• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Tension Question

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I usually FL size, all. I tried a neck die to quicken up a major batch of new Lapua 223 brass for Prarie Dog shoot coming up soon. Also, I loaded up untouched brass. Chronoed it all and the untouched brass most consistent speed and best target.
Neck sized only, well I do not like the way my die is working, marking the brass oddly.
The untouched brass has .0015 neck expansion when loaded. My fl sized makes .002.
These loads are a bit compressed. I think they will be ok to run this way.
Is this a sound plan?

I assume you mean once fired for (major batch of new lapua) and virgin brass (untouched brass) in a bolt gun. what make of die are you using, I prefere the redding comp dies with the ultra hard changeable bushings and I must say ive never seen one mark the casing also i would go for .002 neck tension. with the virgin brass I just check the case mouths for any dinges prime and load away. I don't understand what you mean (the loads are a bit compressed) this would be down to the powder charge and have very little to do with full or neck sizing. what loads are you shooting, for the smaller varmints I like 50g ballistic tips over 25.5 hodg benchmark in lapua brass.

I have read that compressed charges can need a minimum of grip on the bullet, more than some may find necessary with no compressed charge..
Partly why I asked the question as I have only been doing this for about 18 mos.
I am getting comfortable with my level of neck tension offered by loading these bullets in this brass as is.
I am getting excellent results down range and they hold their dimension in transit.
Looks like I have a good 'easy' way to make a bunch. I'll fl size em when I get them back home.
I will add that the 'OCW' development method I learned here helped me to be able to evaluate better. Right or wrong, I have a safe load and confidence.
ETA; I used to shoot the 50gr. ballistic tip for 17.00 a box of 50 till my barrel was toast.
Now a 8 and shooting 75's. Shooting these quite fine too, thanks to APA, My mentor, and several others.
I will be taking a 9 twist Remington shooting 69's also. Wind howls where I go. Shoulda got a 243. I'll keep with the 223 however. I like it.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I did. My buddy [MENTION=70]Rob01[/MENTION] let me borrow three of this neck bushings and a bushing neck sizer. With F/L sizing a Forster die and Win Brass, I only received 0.001" neck tension. I neck sized with the appropriate bushing after F/L sizing. Then I loaded 10 rounds with 0.001", 10 w/ .002", 10 w/ .003" and 10 w/ .004" for the two bullet weights. I chrono'd each lot for ES and DS and checked out groups at 400 yds. I was using a 308, and I received the best results with 0.004" using 168s and 0.003" with 175s/178s. My wife's rifle, which had a different action and twist, performed best with 0.003" neck tension and 168s.

My 'test' was a short one but I have very little time and have results that make sense and shoot.
To evaluate the neck tension on my load and apply the findings to refinement is not my immediate goal but valuable info as I proceed to learn.
I believe with these long muthers [75 amax] and a neck dia. growth of 0.0015, My rounds are well made and the target shows good results.
It looks to me that in my rifle, a bit 'less' with new brass out performs a bit more with worked brass.
I am going to have to anneal next, or learn how to, in order to keep all this straight.
In the mean time, I do not see any reason not to keep churning out rounds with virgin brass for this trip as they look to be fine.

Knot
I am going to a ranch belonging to the Uncle of a good friend who lives in the Black Hills.
35 miles or so other side, east and north, of Rapid. Hot, Windy. Shale covered dams, rolling hills to shoot 'down' from.
Other cool stuff also. Indian camps can still be seen with rock outlines. Wildlife. Great for a city dweller like myself.

I'll be in Nebraska and So Dakota 8/5,6,7 for P dog hunting. Haven't found any where in SD except

Dog-Gone Safaris
HCR 75, Box 240
Hereford, SD 57785

Herford. Small world indeed. There is a ton a serious ton of dogs on the adjacent property where I shoot. In Herford. Its a good area. I do not know addresses. That is a unmolested piece of America.
Get ready for the gravel roads.

eta I will check em out. I will be out there before you and will report the deal.