• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Neck Tension for SMK 175 HPBT

BamaAl

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Harvest, AL
Does anyone know off hand if SMK 175 HPBT like a lot or a little neck tension? Trying to decide if it is worth switching over to Redding S type dies and if so would it be better to get bushing that sizes the neck down .001 or .002. Just don't really feel like buying a bunch of bushings to test if it's a pretty standard answer.

Re: Neck Tension for SMK 175 HPBT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaAl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know off hand if SMK 175 HPBT like a lot or a little neck tension? Trying to decide if it is worth switching over to Redding S type dies and if so would it be better to get bushing that sizes the neck down .001 or .002. Just don't really feel like buying a bunch of bushings to test if it's a pretty standard answer. </div></div>

I use bushing dies for a lot of cartridges and while I haven't tried all combinations of neck tension for all the carts that I load, I can say that most people here shooting bolt guns, try and achieve that 'mythical' .001"-.002" amount.

Whether ammo shoots better with more tension, or even a light crimp, is up to the reloader and the reloader's weapon and shooting abilities.

Only one way to know and that's to buy some bushing dies and see for yourself.

I probalby fall in the .001"-.003" range, but since I don't turn and/or ream my necks, that range is a bit on the sloppy side, however I think that I load pretty accurate ammo.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaAl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know off hand if SMK 175 HPBT like a lot or a little neck tension? Trying to decide if it is worth switching over to Redding S type dies and if so would it be better to get bushing that sizes the neck down .001 or .002. Just don't really feel like buying a bunch of bushings to test if it's a pretty standard answer. </div></div>

It depends on your rifle, case neck consistency (amount of thickness variation) and load. For bolt guns 0.001"-0.002" works very well for most folks but gas guns need more tension for reliable feeding. Brass quality plays a part too with cases that have very little variation in thickness you can get away with less neck tension and still retain loaded round integrity. If you have cases with necks that vary in thickness more than 0.002" you will need more tension than cases with 0.001" variation or your bullets may or may not be too loose.

Just depends on what cases you have and how you shoot it's best to try it and see as there is a bit of a learning curve involved. My advice to you is that if buying a new die, a few new bushings and having to learn something new is going to discourage you stick with whatever you are doing now. But in the long run you will be missing out on using some excellent tools and methods for reloading better ammo.

HTH!

I run .003 in my 308, 260, and bolt 223.

.001 - .002 works good for unturned lapua brass. after a few firings the bushing that was originally .002 will probably give you .0015 as the necks thin out a little. If you want one bushing and your main goal isnt 1000 yard competition I would go with that.

another important step is having a good chamfer on the inside of the case mouth and no burrs on the outside. if you feel burrs on the outside either use an outside chamfer tool, trim the necks a little or use some steel wool. once its gone it should stay gone. if they reappear you did something silly to create it. in the end you want each bullet feeling the same when it is seated. you do not want the case mouth peeling up part of the bullet jacket. if they all feel the same you are going a good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaAl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, thanks for the info guys. Midway here I come. :) </div></div>

Look in the 'group buy' section.

Midway has become 'ass rape central' over the past 4-5 years.

Chris

Doesn't really matter how much neck tension you start with. If it's much over .002"-.003", the bullet will just act like an expander and the extra "neck tension" will just contribute to increased seating pressure with the accompanying "plug ring" in the bullet. In the end the case expands and the metal yields so all you end up with is the same amount of "pull tension" as if you'd started out with .003" to begin with.

Unless you have a collet puller and a means of measuring the amount of pull it takes to remove the bullet from the case, you really don't know what your neck tension is. You just know what the diameter of the case mouth was before you seated the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuiggyB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.001 - .002 works good for unturned lapua brass. after a few firings the bushing that was originally .002 will probably give you .0015 as the necks thin out a little. If you want one bushing and your main goal isnt 1000 yard competition I would go with that.

another important step is having a good chamfer on the inside of the case mouth and no burrs on the outside. if you feel burrs on the outside either use an outside chamfer tool, trim the necks a little or use some steel wool. once its gone it should stay gone. if they reappear you did something silly to create it. in the end you want each bullet feeling the same when it is seated. you do not want the case mouth peeling up part of the bullet jacket. if they all feel the same you are going a good job. </div></div>

Yep, the goal is 1000 yards. Chamfering and deburing is already working well. I've been OCD working on a load, more out of fun than anything, and the latest test yielded 5 round groups of .34" at 100 off the bench. Frankly it's better than my shooting right now, and I think I'm going to leave it alone for now and just shoot. As my skills improve then I'll take the reloading up a level. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting a little obsessive about the process and missing the point a little. The load doesn't make me a better shooter. Wait, did I just say out loud that I'm acting like a gear freak?
laugh.gif