• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need 380 weapon suggestions?

Eagle1*

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2006
Ohio
I am in the market for a small, slim 380 pistol that I can use in the summer when I am running. I run for fitness training at my work and usually do it at night after I get off of work.
I am simply wanting something light weight and slim that can clip to the inside of my shorts while I am running.

I used to have a Kel-Tec but sold it because it was not 100% reliable so I am asking any of the hide members what 380, if any do you have and how reliable has it been for you? I see that S&W has the new body guard out but dont know if I need the laser or not. Really the only other gun is the Ruger 380. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks E1..

Re: Need 380 weapon suggestions?

Try the little sig. Someone had one for sale here on the hide. Most of the other 380's have sh$%^# triggers. The best I have found is the P7K3, they are hard to find and pricey.

I have the LCP in .380. The Bodyguard "felt" more like a real gun but I shoot the LCP better. I've shot both. I'm not sure I really "like" any of the small .380s but their concealability can't be beat. The LCP is a true front pocket gun. No failures witnessed so far with the LCP or the BG but I've used powerful self defense ammo. I did get slightly snake bit with the BG; I have large hands and I'm used to full size guns so it was my fault but I've had no similar troubles on the LCP.

My walther ppk/s is damn acccurate at close range but a little bulky for running imo, check one out maybe you will disagree.

I've got the Glock, 26, LCP and the PPK/S I have fired a few hundred rounds from the LCP with no issues, I carry Remington Hollow points in it. The PPK/S, and G26 are bulky and not much of a running gun. I carry the LCP in the front pocket of jeans, shorts, it is almost invisible in a T-shirt and shorts. I have considered the LCR for more punch, but the LCP is so thin that it just works. For day to day and heavier clothes I carry the G26

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig 230/232. They are hell on guys with big hands though. </div></div>I've heard the same thing about the women who assemble them in the factory in Europe.
laugh.gif

I have a LCP and have put quite a few rounds through it with no problems. Mines an accurate little booger too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig 230/232. They are hell on guys with big hands though. </div></div>

These are about as large as the PPK/S The LCP is quite a bit smaller

My gf carries a P238. she loves that little thing! very heavy trigger though (8.5lbs I think)

We got her the Keltec PF9, because I wanted her to carry something bit heavier in caliber, but that PF9 kicks VERY hard. she was pretty scared of it.

needless to say, I took it from her, and now it's my 'running/shorts' gun. with a Remora holster, it works real well. it's actually lighter than the P238 LOL

when it kicks, it kicks though... it's unpleasant to shoot (especially +P)

but hey, when I need it to most, it can kick like a .50AE, I could care less...

I own, have owned or shot just about all of the little .380's currently on the market.

The Kahr P380 is probably the nicest shooting out of all, but the price is a little on the high side.

Of the more reasonably priced gun, I really like the S&W Bodyguard and could tolerate shooting the LCP if the need arose.

in your explanation of the use you said to run with. i hate s and w since they hooked up with bill clinton but their bodyguard is nice and the integrated laser is nice. the laser is a great tool and once irons are mastered i suggest all my officers try a laser they offer many advantages and breathing hard and having to possibly shoot to a distance unknown the stress of inter human aggression adrenalin i say get a laser. i carry a kel tec p380 as a back up in my back pocket on duty and have no complaints, with a crimson trace on it it just works!

ive shot a few sig p380's similar to the colt mustang ie single action and have a hard time believing someone got one with an 8 pound trigger ive found all the ones ive shot had excellent triggers when compared to all the others with dao.

I would go with a Kahr P380. If that is out of your price range the S&W .380 Body Guard would be the next pistol on my list.

I sig P238 is a great pistol too, I just don't like the exposed hammer for pocket carry.

Sig p230/232, black version is lighter than the stainless. The magazine has a plastic piece on bottom that makes it comfortable in a large hand.

I have owned a Kahr P380, and it was a great pistol after 250 rounds. The trigger is sweet. I sold it to buy a Rohrbaugh R9 9mm. I liked the Kahr better than the Ruger LCP or Sig P238. I have owned both of those guns. The Sig P232 is great, but it's a little big for concealed carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had good luck with the LCP and the Colt Mustang/pocketlite. </div></div>

I second the colt mustang if you can find one that is.

I bought a Diamondback .380 a while back. i like it and its really small, fits in my pocket well. it would be right up your alley. it was around 400$. Its kind of a new company, a few people from glock branched off to make this .380; extreamly easy to break down and clean. its a 6+1. my only suggestion is to get the extended finger mag, makes it an extreamly comfortable pocket gun. let me know if you have any questions! ^_^

Been searching for the "perfect" little 380 over the past couple years. Started with a few keltecs, the clip option was nice for carry in the summertime, via the carry clip. Couldn't shoot them very fast, trigger was goofy, tough for large hands to hold onto. Then, got a kahr 380, it was a jam-0-matic, even well after 300rnds of various makes of ammo and different mags. Seemed like it was engineered with to steep of a feed angle or somehting and maybe not enough rearward slide travel,could never get thru more than 3 shots, let alone a whole mag. The trigger also has a crazy gap up top when pulled the edge cut into the trigger finger and the frame seemed to be self destructing on the plastic guides up front. Jumped on the LCP bandwagon, it ran one hundred percent, with any ammo, I just couldn't hold onto the thing, liked to jump outa the hand. Got another LCP, after selling the first, now with the extended mag extension, it felt better, could hold onto it fairly well, but the other issue was the trigger being tough to run very fast and with xxl hand size and long trigger finger. Switched back to a revolver for awhile, but missed the small size of a 380. Picked up a couple more LCP's, both ran 100 percent, like the previous ones, very reliable 380.
Then, discovered the diamondbacks. Being a glock fan, I sold the LCP's and picked up a couple diamondbacks on sale. Didn't really have any issues, just felt kinda weird in the hand, sorta goofy grip angle, didn't like the big square trigger guards, the triggers released at the very end of it's travel and wasn't couldn't shoot very quick with them. Shortly after that, I seen a S&W 380 and had to try one. They had the laser button issue on the first ones, so I had to wait quite awhile for what I'll call a gen2 bodyguard (updated version w/different laser button/etc). It's the winner, for me, in every category, except maybe the laser, I have no use for the laser, but who knows, might come in handy some day. Have done quite a bit of shooting with it, qual'd with it as a backup gun a couple months ago and am very glad to have made the move to one. Highly recommend the bodyguard 380!

I have both the BG and the LCP both are vary reliable the BG feels better in hand and the sights are better for my eyes and I like how the slide locks back when you are empty. The laser is over rated and not easy to turn on and off. but would work well if you had time to get it on. it is jest hard to push the button. the LCP is nice but the sites are small and dose not fit hand as well (for me that is) you can get a clip for it to go in paints witch is nice. The trigger on the LCP is smother but both guns group well with practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own, have owned or shot just about all of the little .380's currently on the market.

The Kahr P380 is probably the nicest shooting out of all, but the price is a little on the high side.

Of the more reasonably priced gun, I really like the S&W Bodyguard and could tolerate shooting the LCP if the need arose. </div></div>

I had a P380. it had the best trigger BY far, but the most unreliable thing I had ever owned. I found you you had to break them in with 200 rounds, so I dealt with all sorts of jams upto 450 rounds, and when I was still having 1-4 per trip (50-100 a time) after 450 rounds of break in, I gave up, and sold it.

it was picky on the ammo it used.

great trigger, very unreliable.

for running, the sig might be too heavy honestly. I think it weighs more than my PF9.

I would reccomend the ligthest reliable gun for running. which would be a P3AT or the P32... not the best worksmanship, but they work. and they are very reliable for close shooting.

stiletto,

I can't give you a great review of the DB, as I haven't put that many rounds down range with the one I have. For the first 50-60 rounds, it would jam every 3 or 4 rounds (mostly failure to feed, but some stovepipes)--the manual says it needs 100 rounds to settle in the components. Like I said, I only have 150 rounds through it, but the last 100 ran smooth without issue. The last 25 or so I ran rapid fire and didn't have any issue. The high grip axis really helps with muzzle flip, and getting back on target was pretty easy for such a small pistol, and the sights are actually useful unlike many of its competitors. Also, I've got rather meatly paws, but can get 2 fingers on the grip, versus just one.

Overall, right now I'm undecided one it. It was an impulse by as a possible bug but since I haven't pcs'd yet (and can't carry right now-thanks Illinois!) I haven't spent enought time with it. I had a buddy shooting with me, and we both liked shooting it once it settled down and started feeding without issue. Hope it helps.

I bought the S&W Bodyguard 380 for my wife last Christmas for her carry. It has had a few hundred rounds thru it thus far without any failures to feed/fire. I have since fallen in love with it myself and plan to pick one up to augment my own carry. I live in Florida where beach attire is the norm so being able to carry such a slim pistol and not worry about printing is nice. My primary carry is a Glock and that can be rough to make disappear at times.

Having the laser is nice and I am always up for more capabilities. It doesn't impede the function of the weapon so if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. However, if you should decide that you want to use it, it's there. Lastly, I love the design of the gun as it just looks "sexy". I wouldn't mind if they built a larger version of it.

For the carry, I have a kydex holster made by DeadeyeLuke, local here to FL gulfcoast, but he has a website. Highly recommend him; he is good people with a great product. -Hope this helps.

Friends LCP doesn't feed hollows well at all. I am partial to a 9mm kahr. I know you looking for a 380, but if you want something small I would take a look at it.

I'd also like to see a nice review of the Diamondback. It looks interesting. I've had both the Sig and Kahr, and no longer still have either. I just haven't been able to find the right fit.

I have a p238 and I'm not sure I would put my life on the line depending on it. It's a great looking little gun... nice size, weight and looks great. I love the sa trigger and basically everythiing about it except that Sig has had upteen million revisions on it and I have had the recoil spring fail on me. Had I been in a bad situation at the time, I'd be dead.

My wifes carry gun is an LCP 380. Has about 6 boxes of HP's thru it without a hickup. She originally carried a Smith LW J frame but always complained it was to bulky. For a 380 wearing shorts, I'd go with the Ruger.

Hope this helps.

Eagle1*
LOL your killing me brother, call me when we are both off and Ill take you to where you can put your hands on all of them, hint hint.

If you're running, the LCP is about as light, thin and polymer as you can get. 800+ rds. through mine, both RN & HP, no problems. Hose her down with oil and go.

I'd be willing to bet that the guys that suggested the SIG 230/232 use it as a primary CCW. It is a little bigger than some of the other .380s but that is part of the reason they are so shootable. Mine had a few stoppages in the first hundred and has been dead reliable since with both ball and various HPs. It's probably at a 1000 plus in round count. The blued version is 17.6 ounces unloaded and is more than a quarter pound less the SS. If you care about how well you can shoot a small carry gun, the 230 is a great answer.

im not very good at reviews but ill try... i did have a problem with feeding with the DB for the first two boxes but it quickly sorted its self out. i didnt say anything because i thought it was just mine that did it ( my buddies never jammed up on him), after the breaking in was over everything was smooth, it has a great feel its compact, fits in my back pocket, is is pretty accurate as far as i can tell from my shooting. love it for my pocket pistol. if you do get this i would highly suggest getting an extended finger magazine. as the normal one is good the finger extension is just that much better. hope this helps, if you have any questions pm me and ill get back to you as soon as i can.

How about the new Kimber solo. I think the 9mm would be a lot better than the .380. Cheaper ammo too. They are a hair bigger than the LCP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the new Kimber solo. I think the 9mm would be a lot better than the .380. Cheaper ammo too. They are a hair bigger than the LCP </div></div>

There's a 200-300 fps difference between 9mm and 380 if I am not mistaken.

that means a person will absorb all of the shock of a 380 as it's less likely to go through the person and expend the energy outside the body.

(I'm no egg-spurt).

The point of the firearm is to run and be lightweight - per the OP, a firearm is a life saving device...

SO it doesn't get any lighter or smaller or LIGHTER than this!

lcp.jpg

What about the little Sig P290. Have heard good things about it. Have not been able to handle one yet. I never had any problems with the DB380 that I owned. They just released he DB9.

Ive always had real good luck with Bersa .380's.

But not to forget, the new S&W Bodyguard is top of the line. Shot a couple.

Of all the pocket guns that I have sold over the last few year's that they have seemed to get popular the Sig and the Bodyguard have had the least problems. My wife carries the Sig and has never had any problems with it.

To bad she had me paint it, now I cant carry it
sick.gif

2011-06-28_08-56-41_744.jpg