• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Turning before or after case cleaning?

Bulldog Firearms

Bulldog Lover
Commercial Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
www.bulldognm.com
So I have 320 count of once fired 260 lapua brass fired through my rifle. I want to go ahead and turn the necks and then neck size and get them ready for round 2. Is it okay to just go ahead and turn the necks then proceed with the cleaning neck sizing etc? Or do I need to clean then neck size then turn the neck? Because wouldn't I need to clean again to remove any residual contamination from brass debris left over? Probably doesn't matter and this matter is probably covered in some other threads but I couldn't find a good answer.

Thanks,

Andrew

I thought turning the necks would help runout. At least 1/3 of the brass I load with Redding Competition dies has .003 runout or more measured on the bullet. The other 2/3 is below .003.

-Andrew

Clean, full length size and use an expanding mandrel to ensure that the inside diameters of all necks are the same. K&M makes an inexpensive expanding mandrel and holder for about $18 which will do the job.

I guess not being a bench rest shooter I don't bother with new Lapua brass.

Regards,
L

If you do turn the necks there's no need in turning them 100% cleanup all you want to do is cut the high spot off so a good 70-80% of the neck turn is plenty sufficient. This is of course if it's a factory chamber.

If you're concerned enough about neck turning, then you will also be fire forming your cases once. Therefore cleaning is a moot point, in that it will be clean after your first fire forming. Therefore, any tiny brass dust you can't bang out after you next turn will come out on your second cleaning....... if that makes any sense.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I usually just brush the inside of the necks before turning, just to get any dust or giblets out of the way. I'm a paranoid neck brusher. It happens before seating bullets too.

--- aim small miss small ---

I neck turn my brass during the initial case prep with new brass. If you turn fired brass you will need to size the neck and expand with a expander mandrel so you get a proper fit on the turning mandrel. The 21st Century tool with the lathe is a fine tool especially when used with carbide turning mandrels. Extremely fast and accurate.