• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need 7mm-08 short barrel help

Climate17

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
I'm looking to build a short 7mm-08. I'm going to use a 16" barrel but I wanted to know what the best twist rate would be for 139gr bullets.

The best twist for 139/140's is 1-11". A 1-9" will work just fine though in case you want to go with heavier (longer) bullets.

*corrected

Last edited:
I have a 17 inch 7-08 that is 1 in 9. It shoots 130, 140, 162 and 168 very well. I have not checked speed on anything other than the 168 vld's and they were running 2525.

I told the builder I wanted a 7-08 to hunt with and target shooting from 600 in. This is what he built and it is very handy.

I like to play around in the reloading room, so if building another one, I would want the same 1 in 9 twist so I could shoot whatever I wanted.

Good luck with your build.

I have a 17 inch 7-08 that is 1 in 9. It shoots 130, 140, 162 and 168 very well. I have not checked speed on anything other than the 168 vld's and they were running 2525.

I told the builder I wanted a 7-08 to hunt with and target shooting from 600 in. This is what he built and it is very handy.

I like to play around in the reloading room, so if building another one, I would want the same 1 in 9 twist so I could shoot whatever I wanted.

Good luck with your build.

What barrel profile did you go with?

What barrel profile did you go with?

It is a BlackOps Kukri. I think Mike has his own plan on the size of the barrel, but it is a little bigger than a Rem Var, but maybe not as large as the MTU. BlackOps web site might tell the size.
I really did just tell him what cal and what I wanted to do with it, then let him build what he thought I needed. This might not work for everyone, but this worked well for me.

I am planning on running a can in the future. But not right away. Where I live a 500 max yard gun is plenty. Most people don't shoot well enough to need that. We get a lot of 250-300 yard shoots. And in not afraid to admit that if your not getting in and out of a truck your hiking for an hour and a half to three hours and I'm just over the long barrel heavy magnum thing. I want a short, light and quick handling gun. I know that it's a strange thing to say in my home state (MT), but I hunted this last year with my wife's model 7 a little bit and now I'm hooked. So I'm going to make a custom shorty for me (with all the goodies of course).

17, for me a 23" is about the max, and I really prefer the feel of a 20-21" bbl in handling, but with a stiff sporter, like a 3, 4 or Light Palma contour for steadiness.

M7 never floated my boat in precision, had a few, rebarreled one, cured it. Not a flyweight rifle fan, but like a portable rifle that handles well, short bbls have advantages in certain uses. Most of my uses do not require more bbl or speed, though I detest blast.