• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a AK for the new year.

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    North Texas
    Father in law asked me about getting an AK tonight. He is looking to pick one up and everyone knows I am the “gun guy” to talk to.

he knows I don’t buy cheap guns anymore so he already knows I won’t recommend cheap so that’s good he already knows he’s gonna spend a little money.

I have to admit that I do not know much about the AK as I only ever had a WASR (back when I was broke and wanted something). I know always build higher end AR’s and left the AK alone.

he doesn’t need or want to pay for a Rifle Dynamics build (he’s got money but if I say $2500 for his first rifle he probably will look at me crazy) so with that what are the middle of the road brandsthat are easily obtainable?

only request is it be modernized a little. Have a good rail, be able to mount a red dot for his older eyes.

Does he want a collector piece or something he will shoot? 7.62x39, 5.45, 7.62x54r?

Some good ones

- Molot VEPR 7.62x39 16.5" barrel w/folding stock ~ $1599
    - SAM7

Reactions: Bakwa
    7.62x39. Going basic and it will get shot some.

he’s wanting a long gun and a pistol all of a sudden because of the political climate pretty much.

I’m really happy with the AK Lee Armory built me. They make quality stuff.

The AK realm is a little strange and cultish. “Best” has a lot of opinions and very few real standards.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
    Yugo O-PAP is a solid ak with a thicker receiver that is as accurate as you will find with a hammer forged barrel and has bolt hold open feature with yugo mags . I run an Ultimak railed gas tube that allows a red dot to cowittness with the iron sights. There are lots of options out there for 7.62x39 aks

I'm a traditionalist, I prefer the wood furniture over the polymer furniture.

WASR or N-PAP for basic AK.

Really nice milled AK with magpul furniture at a killer sale price right now. Paid $800 for mine which is the going price. Quality and AK accurate. Tempted to buy another at that price.

I’m holding out for the Kakashnikov USA for my next one. No idea when it will be released though. I have the KP9 (9mm) that they make and it’s really nice.

Is it the 7.62 round that is appealing to him or the actual AK?

He wants a 7.62. Rifle in a rifle caliber. He has handguns.

Arsenal is looking really good but damn they have gotten expensive. Anyone know of places around Dallas Fort Worth that is worth shopping at for one?

I’ve never been an Bug AK guy. More of an AR person but a few years ago I picked up one of the AK’s that Century Arms makes and it has worked without issue. Somewhere north of 10K rounds through it. Just my opinion.

Just get a Krebs Custom:

https://www.krebscustom.com/products/category/23-rifles

Mine is loads of fun, 100% reliable - and even accurate.

IMG_0435.jpeg

Look at the Arsenal 107 series or the SAM series. An alternative is the VZ 58 from CSA, not exactly an AK but worth looking at.

I have a Gen 1 Century C39 and if you are looking for a high round, hard use gun I would suggest to stay away from the C39. Check out the AK Operators review along with comments from users on web boards. If this is not a hard use rifle then the C39 Gen 2 or PSA should be good options.

Reactions: Bakwa and MSTN
    Im a lifelong AK guy and Ill be the first to admit my VZ58 its just a better rifle. That said WASR if going cheap and Arsenal if spending a bit more. I actually managed to score an Arsenal SA93 last year new in box for $800 to convert into a Type 3 so deals are out there.

The problem I am running into is that the good AK's/VZ's are out of stock unless the price is >$1500. It's a waiting game at this point for me.

Arsenal is said to have good guns, lots of options with them. PSA seems to have their shit together with their AKs for the price as well, but it probably won't be as nice as an Arsenal or Molot. Molot Vepr is probably the best gun out of all of them, but it's not a real AK. If you want a true to AK-47 gun I'd go Arsenal.

Like someone else mentioned, the AK world has a lot of different spec options with very few standards. They go from shitty to excellent while spanning nearly identical AK-47 clone to the Molot Vepr.

Reactions: Bakwa and Mwalex
    Since you guys keep talking about the VZ58 I just happened to run across this article that Brownell's is going to sell an exclusive version of the VZ58.

Since you guys keep talking about the VZ58 I just happened to run across this article that Brownell's is going to sell an exclusive version of the VZ58.
    That is a beautiful rifle but not cheap.

Want an AK47, get the real deal. Russian made. Vepr or saiga. Then customize it down the road how you want to.

Want an AK47, get the real deal. Russian made. Vepr or saiga. Then customize it down the road how you want to.

Going to have to look on the used market for Saiga since they're now allowed to get imported into the USA anymore.

Stay far away from American made aks, they are junk. Many reported issues with the quality of the metals on the internals, making those things downright dangerous.

For a shooter on the cheaper end a wasr will get the job done, for something a bit more refined a stamped or miller arsenal.

Also you can find mak 90 for decent prices and they are great aks. Just make sure you get a square cut receiver if you want to tact it up.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bakwa and Mwalex
    get an Arsenal SLR107FR. how do I know? I have 3 of them. (2 never been shot, collecting dust) they r a tough find since imports dried up.

Build a Krinkov off of a legit Tula parts kit.

Or get a VZ58 compact and SBR it. If I was into 7.62x39 thats the gun I'd use.

Anyone know if they ever managed to make a forward rail for it? All it needs is a spot for a VFG.

Build a Krinkov off of a legit Tula parts kit.

Or get a VZ58 compact and SBR it. If I was into 7.62x39 thats the gun I'd use.

Anyone know if they ever managed to make a forward rail for it? All it needs is a spot for a VFG.

I ended up gluing and screwing a rail onto the OEM one on mine.

Holy shit, a thread in the semiauto section that isn't about ARs!

Do not buy a RAS 47 or a C39; if you buy a Century only get a WASR as Century only imports them and they are a true combloc built rifle, manufactured at Cugir in Romania. If he wants a shooter and not a collector then Russians and most of the Chinese are out of the question. Do not buy an IO.

The PSA G3s are probably the best US produced AKs that weren't a home build, or a Krebs or Rifle Dynamics. The Vz 58 isn't an AK and has nothing but ammo in common with it so I am not sure why it was mentioned here but I'll not continue that discussion.

For a while the best option available here was the Bulgarian Arsenal line, particularly their milled guns which are literally a semiauto version of the full auto assault rifles they make to fill military contracts. However, for reasons that have been discussed to death even the SLR-107 and SAM7 lines aren't available easily new anymore. You may be able to find one at an estate sale or something, but if you want new and in stock your best bet is either a PSA or a WASR. The nicest AKs are milled but you will be looking at $1100 or so instead of $600 for a stamped gun. SLR-107FRs haven't been imported in some time and the SLR-107R (no folding stock) is only available through KVAR on auction sites new. Also, the rumors are that the post-2014 imported SLR-107s is that they aren't fitted or finished as well as the previous batches, however I can't say for sure because mine are 2013 production.

Supposedly WBP Fox is going to be importing more rifles within the next few months; those are Polish and as such are a true combloc rifle and of good quality.

Remember 15 years ago when a good AR was $1000, and a good AK was $400? Yeah...those days are long gone, reverse the prices and you have the current AK market. AKs are way more labor intensive to make adn then you have to get them across the pond and deal with customs requirements. After the 7n6 ban a bunch of dudes got out of 5.45 rifles so deals on those turn up from time to time (even on the Russian Izhevsk made SGL rifles), and due to the political climate today many people are trying to consolidate to ARs and selling AKs to fund that. Don't balk at a gently used Bulgarian SAM7 as they are one of the nicest AKs that were imported and they only dried up recently.

There are always good threads over on AKFiles talking about the best of the currently available rifles, comparisons to imports past, pricing, etc... so its worth a look over there; I don't think you need to be a member to view the general rifle discussions. A lot of the members over there are wizards when it comes to the history of AK imports in this country, and many of them are still building them in their garages.

There are a good number of MAK 90s available on Gunbrokers and the prices are not bad. There is also decent after market parts available for modifications. While not a combloc AK they are as rugged as they come. I have had one for over 20 years with no problems.

So much good advice and so much bad advice in this thread.

OP,
    To read through the chaff and find the wheat; I'll help you out.
    If you only read posts 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 18, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 31, 32, 39, & 40 you'll do alright.

You'll notice the pattern with AK's and AK type firearms:
    Domestic made ranges from "be wary" to "stay away".
    Foreign made ranges from "rock solid, conflict proven" to "do your homework"

Do check out AK Operators Union... Rob with help you out if you're willing to listen to him yap and have fun.

This is my personal list of AK's that I would recommend if you can find them and if your budget allows.
    VEPR-FM
    SAM7
    SGL-21
    SLR-107
    Anything Chinese

Here's a realistic list of available AK's that seem to remain readily available which I would recommend.
    WASR
    WBP FOX
    Z-PAP

There are many other AK's out their that are very good finds. However, if you don't know what to look for with regards to how they were converted, how they were assembled, or what they were assembled with, then I would not risk a purchase.
    Some of these can include converted Saiga's, Maadi's, kit builds, boutique US "custom shops", etc...

Sorry for the length of this post... This was the short answer.
    Feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can. A few others in this thread seem to "know AK's" as well.

Cheers

check the marketplace on akfiles, ar15 and maybe even GB. i may unload one of my three if needed.

I just wanted an AK to have an AK and ended up buying a wasr on sale for under $600 because it is a combloc AK. It is also the most durable and longest running stamped ak at battlefield Vegas according to the owner on the ar15 thread, if that means anything to you.

I ended up buying a Galil style folding stock and swapping it out. I replaced the handguard with a magpul because I have long arms and it gives me more room to grip.

It is a pretty handy rifle in the folded stock configuration, and is pretty easy to conceal and store even in an automobile. The cheap steel case ammo that I would never put in an AR doesn't hurt, either!

He wants a 7.62. Rifle in a rifle caliber. He has handguns.

Arsenal is looking really good but damn they have gotten expensive. Anyone know of places around Dallas Fort Worth that is worth shopping at for one?

The gun shows used to be a good source but, things have changed a lot. Try Big Town in Mesquite and Market Hall in Dallas. Don't waste your time or money in downtown Fort Worth.

still looking for an AK? I will part with (2) spare Arsenal SLR107FR in 762x39. have upgrades, never fired. have 3, only shoot one.

btw, i'd never trust my life w/ a WASR10. :rolleyes:

Check out the PSA AK-E. Looks to be a good value.