• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

neck tension

canuck4570

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Ile Bizard near Montreal
I am using a Redding bushing die
would like to know a proper neck tension for my 308 winchester using 175 SMK
is .002 enough or should I put more
I will not be using a crimp
rifle TRG22
Thank you....

Re: neck tension

Good starting Point! You never know! Every rifle is different. Start there and go up in tension.

Terry

As a side note! The LEE collet neck die is a good item to play with your neck tensions without having to buy 4-5 neck bushings. I have been using them in 308 and 223 with good results.

In my opinion for a bolt action .002" of tension is within +/- .00075" of perfection

Working up a load is like baking a cake. There are multiple ways to get the end result. .002 is normally a safe place to be. I personally have never seen anything like more than that. What you'll find is that if you worked up a load at .002 tension and then changed it to .001 it's going to obviously shoot different. In my experience it will speed up. In that case if you were to slow the load back down where the previous velocity was it would shoot fine. So at the end of the day it's the combo that works not this nk tension or that.

.002" is what I strive for with a max of .003". I agree with Jared, much over .002" and it starts to south.

Measure a loaded neck and deduct .002" for turned necks and .003" for non-turned necks. Your measurement will be the bushing size.

I have to expose my ignorence here and ask how to measure neck tension. I am fixing to start loading for a semi auto for the first time and I need to be proficient in this. No flame pleez.

Measure a sized case and a loaded case, the loaded should be a bigger number, on my 260 I use a .290 bushing, loaded ammo measues .292, hence .002 neck tension

I have found out the hard way if you go less than .002 and your shooting a compressed load. It will not have enough tension to hold the bullet the correct coal. I guess if your jamming them in the lands it won't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: couesnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found out the hard way if you go less than .002 and your shooting a compressed load. It will not have enough tension to hold the bullet the correct coal. I guess if your jamming them in the lands it won't matter. </div></div>

Just how soft IS your brass?
I run .0015-.002 NT for all of my .308 loads, both bolt and gas guns. Never had an issue.
Running 44.5 Varget in FGMM cases w/175 SMK's
Respectfully,
LG

LC 4 fired I was surprised too. I had a match on Sunday and I opened my ammo box and all the bullets were unseated. I did not shoot to well that day. I have now increased neck tension to .003 just to be safe.

5.56 LC brass
24.7 varget
OAL 2.295
77 nosler CC
The oal varied when they came unseated. I don't know how much I didn't have my calipers with me.

I have never had peak accuracy with more then .002 tension , I run .0015 in my TRG , and all of my rifles no matter what caliber. I have had a good friend who could not get his handloads to shoot. I spent some time with him and finaly found he was running .004 tension. We dropped it to .0015 and the groups went from .750 - 1.250 to sub .500 consistantly. He was having uncalled fliers in diffrent locations. After dropping the neck tension and repeating everything else he was doing the fliers were gone. I dont want to sound like this is a rule its just what I have found over many years of reloading. Try diffrent things and see what works for your setup. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Losing Nemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to expose my ignorence here and ask how to measure neck tension. I am fixing to start loading for a semi auto for the first time and I need to be proficient in this. No flame pleez. </div></div>
"Interference" is a more descriptive term because if you stick a bullet that measures .308 into a case neck that measures .306, something's gotta give. Nonetheless, "neck tension" is the term that's stuck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Working up a load is like baking a cake. There are multiple ways to get the end result. .002 is normally a safe place to be. I personally have never seen anything like more than that. What you'll find is that if you worked up a load at .002 tension and then changed it to .001 it's going to obviously shoot different. In my experience it will speed up. In that case if you were to slow the load back down where the previous velocity was it would shoot fine. So at the end of the day it's the combo that works not this nk tension or that.
</div></div>
What he said!!
I had JJ build a 6.5 Creedmoor for me. It is one more freakin' laser beam.
Anyhow, .001 neck tension is all I have. I bought Hornady dies (no bushing) and that is all they built in them! I don't know if they knew that worked well or they missed a spec but, as long as it works, I don't care.