• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a barrel for my AIAT LFP (6.5C or 260? and where to buy)

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I think it’s time to get a barrel that will reach further than the 308 factory barrel.
The gun is a 2014 AIAT that should have a large firing pin. I have 2 questions:

6.5C or 260?
I’d like to stay with Lapua brass. I believe Lapua only makes small primer brass for 6.5C. I’m afraid that could cause potential problems with my large firing pin. I’m therefore leaning toward the 260.

Where to buy?
I recall reading a topic where someone had headspace issues with an aftermarket barrel. I don’t remember if it was because he had a small firing pin and the dimensions were a little different with the LFP for which the barrel was made or it was something else. I just don’t want to end up buying a barrel and have tolerance issues.

Bottom line: 6.5 or 260…..and where to buy

Creedmoor, all day long.

Many sources here. Josh at PVA will map your gun out and make each subsequent barrel specific to your gun. Ive had perfect experiences with mile high and AINA barrels. Wouldnt worrry about it either way, if headspace is bad, the maker will correct it. Those barrels are the exception though, not the rule. Mine have all been spot on, verging on tight(my preference), not the other way around.

Yes, a one time thing. He charges $75 if I recall. The results are yours i believe, and that info could be given to anybody whipping up a barrel. PM him here, he's responsive to them.

Dont be too concerned about it in general though. Out of spec barrels are not the norm.

My Gradous 6.5 creedmoor barrel shoots amazing. I would definitely recommend one.

I have a 6.5 CM. Cheaper match factory ammo versus the .260 from Prime or other avenues. If you reload, I don't know what caliber would be cheaper.

Much flatter shooting and more wind resistant than the venerable 7.62x51 which I also love.

Bought from EuroOptic and worked perfectly.

Last edited:
I bought a .260 barrel from mile high and couldn't be happier with the service. I've been shooting .260 for around 20yrs, it works well and I have all the stuff for it so I stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a .260 Gradous barrel for my AT from OTM. It was on the shelf ready to ship.
Euro Optic, Mile High, and On The Mark all have great barrels.

I have 260 and a 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for my AT both Gradous barrels purchased from OTM. Both are 26 inch with gen 2 little bastard muzzle brakes. They both shoot bug holes...Ray

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.
Can you guys please specify if your rifle has a large firing pin or not?
Did you all had to send your rifle for measurements? When I read "on the shelf ready to ship", I suppose that's not the case.

Don't send it out, call Euro Optic and get one of their 6.5 CM barrels. They ship the same day typically. Get it, screw it on and shoot it. That's the big selling point of an AI.

You don't need to ship anything out, that's the beauty of the AI.. I have an AI/AT and have bought barrels from OTM, MileHigh and Eurooptic, All headspace fine. I have the LFP and shoot the .260, also had a 6.5CM, basically the same round, didn't need to inventory two different loads. Both loads cost the same to reload.

For those of you shooting the 6.5C with a large firing pin....is anyone using Lapua brass with small primers?
BTW that AO barrel looks like a good deal at $650 vs almost $800 for Europtics.

I have the LFP with my .260. I didn't send my rifle in. Mile High had the barrel out to me in a day.

Tooley Custom Rifles (Dave Tooley)
3317 Candlewick Way
Gastonia, NC 28056
Phone: (704) 864-7525
Email: [email protected]
he spun up THE FACTORY barrels before A.I. U.S.A. started the operation themselves, what else can you say. he also posts on the forum .

Since I don't see replacement barrels in other bolt face calibers, I'm assuming you can't swap the bolt head on the AI? I.e., no .223 trainer.

Since I don't see replacement barrels in other bolt face calibers, I'm assuming you can't swap the bolt head on the AI? I.e., no .223 trainer.

That's correct, no small bolt face bolts available. The AI bolts are two pieces, but they dont break down like a savage.

I picked up a Win Tactical, 24" 6.5 CM barrel from Mile High for my AIAT. Hope to try it out in the next few days. Should be a plug and play. Got one box of Hornady ELD Match 140 & 147 to try.

That's correct, no small bolt face bolts available. The AI bolts are two pieces, but they dont break down like a savage.

10-4. Thanks for the reply. I have never considered a rifle that I can change barrels until now, so I'm still learning the platforms. Really looking for one where I can keep practice costs low and wear off the 6mm barrel. For the AI it looks like the answer to that is practice in 308 at the cost of a little higher components compared to a 223 or download a 22 creedmoor or 22-250. There isn't a lot of barrel life info out there on those cartridges when down loaded, obviously because that isn't what people usually chamber them for.

Does the AX308 have user swappable barrels? It is clear that the AXMC does but I'm not interested in the ability to run the larger calibers on a larger action.

10-4. Thanks for the reply. I have never considered a rifle that I can change barrels until now, so I'm still learning the platforms. Really looking for one where I can keep practice costs low and wear off the 6mm barrel. For the AI it looks like the answer to that is practice in 308 at the cost of a little higher components compared to a 223 or download a 22 creedmoor or 22-250. There isn't a lot of barrel life info out there on those cartridges when down loaded, obviously because that isn't what people usually chamber them for.

Does the AX308 have user swappable barrels? It is clear that the AXMC does but I'm not interested in the ability to run the larger calibers on a larger action.

As I understand the post 2014 AX does have the quick change barrels. The post 2014s are easily to ID. Look for the skeletonized butt stock.

The post 2014 is user changeable (less than 2 minutes ) & should have the small firing pin. Also the good thing about practicing with 308 is more recoil, if you get used to spotting shots with the 308 the others you would use in competition will be easier.

All AI barrels can be changed by the user. The pre-14 AX (like the AW) require a action wrench and vice and only takes a few minutes. The 2014 and on AXs and AT and AXMC only need a 4mm hex wrench to change the barrel. EurOptic did a blog post on it. http://www.eurooptic.com/blog/post/...le-decoder?utm_source=eoic2017&utm_medium=JAB

I put an order with Mile High. It’s a Bartlein blank and Mile High will chamber, thread and cerakote the barrel. I went with 26” length chambered in 260 rem. It should be ready in a week or so.

I put an order with Mile High. It’s a Bartlein blank and Mile High will chamber, thread and cerakote the barrel. I went with 26” length chambered in 260 rem. It should be ready in a week or so.

I got the barrel last Wednesday and took it out today for the first time. I'm pretty happy with it. The finish of the chamber is very nice.
I did an OCW (below link) with 147gr ELD and the barrel exhibits good accuracy across a wide range of loads.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...opinion-needed

I'd go 260 just to stay different from all guys with 6.5creedmors that can instantly shoot 1000 yds because they have a creedmore.