• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need a 1911 22lr conv.

fast freddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
P.C. Florida
just bought a springfeild armory operator. now i need a 22lr conversion so i dont go broke shooting it, which i plan to do, alot. so which one to get? of course as cheap as possible, but it needs to work.

Re: need a 1911 22lr conv.

That lets out the most accurate: Marvel and Advantage Arms/Marvel.

Ciener, Kimber, AA,They all work. An adjustable sight model is worthwhile.

I had an advantage arms kit. Worked great but for the price you can buy 1,000+ rounds of .45.

Id get the new GSG 1911, 2 guns is better then 1!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an advantage arms kit. Worked great but for the price you can buy 1,000+ rounds of .45. </div></div>

Or 15-20,000rd .22.

If you like to shoot a lot, 1,000rd .45 doesn't last long.

If you have a 1911 of any account, the GSG isn't going to be as much fun or as good for training as a good kit on your enhanced frame.

I like the Advantage Arms kits. I have one for my 1911, G20, and G27. They work very well and the last shot lock is nice. My kids can go out and get the feel of the full size gun without the recoil or the cost.

get the marvel w/threaded barrel you wont be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get the marvel w/threaded barrel you wont be disappointed.</div></div>

+1

My ciener platinum cup will put 10 shots in an inch at 25 yards if you do your part. There are 10 and 15 round mags available. I don’t know anything about any other conversion units.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love my marvel!! </div></div>

Same here, if I did it over I would probably get the Marvel "Unit 2". I, have the "Unit 1" and it's great and very reliable, super accurate and I've got the barrel threaded for a future suppressor. Only 2 downsides: the sights are tall so can be difficult to fit a holster and the way the slide works you can't do and overhand reload.

JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an advantage arms kit. Worked great but for the price you can buy 1,000+ rounds of .45. </div></div>

Or 15-20,000rd .22.

If you like to shoot a lot, 1,000rd .45 doesn't last long.
</div></div>

True but the 22 conversions loose a lot of appeal quickly if you really start training with them.

The weight isn't there, the recoil isn't there, its fun to shoot and great for plinking turtles and cans but thats about it.

For the 350 or so your gonna spend on a kit you can get a reloading setup for .45 and start cranking out ammo for about 6 bucks a box.

In my training, before I got my .45 reloader, I would use a .22 Ruger 22/45 with the same grip angle as a 1911 I would use it to get into the proper mindset. I could shoot about 50 or 100 rounds and work on the sight alignment sight picture, trigger squeeze etc. And then I would shoot the .45 1911 or HKusp .45 and get the recoil and my scores improved as well as my times on the clock, because I was working my bugs out before I had to deal with the added recoil.
when the bullets are not free any little thing can help,

Can't go wrong with the Marvel. This one will run Tenex into 5/8" @50yd.

DSCN2834.jpg

hangunnr

I've got a Kimber in silver that has about 50 rounds through it. I just see no
advantage to it over shooting the 22 pistols I own. I guess for holster work it
would be good practice and with cheap bulk ammo you can get a lot of "clearing"
practice as well.