• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need a 1-6 or more?

mckelveymx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Alabama
I'm in the market for a 1-6 or 1-8, maybe even a 1-10. Been hearing a lot of good things about swfa ss 1-6. How do these stack up to the leupold 1-6? What are some other options in this catagory? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Re: Need a 1-6 or more?

What gun will this be going on? What range do you plan on shooting at regularly? What is the farthest you need to shoot? Many different variables but for me and my 16" REPR the 1-6x should be just about perfect.

LMT MWS 16" I will be shooting regularly 100-300. Occassional 600. I have a good friend who was a scout sniper with the Army Rangers that is going to teach me to shoot as far as the rifle will consistently hit. I'm hoping for a 1000, but I'm trying to be realistic.

The SWFA 1-6 is not out yet but should be a very nice scope. Would be looking hard at that one.

A general rule of thumb is to figure one power of magnification for every 100 yards distance you intend to shoot. A 1-6 would be fully capable of exploiting your weapon's capabilities while not compromising weight and balance. the SWFA is a worthy choice, especially for the price point. There are others and you can spend two or three times that if you want. Depends on your goals, what you want, and how much you are willing to spend. But, it's only paper until you spend it.

I use a 1-6x24 Swaro z6i on my 16" SR-25, and it works great out to 600 meters, it's really an outstanding optic. The 1-6 is plenty of power within the ranges you are describing.

The Leupold and the SWFA are not yet out, so it's really tough to compare them, although I did get to briefly check out the Leupold 1-6 and it is really nice as well. I'm not a big fan of the CMR-W reticle, because it uses a BDC instead of just being mil based, but the TMR version would work great.