounds like you need to anneal your cases so you don't experience the level of springback you're getting. If you've gone 12 firings without annealing this is not a mystery.