• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Turning Question?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I've decided to uniform my .308 Lapua brass some by turning the necks. I have new brass and some twice fired from a new build. Lapua is quite consistent, but I can see some value in turning the necks.

Questions-

Do you neck size your new brass or wait until it is fireformed?

What is your preferred brass prep technique prior to turning?

I'm a long time reloader, but never turned necks before. I shoot high scores in F Class and am looking to improve on that if possible.

Thank you.

Re: Neck Turning Question?

I would resize,using whatever method that you use.Then you expand the neck to fit the turning mandrel.Sinclair makes a die for this that works well.You need to have them trimmed to a uniform length.You can turn fired brass,but most turn it when its new.I would not turn very much off,maybe just enough to clean up 75 or 80% of the neck. Pete

Leaddog,

1. Neck size small and run through an expander.

2. See #1.

3. Use a carbide turning mandrel, preferably one which reams the inside of the case neck.

4. Turn into the neck about 0.015" to prevent donuts.

5. Take off about 0.001" at a time.

6. You may benefit from sizing the brass down to where it barely fits over the mandrel to remove any donuts.

HTH,
DocB

Here's how I do it, new brass
FL size with a non bushing die with the expander removed
Expand the neck with the supplied expanded mandrel
Trim to a uniform length, I use my Giraud
Deburr in n out if you don't have a Giraud
Turn the neck, I use a 21st Century Kit
Polish the neck with 0000 steel wool
Tumble the neck turning lube off, I use imperial Sizing Wax

The 21st turner is very easy to set up and use, price includes shipping

Don't forget a ball mic!

The Sinclair expander die with the neck-turning mandrel is the ticket. Be patient, it's rarely in stock!

I am a huge advocate of NOT neck turning, but it sounds like your application might warrant it. If you are always up in the 190s, the turning might net you a point or two sometimes - helpful to make the difference between master and HM.

I suggest doing it to new brass after it's been sized under, then expanded. Also, go for 50-75% cleanup on the neck.

As mentioned, case length must be uniform, and set your stop up so you run the cutter into the shoulder .010-.015" to keep donuts away.

Great info. Thank you.

I went with the 21st setup after reading German Salazar's review and the good feedback from users.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's how I do it, new brass
FL size with a non bushing die with the expander removed
Expand the neck with the supplied expanded mandrel
Trim to a uniform length, I use my Giraud
Deburr in n out if you don't have a Giraud
Turn the neck, I use a 21st Century Kit
Polish the neck with 0000 steel wool
Tumble the neck turning lube off, I use imperial Sizing Wax

The 21st turner is very easy to set up and use, price includes shipping

Don't forget a ball mic!

</div></div>

This is pretty much how I turn my necks as well with exception to the polishing the necks.

427Cobra mentions an important thing about using a standard FL die without the expander and not a bushing neck die. This is the only way you can size all the way down to the shoulder. Most bushing neck dies leave a small portion of the neck/shoulder junction untouched by the sizing process. This is inherent to their design. If you use the neck bushing die you will more than likely start cutting in too much into the neck/shoulder area unless the brass was perfect out of the box.